Forums » The Wizard

Wizard my favorite class

• 2561 posts
    December 6, 2017 6:24 PM PST

I'm listening to a conversation on Discord, right now...and everyone talking about druid, bard, cleric, enchanter, shaman.......and the wizard doesn't get mentioned once in this very busy discussion.   I remember the days in old EQ where,  Kunark came along..and then the rogue was given more damage dealing skills than the resident nuker in the game, the wizard.

Is the wizard going to be relegated to be unexciting and the very last choice to invite to group,  because they couldn't find a druid or a shaman?   Hence encouraging soloing, and kiting once more?   I did those things as a matter of survival for my character, instead of waiting 3 days advertising for a group.    Are our ports, translocates, etc going to be taken away and given to some melee classes?   All good questions for the Dev team to answer.

Cana

• 2708 posts
    December 6, 2017 6:39 PM PST

I played the Wizard at TwitchCon and had a lot of fun with it. Felt very powerful. I of course can't predict how often they will be picked in a group, but I can tell you that they do a lot of damage, and imo, that's something that's important to every group. Wizards of course need to watch their health bar/aggro and you need to manage your mana well, but if you do that, I think you will be very effective. Ports and utility spells like that will rarely if ever be available to melee classes - that's a fundamental part of the interdependency the game was founded on.

Wizards have a lot of different types of elemental damage (both AoE and DD) and also debuffs to make their targets weaker to those types of damage. They also have a good amount of utility such as roots, self buffs, etc.

There will of course be lots of tweaks, but it seems like the overall goals of the class are solid. Those are my first impressions anyway. I only played the demo build for a couple hours. But I think you will enjoy it :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 6, 2017 6:51 PM PST
    • 247 posts
    December 6, 2017 6:41 PM PST

I hope they give wizzies stuff to keep them relevant at the front end of fights for something beyond their classic "glass cannon" role.

• 494 posts
    December 6, 2017 7:50 PM PST

And the Nerf of Mana Burn. In EQ the Wizard started out as a glass cannon, but ended up just another caster that couldn't heal, buff, or off tank. They kept the glass and minimized the "cannon". 

They still had travel skills (ports) to set them apart, but even those were second place to a druid that could add Sow to that traveling. And could nearly nuke as good. (Within a few hundred points) and then add thorns to the tank.

Enchanter... a little less nukes but Crack made up for that several times over with mana for the group.

Mage, Nukes slightly lower but add the non stop pet damage that doesn't rely on mana. And a pet they could heal and could off tank a bit.

THEN along comes Pop and the ports were worthless, the only thing they did have.

I truly hope it's different in Pantheon.. I'm counting on it because for better or worse "Zorkon" will be a wizard.. always has since even before EQ, and always will be. 

So we shall see. 

• 37 posts
    December 7, 2017 8:12 AM PST

Zorkon said:

And the Nerf of Mana Burn. In EQ the Wizard started out as a glass cannon, but ended up just another caster that couldn't heal, buff, or off tank. They kept the glass and minimized the "cannon". 

They still had travel skills (ports) to set them apart, but even those were second place to a druid that could add Sow to that traveling. And could nearly nuke as good. (Within a few hundred points) and then add thorns to the tank.

Enchanter... a little less nukes but Crack made up for that several times over with mana for the group.

Mage, Nukes slightly lower but add the non stop pet damage that doesn't rely on mana. And a pet they could heal and could off tank a bit.

THEN along comes Pop and the ports were worthless, the only thing they did have.

I truly hope it's different in Pantheon.. I'm counting on it because for better or worse "Zorkon" will be a wizard.. always has since even before EQ, and always will be. 

So we shall see. 

Very much this. My first toon is almost always a wizard. Many times (not just EQ) this class has started out as a powerful DPS. The issue with the wizard is generally its only utility is that it can burn. Other caster classes had mitigation such as a pet, charm etc. Outside of root, something a lot of other classes have the only recourse to make a bad situation better was to crank up the dps and remove the threat. Soon the complaints come about how overpowered the class it - especially if PvP is involved. Despite the fact the classes complaining have other methods to deal with mobs they want the big numbers of the wizards. Then it happens - the nerf. The wizards DPS gets dropped to the scale of other caster classes. This has always frustrated me. We do not have a pet to tank/root/take attention from a mob for a brief moment or we couldn't charm / mez / other render the mob ineffective momentarilly - we can burn - thats it (besides root which almost always has a dmg modifier on it - just like every other casting class). Once you remove the burn - the wizard becomes the weakest class in the casting genre. I have no issue with the glass cannon just leave the CANNON part alone.

Please VR - if there is to be no other utility to the wizard do not take away the massive damage numbers like so many have in the past.

• 2561 posts
    December 7, 2017 8:42 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

I played the Wizard at TwitchCon and had a lot of fun with it. Felt very powerful. I of course can't predict how often they will be picked in a group, but I can tell you that they do a lot of damage, and imo, that's something that's important to every group. Wizards of course need to watch their health bar/aggro and you need to manage your mana well, but if you do that, I think you will be very effective. Ports and utility spells like that will rarely if ever be available to melee classes - that's a fundamental part of the interdependency the game was founded on.

Wizards have a lot of different types of elemental damage (both AoE and DD) and also debuffs to make their targets weaker to those types of damage. They also have a good amount of utility such as roots, self buffs, etc.

There will of course be lots of tweaks, but it seems like the overall goals of the class are solid. Those are my first impressions anyway. I only played the demo build for a couple hours. But I think you will enjoy it :)

Thanks Baz,   that's something I learned along the way,  18 years ago.   A wizard is indeed a glass cannon,  always fire at range,  armor is usually the consistency of toilet paper,  making wizards squishy at best.  I remember having an argument with another wizard early on who figured he could beat on mobs with his staff if he ran out of mana.   Being that our staffs seemed to hit once every 30 seconds ..this is a good way for a wizard to die.

This is where root and snare serve a purpose,  always fight your enemy at range.     Another thing I learned, is  our nukes can agro right away of course, so when in a group or a raid,  you temper your nukes, til the melee, or tank has grabbed that agro first.    This can't be a dps race,  this is something that has to be thought out.   Someone who playes a wizard,  needs to use their thought processes as well as skill.

Once that is in place, then you can let loose with the boom boom.   Also,  in Eq...along the time of Velious there were very high resists,  causing wastage of mana.     I found that the fire and ice nukes were the most resisted in that expac,  so I resorted to lightning. 

And of course in EQ you needed to know that fire doesn't work well on fire creatures and ice doesn't work very well on ice creatures.    Its a matter of thinking things out, knowing what works and what doesn't.    I hope...that the wizard is better set up to do their job in Pantheon,   but I am hearing snippets here and there ...that our ports will be given to others.    So will we only have nukes,  as our specialty....other casters such as the druid can also nuke.    So what makes us special and desirable as opposed to another caster.     These are my questions,  and I hope the VR team has given it some thought.

My wish list:   something akin to Atol's Spectral Shackles (snare) and the Root spell,   Ports, translocates, bind ability,  shadow step or fade,  levitation, evacs, and a familiar that gives some sort of shield buff or slight mana regen.

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at December 7, 2017 10:07 AM PST
    • 247 posts
    December 7, 2017 2:50 PM PST

That sounds almost like a carbon copy of the EQ wizzy, Cana.

I hope they get a bit more creative.   I'd like to see wizzies able to do something more than med through the first half of every fight when playing in groups.   They earned a reputation of being an AFK class, probably legitimately in some cases.  It would be nice if folks playing wizzies had their full attention on the game through the fight and not be popping in occasionally from whatever they are watcihng on Netflix to drop a bomb on the mob.

• 354 posts
    December 7, 2017 4:41 PM PST

I never experienced the problem with people who play Wizards just going AFK. I never did it on any of mine on EQ , EQ2 , or WOW. I never saw it done in a raid or a group any more than an average player would go AFK for normal life stuff. I always was attentive to my group / raid. I only took the time to say this because I want the Wizard to be a respected class someday :) ; Maybe in Pantheon !

I do remember reading some EQ Fan Fiction Cartoons back in about 2001 that started all of that AFK stuff. The Group was getting killed a lot, it showed what everybody was doing at their computers, and the Wizard was always shown AFK , or messing with his girlfriend or making a sandwich. It was very funny and kind of stuck and grew from there. After the cartoon I was accused of being AFK while medding all the time by my group, but I was always there, sitting, Medding up, staring at the screen, waiting for my chance to do something. I didn't care I loved my Wizzy.

The constant OOM in a big fight or in a raid did not help the perception. Maybe a special power of the Pantheon Wizard is we can Med just as good standing up. It would look better anyways.

Later in EQ I could tell I was only invited to raids to provide transportation because the Wizard really sucked. I went on a lot of raids to the plane of Hate, hmmm wonder why ? . Maybe it had something to do with that Friggen Stone of Innoruuk as I called it. 

I took to playing my wife's Ranger who had massive AA points and could out damage my Wizard just with a Bow. The resists were just the icing on the cake that killed raiding with a Wizard for me. 

In EQ The Wizard was better in the Group enviroment in my opinion and was fun to play, especially with friends.

Celandor, I also hope they get a bit more creative with the Pantheon Wizard.