Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Who Do You Play With?

• 9115 posts
    January 15, 2018 3:59 AM PST

Since MMORPG's are supposed to be social games, how many of your family or friends play MMORPG's like Pantheon with you? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

• 23 posts
    January 15, 2018 4:03 AM PST

For now, i think i'll be playing alone since my friends aren't too sure about pantheon. But i hope they'll join me, and if they don't, i hope i can meet some great people there and form some kind of new family on Pantheon. After all, where would be the fun in an MMO if it was for meeting new people ?

• 793 posts
    January 15, 2018 4:06 AM PST

For the longest time I played with a couple RL friends and then my EQ friends. We went from game to game in the mid-2000's and eventually settled in WoW. The guild grew alot in WoW and the dynamic also changed within the guild, and I lost interest and hardly ever communicate with them anymore. I'm hoping ome of them with come to Pantheon when it releases and we can adventure again as we did back in the fun days of MMoRPGs.

• 2886 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:06 AM PST

I am lucky to come from a whole gaming family, so I've always had people to play with :) since all the way back in the EQ days. Although I have no problem playing with new people too. I've picked up a few lifelong online friends along the way

• 1479 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:11 AM PST

I usually only play with my girlfriend I met on Wow. While some friends I know from other games sometimes come with us, they usually tends to part away sometimes and we make new friends.

Basically for us, new game = new friends and non of our real life friends tends to play MMO's.

• 945 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:37 AM PST

All of my friends that play MMOs all have families now so we tend to try to play the same games but typically at different times and end up playing alone until once in a great while we can all log in at the same time, so we make new friends in game and even join different guilds sometimes.  With that being said, I'm looking forward to meeting new people to play with; I'm also concerned about making friends in game that either out level me or I out level them... That's happened in every MMO I've played that hasn't had some kind of well developed mentor/level adjustment system.

• 690 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:53 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Since MMORPG's are supposed to be social games, how many of your family or friends play MMORPG's like Pantheon with you? #PRF #MMORPG #MMO #communitymatters

Ill probably have 3 rl friends and my brother to start, just one short of six!=(

• 121 posts
    January 15, 2018 6:35 AM PST
    Locally....none. Friends I've met online from past MMOs...a ton. With MMOs, it's not how many friends and family you go in with, it's how many you come out with.
    • 105 posts
    January 15, 2018 6:42 AM PST

It's been so long since I've been in an MMO all my guildies have dispersed and friendships lost... I'm trying to rope some work colleagues into playing Pantheon but they all have X-box's... I'm sure new friendships will be forged in Terminus though, that's what the game is all about!

• 35 posts
    January 15, 2018 6:43 AM PST
    My friends would never pick up an MMO, sad but true, they stick to FPS and MOBA’s. I usually find likeminded people in-game.
    • 126 posts
    January 15, 2018 6:57 AM PST

One family member that I know of right now (maybe more later?) but many friends I have met since EQ days when the guild was firmly established! Quite a few are coming back just to play Pantheon together. We miss the Family unit we had then and are hoping Terminus fills the void we're looking for.

• 1281 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:15 AM PST

I have a friend that plays, but I'm not sure if I am going to be able to convince him to come over to Pantheon.  I hope I can though.  My youngest daughter wants to try it, but I'm not sure if my oldest daughter and her husband are going to play.

• 36 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:29 AM PST

My local friends stopped playing MMO over the years now. But i meet some friends in the games i played before, we have some RL contact also. And all 10 of us are waiting to get into Alpha ;)

• 3 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:32 AM PST

Great question, Kilsin.

My core group of friends all have less patience and desire for MMO's than I; so trying to get them into any MMO is a struggle. Thankfully I'm currently in an EQ (Agnarr) Guild that have interest in jumping to Pantheon when it's ready.

To go a bit further and discuss a little game design philosophy; for me to stick around long-term in an MMO, I need to find a good guild of fun and positive people to play with in-game. In this situation, social tools are a must to forge new friendships while playing. These tools can range from LFG dungeon queues to guild recruitment/application UI to robust social hub zones that provide ample opportunity for RP and social interaction. If the game provides tools to players to become a community more easily, new friendships and alliances will be forged naturally.

Also, a game's difficulty curve and combat encounter design which necessitates a community that plays well together is a must, but I think that point is already in the top 3 of Pantheon's design philosophies. I know that's why I'm here at least!

This post was edited by apocalypticRAWR at January 15, 2018 7:33 AM PST
    • 2138 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:36 AM PST

I like this dynamic in a MMO: Where I play mycharacter and meet other characters in a coincidental or happenstance way and we share a common goal and suceed. I call these friends and hope to see them again without being demanding upon their time ( I wont ask/ say see you tomorrow! the fact that we are on at the same time has to also happen coincidentally)

The interestig thing is, if we fail I am not quick to put them as friends unless I get the feeling that they were earnestly trying, and if there was alot of chatter about stragegies or impressions and bad or stupid assumptions were not berated unless the beration came in a humorously acknowledgmental way provided that such beration was followed by an open-ended suggestion.  In other words, If you are going to criticize at least acknowledge the others point of view, try to be funny or in character about it so they aren't insulted too badly, and come up with your own (stupid?) something to add and move things along. Then I willfriend and hope to see those guys again.

The oppisite end of this is if I am in a group where the other members already know each other and wise-crack all the time against each other- sometimes I cant stop laughing- kind of like the fictionalized camraderie found among soldiers in battle as I have seen it in movies or tv.

Mostly I fee I have to be there for someome else and I am hard pressed to ask for help unless what I am asking help for is "worthy" of their time. Alot of times I like doing rinky-dink little things that yield little but are fun and I am ashamed to ask people for help if I need it. 

• 1714 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:39 AM PST

I will be trying to sync up with an old friend but we're in different time zones these days so I will be making most if not all of my friends in game. 

• 1860 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:44 AM PST
    I might talk a couple people into playing with me a bit...but I know they won't "keep up". I don't expect them to play long term.
    • 43 posts
    January 15, 2018 7:54 AM PST

I have a friend from college that I game with.  We've turned out to be a great team and play well off each other's strenghts and weaknesses. (They tend to gain in-depth knowledge of items and crafting, I tend to learn how to navigate in the world sans-maps.)  With that being said, I believe we're both excited (well, me anyway, but think they are too!) to meet new people in a new game!

• 48 posts
    January 15, 2018 8:36 AM PST
    Well... there's the bastid that introduced me to both tabletop, and mmos... my brother, his two sons, friends from high School, and a few people I've met online over my gaming history. I will usually find a guild or a place to call home in whatever game it is, and stay there for the duration of the game. I wait though, take my time to really get to know the people. Or I'll create a home and meet people over time whom I enjoyed grouping with time and time again.
    • 98 posts
    January 15, 2018 8:40 AM PST

Never had a RL friend to play with (edit: that makes it sounds like I have no friends. Correction: I have no RL friends who are into MMOs! I do know a few who play DnD.). Family members don't care.

I typically slowly acquire friends in game to play with :)

This post was edited by sorn at January 15, 2018 9:05 AM PST
    • 120 posts
    January 15, 2018 8:58 AM PST

I used to have friends who played MMO's, but they are all grown up now and dont have time for video games. I do remember a time in highschool where my friends turned off my computer while I was playing EQ to force me to stop playing and go with them. I didnt think it was very funny at the time lol. But for Pantheon I think I have convinced my wife to give it a go at least. I hope she likes it! If not I'm sure I will make plenty of online friends.

Cheers.

This post was edited by Xbachs at January 15, 2018 8:59 AM PST
    • 287 posts
    January 15, 2018 9:48 AM PST
    I play with family. I am going to try to recruit friends to play though.
    • 1281 posts
    January 15, 2018 9:51 AM PST

Anyone really. I don't mind pickup groups. If someone is good I will keep track of them and try to get them back into my group first if possible.

• 287 posts
    January 15, 2018 10:10 AM PST
    So let's see those Pantheon hats so I can actively recruit people. Them "what's Pantheon?". Me "pull up a seat."
    • 4 posts
    January 15, 2018 1:27 PM PST

Sadly, I come from a non-gaming family, however, after about 30 or so years of playing games in different formats, styles, and venues, i've made some lifelong friends in different communities. We tend to bleed over into each others worlds from time to time. Good thing about getting in on the ground floor of a game like this? Bring some of the old friends with you, and make new ones along the way! Looking for a group and i have one? Welcome to the Family!