Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon: Items

• 2886 posts
    January 15, 2018 3:54 AM PST

Mandalorian2K said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. Doing a basic search on "items" or "clickies" yielded tons of results.

I know we get new members all the time which is great for the community and the growth of the game, but a quick search before creating new threads will usually have results for what you want to discuss.

I'm surprised Bazgrim hasn't been all over this :)

I actually was going to post a bunch of links to clickies threads, but then I realized, as Kilsin and Kaen pointed out, that this thread is technically slightly different as it is not just about clickies.

But since you mentioned it haha, in case you're interested, here they are haha:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2204/clickies

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5126/clickies

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5998/clickies

Champion:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2766/clickly-illusion-perk

VIP:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5717/wings-or-no-wings-clickies

This post was edited by Bazgrim at January 15, 2018 3:56 AM PST
    • 556 posts
    January 15, 2018 8:21 AM PST

I am one of those people who actually doesn't want to see a whole lot of "clickies". I much prefer the passive things on items. Having a lot of clickies means that we have to carry around tons of extra stuff just to swap items, use the clicky, then swap back. I loved Jboots and things of that type but I would prefer to have Jboots that instead of a clickie, they gain experience at a fraction of yours and progressively give more innate movement speed when worn. Another example, Amulet of Necropotence. Make it slowly corrupt the wearers soul. As it levels, you start to take on the skele form and gain increase regen rates. When complete you have a skele form and the max regen rate when worn but it makes you take more damage from blunt and fire. 

I want to see growth. Not just with my character but with my items as well. If these items are traded in any way or put on a marketplace they lose all experience. I think this would be a great addition. Obviously this can't and shouldn't be every item but for a lot of iconic items it could definitely be a thing

• 87 posts
    January 20, 2018 8:34 AM PST

Clickies is okay if implemented right like some kind of auto recharge but very slowly like 1 every 24 hrs or 3 times week then you have some use for them and the item dont go to waste...just choose when to do it carfully ><

• 31 posts
    January 22, 2018 12:49 PM PST

Mathir said:

There were two items from EQ1 that really stand out in my memory that completely redefined how I played my class (Shadowknight).  Circlet of Shadow (Insta-click invis) and whatever the ultra rare Luclin era spell was that turned me into a skeleton and gave mana regen, which most SKs did not have.  The circlet combined with Feign Death allowed me to go just about anywhere.  While the spell gave me a super cool look as well as really allowed me to fearkite and solo/farm much more easily.  Especially before KEI was widespread.  I loved that stuff.  It took a class I had already spent years on and made it feel insanely powerful and new.

Logged into EQ the other day to screenshot my favorite clicky on my Shadowknight. https://imgur.com/Ug0vHtH.png  Not only could I bind as a caster, but even do so when moving (and even falling, though only tried that once).

Most likely Binding / Respawn points will be closer to newer games than the original EQ model, but this was my prized possession for years.

This post was edited by xilith at January 22, 2018 12:50 PM PST
    • 1785 posts
    January 22, 2018 3:38 PM PST

Like usual, I have a slightly different take on "defining items" than most people might.  Some anecdotes :)

In EQ, my favorites were the "unique"-feeling items I really had to work to get - like my Sword of Skyfire, or my Aegis shield on my Paladin.  All the way up to my Fiery Avenger (and both Defenders) at much higher levels.

I would also go out of my way to collect armor "sets" because they were presented as a set.  If I had one piece of the set, I wanted the others.  (Lack of) set bonuses notwithstanding.

In EQ2 this happened as well.  I used Ghoulbane a LOT in EQ2, because it was not easy to obtain, not really because it was super powerful (although it was nice).

In Vanguard, my disciple would use a staff or firstwraps normally, but when things got serious (like during a raid), she packed a sword.  Not for any sort of stat reason but because it just felt right in character to roleplay it like that.  I did the same thing with my monk in EQ2 - for just normal adventuring, it was batons or a staff (or fists).  When going up against a big bad though, the punch daggers came out and things got darker.

So for me, what makes items memorable is a combination of things:

• The uniqueness/distinctiveness of that item (this includes any associated animations)
    • The effort required to obtain the item
    • The cosmetic look of the item
    • Special properties of the item
    • Whether the item is part of a set of some kind
    • The roleplay value of the item related to my character's persona.

• 2752 posts
    January 22, 2018 4:15 PM PST

Aqua said:

Clickies is okay if implemented right like some kind of auto recharge but very slowly like 1 every 24 hrs or 3 times week then you have some use for them and the item dont go to waste...just choose when to do it carfully ><

I'd like them to limit any sort of clicky items as well but I don't think we need absurd cooldowns on them. EQ handled it very well in that many just had very long cast times (compared to the normal spell version) but none of the ridiculous cooldowns you see today. If an item has charges then perhaps just a means of recharging in towns as a money sink.

For example in WoW (early WoW, no idea what it's like anymore) where they had some cool and rare items like Orb of Deception which turned the user into a random race of the opposing faction for 5 minutes with a 30 minute cooldown. Why? Why only 5 minutes and why 30 minutes cooldown on something entirely for fun/purely cosmetic? Other items with even very limited power were often slapped with massive cooldowns compared to the effect like 10 seconds of invisibility with a 1 hour cooldown or a short charge that stuns you at the end (and has a chance to fail entirely and just stun you) with a 20 minute cooldown.