Forums » The Enchanter

Solo Ability

• 16 posts
    January 9, 2018 12:21 PM PST

What does everyone feel the soloing capabilities of an Enchanter should be?

I personally love the interplay of an enchanter with a group but as I have gotten older, the amount of friends I have able to play hardcore MMO's on the same schedule as me has dwindled significantly. It would be great if Enchanters could get by on their own at least here and there. IIRC leveling as an enchanter in EQ1 and Vanguard (psionicist) could be a tad rough.

That said, the Enchanter class has always been my favorite archetype and it is sorely lacking in representation in current MMO's. I've done 3 playthroughs of Pillars of Eternity as the Cipher class to get my fix lol. I would probably push through a tough leveling experience just because I love the class fantasy so much (i know the game is group oriented and that puts some players like me a little behind the curve without a guild).

Anyway, first post here and just curious to get the communities thoughts!

This post was edited by woodpipes at January 9, 2018 12:23 PM PST
    • 718 posts
    January 9, 2018 1:00 PM PST

I thought EQ's chanter was one of the most powerfull soloers with overhasted charmed ennemies, wasn't it the case ?

• 16 posts
    January 9, 2018 1:11 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

I thought EQ's chanter was one of the most powerfull soloers with overhasted charmed ennemies, wasn't it the case ?

in the early days, 1-30 was def a bit of a struggle, and you don't really come into your own until 45-50. By 60 you were in great shape, Enchanters were a little backloaded. By that i mean 70% slow for 3 minutes on a mob that hits for 250 is fantastic; 20% slow for 45 seconds on a mob that hits for 40 not so much. It was one of the few classes that got stronger as they leveled but soloing in those early and mid levels could be pretty tough.

• 467 posts
    January 9, 2018 3:42 PM PST

I hadn't given soloing as an enchanter any thought.  I guess I haven't thought much about soloing any class.  I suspect I'll spend my "down time" exploring and crafting.

When it comes to grouping, you don't have to be in a guild to meet people and find some great groups.  You make new friends through pickup groups and chance encounters.  But, if you're guildless, either it's by choice or your armour smells.   Lots of good guilds who will gobble up mature, fun-loving players.

Welcome to the Pantheon community, Wood.

• 16 posts
    January 9, 2018 4:45 PM PST

Thanks Celandor!

• 17 posts
    January 24, 2018 5:07 PM PST

woodpipes said:

MauvaisOeil said:

in the early days, 1-30 was def a bit of a struggle, and you don't really come into your own until 45-50. By 60 you were in great shape, Enchanters were a little backloaded. By that i mean 70% slow for 3 minutes on a mob that hits for 250 is fantastic; 20% slow for 45 seconds on a mob that hits for 40 not so much. It was one of the few classes that got stronger as they leveled but soloing in those early and mid levels could be pretty tough.

This was my experience too.  I mostly soloed an enchanter until 30 or so and then had some friends PL him up to the 40s.  It was really rough going early on.  The pet sucked.  The nukes weren't that great.  The dot's really stunk.  You didn't get a decent charm for a long time if i recall.  It was a lot of roots and slowly grinding stuff down, maybe even some fear kiting? I forget.  I had a necro too for a while I may be getting them mixed up.  But my enchanter sat at level 29 for a looooooooooong time until like I said my brother and his friends came and helped me out.  After he got to 49 or so it went really well.  I was just smearing stuff.  And I was in high demand for groups, I was pretty good at controlling adds in sebilis.  

• 1790 posts
    January 25, 2018 4:26 PM PST

MauvaisOeil said:

Enchanters were extremely powerful soloers in EQ and 2nd fastest in leveling (bard was #1 by a long shot), but it took massive amounts of concentration and was much more stressful than bard or necromancer (who wasn't far behind enchanter).  They could walk into any dark blue con dungeon and solo their way through it though, so the risk/difficulty had its rewards for sure. 

• 142 posts
    January 26, 2018 7:18 AM PST

Yea, enchanters were op. With a pet they could haste and a slow spell that was second to the shaman they could solo very well. I had a lvl 50 enchanter on Agnarr soloing The Hole where there were yellow cons. The risk,however, is insane. If you are in a fight and your pet randomly breaks at a bad time and your oh crap charm or quick mez doesn't work in time...you pretty much die. Plus a buffed pet breaking and running over to you had quad hitting you for enough to be a one shot is bad. Also, you never knew when your pet would break soo you are always on edge ready to run or cast your level 1 mez to stop your steroid pet from smashing you in a few seconds.

• 1790 posts
    January 26, 2018 1:57 PM PST

Watemper said:

Yea, enchanters were op. With a pet they could haste and a slow spell that was second to the shaman they could solo very well. 

Add in if you were really looking to maximize output giving your charmed pet procing weapons to use. Charmed mobs seemed to proc far more often than players ever did.

• 142 posts
    January 29, 2018 12:08 PM PST

Yea I try to want to be two shotted instead of one shotted though... lol

• 573 posts
    March 12, 2018 3:46 PM PDT
    Chanter was the most fun to solo I thought, Charming a healer pet made for some very safe and relaxed soloing. In later eq he heals you when you get under 50% and almost never have any downtime between kills healing himself as well. Occasional nukes helped and buffing them with clarity was nice!
    • 2 posts
    March 27, 2018 6:49 PM PDT

I solo'd an Enchater in EQ1 to level 20 in two weeks.  My five friends thoght i had found an exploit to do it so quickly.  I didn't, unless you count playing 60 hours a week an exploit. LOL.  I expect the enchanter to be the band leader, the guy who sets the tempo.  in addition, i expect him to be a hard taskmaster. screw with his mezzes one to many times and you'll find yourself unemployed.  Of course i have nothing to base those assumptions on in Pantheon.  Someone needs to be in charge of any given group. and in my not so humble opinion, that should be the CC'er.

• 152 posts
    March 28, 2018 1:17 PM PDT

I found cutting out the middle man and just being the puller made things much easier, and pretty enjoyable, myself.

• 51 posts
    April 26, 2018 8:54 AM PDT

Keiiek said:

I found cutting out the middle man and just being the puller made things much easier, and pretty enjoyable, myself.

exactly!