Forums » The Dire Lord

Relationship with Necromancers

• 326 posts
    December 30, 2017 11:30 PM PST

Aaawwww yeeeuuhhhh...

But seriously - what do you think of Necromancers having specific abilities targeting the Dire Lord? I envision a sort of Emperor/Vader relationship - necromancers gain deeper understanding and greater expertise in dark magic, and could perhaps enhance or mentor a DL in some fashion. Maybe necros could get DL-specific buffs. Or maybe a necro and a DL's similar abilities could be combined somehow. This would of course lead to clear benefits for having both a necro and a DL in a group, but what's really so wrong with that? It'd also be awesome, imo, to encourage necro/DL duoing. Would be so satisfying thematically. Any thoughts on possible interactions between these two classes?

This post was edited by Alexander at January 3, 2018 1:17 AM PST
    • 326 posts
    December 30, 2017 11:33 PM PST

bee doop doopee boop

I am a spider robot

I serve no purpose other than inhabiting abandoned posts which can't be deleted

This post was edited by Alexander at January 3, 2018 1:17 AM PST
    • 503 posts
    December 31, 2017 8:00 AM PST

Specific relationships or abilities between classes is an awesome idea, especially when there is some affinity between the classes from a lore perspective.

Necro/ShadowKnight was arguably a sub-optimal combo in vintage EQ as the SK spells were mostly low-level necro spells which didn't stack or created limited stacking options.

One possible interaction might be the presence of a necro allows the DL to summon a pet.  More to the point, it may be that the Nec casts a buff on the DL which creates a pet.  The pet could either be something that only lasts until the DL is out of combat or it could be persistent until it's either killed or the DL or Nec leave the group.

• 246 posts
    February 20, 2018 9:04 AM PST

This is a really cool idea.  Like Celandor mentioned, in EQ hybrid classes (Shadow Knight, Ranger, Paladin) didn't typically "stack" particularly well with their pure counterparts (Necromancer, Druid, Cleric).  Later in the game they mitigated that a bit by giving the hybrids a couple unique and potent skill/spell lines, but it'd be neat to flip that script and have them synergize instead!  Would have to watch out for second-order effects though; you wouldn't want min/maxers to only consider a Dire Lord for the group if they already have a Necromancer.  This is all assuming the Dire Lord is even a hybrid, which... I guess we'll see!

• 53 posts
    February 27, 2018 7:50 PM PST
    I dont want them related at all
    • 37 posts
    March 24, 2018 7:43 AM PDT

Both are different, even with magics, one class is using "FELL" magic to cause fear and the other is using "Death" magic to raise and command the dead. In Vanguard, they did an excellent job at showing how different the magics were wheras EQ2 tried to blend them. Just to bring this up, dreadful countenance was a needed and helpful dynamic when fighting mobs because your damage ramped up considerably for the group as the fight went on and the mob got full debuffs.

honestly, I would have rather seen a Warlock class instead of a Necromancer class in Pantheon, (I'll take demons over skeletons anyday).

• 13 posts
    April 12, 2018 7:27 PM PDT

My educated guess would be that the previous stacking issues between the Shadowknight and Necromancer won't be an issue in this game. I don't believe from what I've read that any of the abilities that the DL has will be implemented as lower rank Necro spells. That said, not only will it be fascinating to see how those abilities stack, but I think it would be incredibly innovative to see some class specific synergies based on the likelihood (or rather, the lack thereof) of them being an effective pairing. Taking that idea one step further, it would be really satisfying to not feel that your 6th spot is mostly wasted by inviting a second healer or tank (when the first is handling the role easily) by giving them a sort of synergy that would allow them to increase the effectiveness of the party somehow (while not trivializing the necessity of having all roles filled by the appropriate classes).

• 83 posts
    May 1, 2018 5:02 PM PDT

The ShadowKnight in old EQ was a hybrid of the warrior and necromancer. And the mirror of the Palidan: Death Touch vs. Life.

Not as strong as the warrior, not as well spelled as the necromancer.

And yes indeed, was not high on the list of filling a 6 group slot.

Still, I had fun playing my SK. When I was not playing my Necro.

This post was edited by Graysilk at May 1, 2018 5:04 PM PDT