Forums » The Dark Myr

Why so many classes

• 46 posts
    January 13, 2018 6:55 AM PST

Why are the Dark Myr able to be so many classes compaired to all the other rases in this game... I don't understand why a race that live in the water would be a druid it seem to me that for some reason Dark Myr are almost as able to be any class as the humans. what is it that puts them in the same range as humans and if they are what has stoped the other races from doing the same ??

• 242 posts
    January 13, 2018 7:56 AM PST

What's the problem ? It's a race with a balanced culture and body, allowing them to wages war, attune with nature, sneak, follow syronai's precepts or make use of arcane magic. Nothing seems wrong here, and no one cares about classes/races ratios over logic and roleplay.

Balance should not dictate the possibilities of a race, or you will end up with a wow like pattern.

• 46 posts
    January 13, 2018 8:43 AM PST

I am just wounding what in the lore that shows this race can be most classes yet that all the other can not?  Sense all these races came from other worlds where their culture would have already formed, where they would be more likely to fill all the needs of the culture. How can you have a culture where everyone is a War or mages? if all these races would all formed together then I would understand where some would only be what they race were best at.

I am just thinking with the lore that this world is based on most races would be able to be most classes but not as well as some others would.   

• 242 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:29 AM PST

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh. I was a bit too enticed to my opinion.

I think it all depends of natural or cultural predispositions. For example the ogre are physically huge and strong, favoring battle with a strategic and dominant culture. Why would ogres turn to arcane magic, when they can crush skulls single handed ? Thus magic only comes as an ehancement of natural features, either direct for dire lords, or indirect with shamans and druids. For them i'm more concerned about having both druid and warriors but not ranger (althought I feel the druid a bit out of the landscape for them).

The most obvious opposite beeing gnomes, where natural properties are in defavor of physical strength and their culture favoring arcane science, while showing no interest in spiritual magic.

Both thoses societies have exploited as much as possible their own physicall advantages, or for gnomes bypassed their weakness by other means.

For more balanced races, humans, dark myrs, elves, physical strength is neither a force to capitalize on, or a weakness you need to bypass. Then comes the choice to do as you wish. For neutral cultures, evil and good are not things favored or avoided, giving them even more choices.

Dark myr seems evil oriented, but their physical attribute seems balanced around numerous aspects of a society. Arcane, war, religion, attunement to the undersea environment. To me it seems logic they embrace all thoses aspects, because they are not built around a single strength or a culture favoring one or two things.

My 2 copper.

• 467 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:30 AM PST

I expect we'll see a disproportionate number of Dark Myr on the server at launch.

1.  It's a new race and people are going to be curious.

2.  The diversity of class choices means that friends who want to play a specific class will be able to start in the same city.  This is true for humans as well, but minus the novelty factor.

3.  The sheer math of offering a large number of class choices, given that some percentage of each class will elect to be a specific race.

• 242 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:42 AM PST

Celandor said:

I expect we'll see a disproportionate number of Dark Myr on the server at launch.

1.  It's a new race and people are going to be curious.

2.  The diversity of class choices means that friends who want to play a specific class will be able to start in the same city.  This is true for humans as well, but minus the novelty factor.

3.  The sheer math of offering a large number of class choices, given that some percentage of each class will elect to be a specific race.

Probably the most popular evil race, depending of racial feats. Humanlike yet different, high class choices.

I bet on ogre druids as the least played class/race combo.

This post was edited by MauvaisOeil at January 13, 2018 9:55 AM PST
    • 429 posts
    January 15, 2018 5:58 AM PST

It could also have to do with plans to have dark myr not start with legs, and not get them for a long while.

Thus, they would need access to lots of classes to have their own underwater groups.

Come to think of it, if their faction list is iksar-like then it makes even more sense for myr to be self sufficient.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at January 15, 2018 6:01 AM PST