Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Group Harvesting for Pantheon?

• 40 posts
    January 20, 2018 8:24 AM PST

Really enjoyed Vanguard's harvesting system, especially the group harvesting aspect, hoping that type of dynamic is brought over into Pantheon as well.  Adds a little bit of something to a sphere that doesn't typically offer the most exciting type of gameplay.

• 71 posts
    January 20, 2018 12:24 PM PST

Animae said:

Most definitely need Group Harvesting!  One thing that we had in SWG that was great was we could get a group together to harvest hides, meat, or bone from mobs.  First, you got the extra from the number of people in the group.  Second, each person was rewarded with a small harvesting bonus for being in a group.  This was really important when resources with better stats came into shift.  Having stats on resources that changed from time to time and place to place made a much more diverse crafting system not to mention an economy just for trading resources.  I could see loads of fun fighting people off on a PvP server where a rare mob found in a limited area was dropping a high stat resource.  Oh my... that just gets me all excited!  LOL I might need marriage counseling when I have to tell my wife... "sorry I can't right now, we are killing people for a rare resource!".

Yes that was an awesome feature in SWG.  Vanguard had that feature on mining nodes. I do not recall anything with skinning or other harvesting how ever i maybe mistaken and just didnt do them in vanguard... But adding such a feature in pantheon would vastly seprate it from other MMO's.  Would love to see the group harvesting aspect bleed into all harvesting types not just mining. Extremely intersting, promoting people to group together meet new friends or just be grouping with your guild if you have one.  I love that idea.

• 1785 posts
    January 20, 2018 1:00 PM PST

Wisdom said:

Animae said:

Most definitely need Group Harvesting!  One thing that we had in SWG that was great was we could get a group together to harvest hides, meat, or bone from mobs.  First, you got the extra from the number of people in the group.  Second, each person was rewarded with a small harvesting bonus for being in a group.  This was really important when resources with better stats came into shift.  Having stats on resources that changed from time to time and place to place made a much more diverse crafting system not to mention an economy just for trading resources.  I could see loads of fun fighting people off on a PvP server where a rare mob found in a limited area was dropping a high stat resource.  Oh my... that just gets me all excited!  LOL I might need marriage counseling when I have to tell my wife... "sorry I can't right now, we are killing people for a rare resource!".

Yes that was an awesome feature in SWG.  Vanguard had that feature on mining nodes. I do not recall anything with skinning or other harvesting how ever i maybe mistaken and just didnt do them in vanguard... But adding such a feature in pantheon would vastly seprate it from other MMO's.  Would love to see the group harvesting aspect bleed into all harvesting types not just mining. Extremely intersting, promoting people to group together meet new friends or just be grouping with your guild if you have one.  I love that idea.

Vanguard's group harvesting was enabled for all harvesting abilities (skinning, mining, gathering, logging) and worked exactly as the original post described, including being subject to group loot rules :)

I mentioned this up above but the overwhelming majority of folks on this forum support group harvesting and if you read back you'll find dozens of threads where it gets brought up.  I'm pretty sure the devs will be working to put it in if it makes sense and is possible to do.

• 88 posts
    January 20, 2018 3:44 PM PST

Klumpedge said:

I loved group harvesting in VG. Calling your guildmates together to harvest an ultra rare node to gain every last shard. Awesome.

Guarding that node until everyone arrived and the nervous tension that went along with the wait. Again awesome.

I loved it.

It's like we played the same game bud.  This was also my experience and part of what made Vanguard special.  I hope this is one of many areas they can use to recreate the magic of past MMOs.    

• 49 posts
    January 21, 2018 5:14 AM PST

While I did play Vanguard, I didn't get to experience the game to its fullest due to deployments and other obligations at the time it released, so I don't remember a whole lot about this. It sounds good, though. Incentivizing group interaction with things like this is good for promoting the community aspect of games, which I believe the devs have as a top priority. It also kinda reminds me of the runes in Shadowbane, where a lot of times you needed to roll with a group to obtain, especially the more sought after runes.

This post was edited by Nevron at January 21, 2018 5:14 AM PST
    • 45 posts
    January 21, 2018 9:57 AM PST

Nephele said:

Vanguard's group harvesting was enabled for all harvesting abilities (skinning, mining, gathering, logging) and worked exactly as the original post described, including being subject to group loot rules :)

I mentioned this up above but the overwhelming majority of folks on this forum support group harvesting and if you read back you'll find dozens of threads where it gets brought up.  I'm pretty sure the devs will be working to put it in if it makes sense and is possible to do.

Its really awesome to hear that it is being mentioned a lot. That gives me hope that it will be added :) I think this thread is really great because it focuses on the subject matter. And people ( especially in my guild ) are passionate about it. This is a great way, that the devs have provided, to express ourselves and having "yet another group harvesting thread" with a little more up to date info is helpful <3

• 3 posts
    January 23, 2018 6:58 AM PST

I'm curious as to any potential negatives to this system? (if there are any). With all that has been stated, I do not see why this system would not be considered by the Pantheon team.

• 24 posts
    March 24, 2018 3:30 PM PDT

Yeah I dont see any downsides either

• 3852 posts
    March 27, 2018 8:45 AM PDT

I agree in all respects.

• 59 posts
    March 31, 2018 10:32 AM PDT

I like the idea of group harvesting nodes. Not sure how increasing the yeild of the node would pan out in terms of economy, but at the very least be able to decrease the time it takes would be good. I could even see nodes in raid content requiring help to harvest. Outside of that, just depends on if the yeild would have a huge impact on the economy or not, from my point of view. 

• 2886 posts
    March 31, 2018 6:40 PM PDT

For those that haven't already, see crafting dev Ceythos' thoughts on group harvesting in my interview with him here: https://youtu.be/y3qG-RdZBD8?t=2090

• 313 posts
    April 1, 2018 9:40 PM PDT

In general, I really dislike the whole notion of nodes and harvesting.  I think this is one of several areas where MMO's have stagnated.  I have a few ideas on alternatives, but I realize that this is probably a lost cause.  Anyway, one concern that I have with some of the suggestions being tossed around here is that if you give significant benefits to having multiple harvesters cooperating on a node, that will force people that don't like harvesting to level it to help the guild. 

Now, I'm all for finding ways to encourage people to work together, but there are good ways and bad ways to do this.  If the end result is something like this: "Hey, Zoltar.  We really need you to level mining or forresting up to level 100, and we're going to spend an hour thursday running around clicking on nodes as a group so that we can have a much better chance of finding rare materials"... that is a bad outcome.  However, if it's something like "Hey, Zoltar.  Bob needs to harvest some materials from this difficult to reach place in zone. X.  To get there we need to do x, y, and z.  And we'll have to protect him because it takes a long time to harvest and the mobs in the area will target anyone trying to take their stuff"... that's cool.  Very cool.  

TLDR: find ways to reward groups that cooperate in resource gathering organically, not by just rewarding gathering a mob of players to mindlessly click nodes.  

• 14 posts
    June 24, 2018 8:13 AM PDT

It all comes down to a group component. Each person in the group will have a job when group harvesting occurs. First, you will need to have someone with the right tools and skill set to get maximum outcomes from the harvest. On most job sites you have a skilled worker that has the knowledge to obtain maximum results, a few laborers that will assist the technician, and a security staff to protect them while they do their jobs. While harvesting in a group, each person doing their job effectively should allow for the best possible outcome. The best materials should be a challenge to obtain and require teamwork, not some random character clicking the node hoping not to aggro the mobs nearby.