Forums » Pantheon Classes

Combat mechanics : Damage calculation

• 1479 posts
    January 14, 2018 1:27 PM PST

Hiya folks,

I found nowhere to post this, neither a post chatting about this and I'll be referring to the May 2-part stream where cohh plays as a Monk.

One of the developpers said that damage calculation was based on Weapon damage where weaponskill influenced your chances to reach the highest damage of the weapon, thus having no "damage multplier". I couldn't hear or understand clearly the part about strength affecting melee damage, but I found the overall interesting : A low weaponskill/level will not allow you to exploit the full potential of the weapon, making low level characters/twinks unable to overstep their level's attended efficiency.

The interesting part for me is that it will strictly cap melee damage to the weapon instead of using multipliers resulting in tremendous damage carried by better and better gear untill it become incontrolable like it ends in every MMO for now.

I know the stream is quite old, but I had lot of catch up to do.

• 2752 posts
    January 15, 2018 10:29 AM PST

I'd imagine they will use a similar calculation to that used in EQ. 

• [Max Damage] = ([Mod] x [Weapon Damage]) + [Main Hand Bonus] (rounded down)
    • [Weapon Damage] is the damage listed on the weapon.
    • [Main hand bonus] is always 0 for non-melee characters, and weapons wielded in the off-hand.
    • [Main hand bonus] for one handed weapons is: ([Player Level] - 25) / 3 (rounded down)
    • [Mod] is calculated as: ([Weapon Skill] + [STR] -75) / 100
    • If [Mod] is less than 2, then 2 is used instead.
    • If [Player Level] is less than 10, then [Max Damage] is capped at 20.
    • If [Player Level] is less than 20, then [Max Damage] is capped at 40.
    • 1479 posts
    January 15, 2018 10:54 AM PST

Iksar said:

I'd imagine they will use a similar calculation to that used in EQ. 

• [Max Damage] = ([Mod] x [Weapon Damage]) + [Main Hand Bonus] (rounded down)
    • [Weapon Damage] is the damage listed on the weapon.
    • [Main hand bonus] is always 0 for non-melee characters, and weapons wielded in the off-hand.
    • [Main hand bonus] for one handed weapons is: ([Player Level] - 25) / 3 (rounded down)
    • [Mod] is calculated as: ([Weapon Skill] + [STR] -75) / 100
    • If [Mod] is less than 2, then 2 is used instead.
    • If [Player Level] is less than 10, then [Max Damage] is capped at 20.
    • If [Player Level] is less than 20, then [Max Damage] is capped at 40.

Edit : my formula was not the one sorted on P99 wiki, however I tend to see damage higher than 2xweapon damage once my weaponskill + strength total is higher than 200, instead if higher than 275.

What I was pointing out is that from what I heard in the stream, the damage of the weapon will be strongly tied to the weapon damage, more than before.

It would mean with a 40 damage weapon, if your weaponskill is inferior to the weapon's requirement/ level tied, you would end up with lower damage.

Since damage in Eq allways was randomized even with high damage weapon and max weaponskills, I understand pantheon's weaponskill would more work like EQ's Attack : does not increase maximum damage but increase the likehood of getting high damage. Thus maybe depending of your weapon strength, you would get : ([Weapon damage]/[weapon dalay])*[mod] = attended weaponskill to obtain a statistic repartition of ([Weapon damage] /2) with a gaussian repartition. Any weaponskill lower than the attended value would then move your gaussian curve to a lower median, thus making high damage blows more rare. Any weaponskill higher would push your median to higher values (still capped by the weapon maximum damage).

The idea here would mean "maximum damage is entirely tied to weapon damage, maybe with a 1:1 ratio" (I don't know yet the influence of strength on damage, I have to listen to the stream again), making stats (Is weapon damage a statistic you can increase with something else than levels + training ?) an increase in probability to obtain high damage in the strict fork of the damage cap ?

I'm quite curious, because that would be a way to adress twinking as much as power creeping

This post was edited by Mauvais_Oeil at January 15, 2018 10:57 AM PST
    • 557 posts
    January 15, 2018 4:42 PM PST

I start to read threads like this and am reminded why I don't play melee classes.  I do technical stuff all day.  My mind is mush by the time I'm ready to adventure and it says to me "Don't make me do math at night."

• 1479 posts
    January 15, 2018 11:06 PM PST

Celandor said:

I start to read threads like this and am reminded why I don't play melee classes.  I do technical stuff all day.  My mind is mush by the time I'm ready to adventure and it says to me "Don't make me do math at night."

That's only personnal curiosity, I hope the game will remain playable for melee classes withouth any theorycrafting at all, and only common sense + testing. I'm just fond of game mechanics, especially in this case : addressing how powerfull and unmanageable characters can creep out after a few expansions.

• 31 posts
    January 26, 2018 12:14 PM PST

I stopped playing at the launch of GoD, but this image matches my memory of EQ's "random" damage distribution http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Domino/5686/images/Pre1hsdmg.jpg

I don't recall ever seeing as nice a formula as above during my time in EQ, but was painfully familiar with the two peaks in the distribution.

• 556 posts
    January 29, 2018 9:01 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I hope the game will remain playable for melee classes withouth any theorycrafting at all, and only common sense + testing. 

There's some wishful thinking :D

A game I don't have to theorycraft in? I don't even know what that would be like