Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Harvesting update in Jan newsletter!

• 18 posts
    January 17, 2018 7:15 AM PST

The newsletter didn't say much that we wouldn't have known from previous games with similar harvesting, but honestly I can't wait to give crafting a try.  I've been obsessed with crafting since EQ in spring of 2000.  The new info about harvesting is nice since you'll have all 5 skills to use, also the additional items that can drop during harvesting is intrigueing.  I can't wait to see how these additional items go into affect with tradeskill recipes.  Never thought about bark and sap being something used in game for tradeskills but it makes sense and kind of funny that i've never seen it before in a game.

Here's to hoping for more crafting info on next update, or even better yet.....more alpha access to open up for harvesting testing!

• 105 posts
    January 17, 2018 8:12 AM PST

Indeed though the way it reads is that everyone will have access to all harvesting:

"When it comes to interacting with harvesting nodes, all players will have access to 5 skills they can raise through use;

• Fishing
    • Gathering
    • Mining
    • Skinning
    • Woodcutting"

If that is the case I'm not sure how i feel about it... I didn't like that in ESO, it felt a bit overwhelming and the completionist in me just couldn't run past a node without picking it up which quickly led to full bags of crafting mats. I'd much rather if everyone could fish and then pick one harvesting skill to focus on. 

I do like the idea of other mats coming out like bark and sap etc, LOTRO did this and the additional mats were used to raise the quality of the crafted item if I remember correctly. 

This post was edited by Kipling at January 17, 2018 8:12 AM PST
    • 3852 posts
    January 17, 2018 8:21 AM PST

It is going to be a LONG time to high level if this means that each character gets every skill. I never met a node I didn't like!

The quoted language is not entirely unambiguous, however. It COULD be read as saying that any character has "access" to all harvesting skills without being limited by race, class or crafting profession but that the character still might only be able to pick 1 or 2 or 3 of the skills.

• 1785 posts
    January 17, 2018 8:55 AM PST

I don't mind everyone being able to gather everything.  I also don't mind people having to specialize.  I could go either way.

What I *do* want to see though is gathering tools/gear that matter.  You shouldn't just magically pull out a hatchet to chop wood and that basic hatchet you got early on should be inferior to a more expensive hatchet you can pick up later on.  That way serious gatherers are doing more in the economy than just selling materials.

Likewise, I'd love to see group harvesting bonuses like in Vanguard.

• 3852 posts
    January 17, 2018 9:14 AM PST

As Nephele says I wouldn't mind one character being able to harvest everything, but I also wouldn't mind some limitations. Limitations encourage alts and I am an altoholic.

Vanguard had a wonderful system with group harvesting, special crafted harvesting tools and clothes and the like. Not to mention rare and ultrarare nodes. 

I am sure the team can do even better in Pantheon but if they simply steal, er ((cough)) take most of Vanguard's features I will be delighted.

• 8 posts
    January 17, 2018 9:21 AM PST

I think it will probably be a system that everyone can do basic harvesting but will only be able to focus on and master 1 or 2. Just like in the original Everquest, as I remember it, you could master a certain skill but still had the ability to level up some of the other abilities needed to complete certain quests. Anyone who acquired one of the class specific Epic Weapons knows the time it took to get brewing or tailoring up to a certain level so you could complete a section of the quest. You didn't have to master every profession but the sence of accomplishment you felt from completing your first epic weapon quest was awsome. Also as I remember it certain professions such as jewle crafting was really focused around an Enchanter because they were able enchant minerals. Or Tinkering was a profession that Gnomes were able to do. 

I'm looking forward to the crafting system no matter how it plays out, and can't wait to make my first leather tunic or backpack. 

• 18 posts
    January 17, 2018 11:56 AM PST

I really enjoyed vanguard's crafting and harvesting system.  Had everything you could desire.  I don't mind being able to use all harvesting skills, hopefully they put something in to focus on one or two skills that give you a bonus if you specalize in that particular skill.  Either way this game can't come soon enough

• 123 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:10 PM PST

I don't mind being limited or not by gathering skills, the most important is the crafting skills being limited to ensure player interactions. That could be a good options though, if all gathering skills are available, to allow only one being 'mastered'.

• 2752 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:29 PM PST

I believe they will all be open to being mastered by everyone. They said they don't want harvesting limited like crafting as all the items will also be coming from salvaging and NPC drops anyway. 

• 294 posts
    January 17, 2018 1:56 PM PST

Any word on team harvesting? Just curious if solo is the only option.

• 5 posts
    January 17, 2018 4:57 PM PST

I assumed there would be robust harvesting and crafting, super excited to see it form. I do enjoy being able to harvest/mine/trap multiple skills with one character, so I hope that happens. I prefer to be self-sufficient with my crafting needs. ((inserts plug here for carpentry and furniture, the best crafting skill evah!))

Obviously a lot of thought has gone into variety, process, execution and so on. Exciting!

• 10 posts
    January 17, 2018 5:06 PM PST

I'm digging what is in the newsletter.  

I vaguely remember vanguard, but it was one of the first games where you were chopping down trees you came across vs. a log on the ground like other mmos to get wood, for example.  IIRC, everquest didn't have harvesting nodes at all. You could fish in any water but you didn't have a school of fish you targetted like EQ2 did.  I spent a lot of time harvesting nodes in EQ2 and somewhat in my brief stint in WoW.  I like how EQ Next had "seams" of minerals, where you'd find a vein of iron or copper etc and often there was a little bit of another metal on top, like Tin and Silver I think would be together.  The chopping down trees in EQ Next was fun because you could sort of clear cut an area, but it would regenerate over time.  

I do remember running into caves to mine in Vanguard though. That was fun, clearing out all the goblins and then going to harvest the iron etc.  

I'm digging the strata concept, I know why many games would put the nodes by crafting level in an area with a similar adventure levels, but I recall running out in areas with monsters 20-30 levels higher than me while I'm trying to chop wood and dig up some roots, made for some interesting moments - but the strata thing makes more sense realistically...  Imagine having a high mining skill and finding the grand canyon for example, and going at it starting from the bottom.   

I really enjoy skinning animals after killing them in games.  I don't hate animals or anything but it just made sense from a practical stand point.  I need leather to skill up my tailoring, where else would I get it other than skinning animals?  Original EQ was a lot of fun for the first couple expansions collecting stuff like Low, Medium, and High quality wolf/bear/cat/lion etc pelts which were used to make bags and quivers and basic clothes etc.  There was a time when just about every hide and skin could be sewed into something... I hope Pantheon keeps that up, when Planes of Power came out in EQ you'd get all these different skins and hides that were just cash loot or occasionally quest items but many you couldn't make anything with them.   Later when they revamped crafting then you got stuff where each tier would have random animal hides drop for that level, it wasn't as fun as skinning the animals.

I played a scout in SWG for a while and enjoyed harvesting my kills.  WoW had a similar feature.

I love the scavenging idea too.  How many times would we loot something that said "gold cup" or "silver necklace" etc but it wasn't worth as much as the gold or silver would just for the melt value, and we couldn't pry gems out of jewelry or melt down that steel breastplate to get some ingots.  Now collecting "junk" will be great to extract those raw materials :)

• 2886 posts
    January 17, 2018 7:23 PM PST

Nephele said:

What I *do* want to see though is gathering tools/gear that matter.  You shouldn't just magically pull out a hatchet to chop wood and that basic hatchet you got early on should be inferior to a more expensive hatchet you can pick up later on.  That way serious gatherers are doing more in the economy than just selling materials.

Aye, that seems to already be the case:

"more exotic fishing poles to fish in other bodies of liquid such as raw mana and pools of toxic ichor."

"upgrades their sickle they'll be able to harvest more exotic targets such as the corpses of nature-based elementals, myconids, and plants rich in raw energies."

"Additionally, some creatures like golems and gargoyles can be mined with the correct skill levels and stronger pickaxes."

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_january_harvesting/

• 18 posts
    January 17, 2018 7:46 PM PST

Yep, I would assume they have something in place like vanguard where you would have harvesting clothes that added to your skill base.  The other thing i liked was how vanguard approached harvesting, it was pretty much you had a set time to "attack" the node.  The more damage you got in during that short time determined how much return you got from that particular node harvest. 

I never saw any raw data but the harvesting tools and some of the gear had stats that added more hits to your harvesting.  Higher tier harvesting tools had required skill levels to use them which made perfect sense.  Those better tools had higher yeilds for each time you harvested a node.

• 1785 posts
    January 17, 2018 7:58 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Nephele said:

Aye, that seems to already be the case:

"more exotic fishing poles to fish in other bodies of liquid such as raw mana and pools of toxic ichor."

"upgrades their sickle they'll be able to harvest more exotic targets such as the corpses of nature-based elementals, myconids, and plants rich in raw energies."

"Additionally, some creatures like golems and gargoyles can be mined with the correct skill levels and stronger pickaxes."

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_january_harvesting/

Yeah, can you tell I was at work replying on my phone and didn't actually read the newsletter until I got home? :)

Very happy with all the info Corey shared in the newsletter!