Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Wipe on Release

This topic has been closed.
    • 1019 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:01 PM PST

So just wondering if it's been confirmed anywhere that once Beta is finished there will be an ENTIRE wipe?

I mean I've pleaged to Beta (might even upgrade to Alpha) so if they don't wipe it won't hurt me.  I'm just very much opposed to allowing people who have learned all the secrets had days, weeks, months of play practice to be allowed to hold over a player that already has a start.

It's a competitive game (even if you play it casually) so doing as much as you can as a developer to make it a fair start from the beggining is what I'm looking to confirm.

• 3237 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:03 PM PST

Yes.  Full wipe.  No part of testing will be early access.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 5, 2017 5:03 PM PST
    • 644 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:03 PM PST

Kittik said:...

It's a competitive game....

No, it isn't.  It's a cooperative game.

A competitive game is one it's trying to avoid being.

• 3237 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:07 PM PST

fazool said:

Kittik said:...

It's a competitive game....

No, it isn't.  It's a cooperative game.

A competitive game is one it's trying to avoid being.

Your assessment is no more correct than his.  Pantheon will be both competitive and cooperative.  There will always be competition in an open-world game.  Players will be able to cooperate and make the most of the limited opportunities available.  Competing for spawns = competition.  Competing for housing/outpost placement = competition.  Engaging in the economy = competition.  There will likely be other forms of official/unofficial competition as well ... some friendly, some tooth and nail.  VR is making a world here, not just a video game.  Nothing will ever stop unofficial competition.  There might be measures in place to alleviate some competition for some resources, but it will never be eliminated completely, nor should it be.  Terminus will not be a land where everybody gets everything.

This post was edited by oneADseven at December 5, 2017 5:15 PM PST
    • 1095 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:09 PM PST

Kittik said:

So just wondering if it's been confirmed anywhere that once Beta is finished there will be an ENTIRE wipe?

I mean I've pleaged to Beta (might even upgrade to Alpha) so if they don't wipe it won't hurt me.  I'm just very much opposed to allowing people who have learned all the secrets had days, weeks, months of play practice to be allowed to hold over a player that already has a start.

It's a competitive game (even if you play it casually) so doing as much as you can as a developer to make it a fair start from the beggining is what I'm looking to confirm.

Man do you even search? search wipe.

Post by Kilsin.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2444/last-beta-wipe/view/post_id/33630

This post was edited by Aich at December 5, 2017 5:10 PM PST
    • 1019 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:23 PM PST

Zeem said:

Post by Kilsin.

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2444/last-beta-wipe/view/post_id/33630 

No I did not.  Thanks though.

• 1095 posts
    December 5, 2017 5:35 PM PST

Kittik said:

Zeem said:

Post by Kilsin.

No I did not.  Thanks though.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums

Top right there is a search box. Type in a keyword. Enjoy.

Welcome.

This post was edited by Aich at December 5, 2017 5:37 PM PST
    • 287 posts
    December 5, 2017 6:04 PM PST
    These games should be seen as marathons not sprints. There is so much content the power gamers just miss completely.
    • 95 posts
    December 5, 2017 6:55 PM PST

Obviously its not a complete wipe since you reserve your name which carries over once the game goes live. That doesnt give a competitive edge so is no big deal other than getting a name you have used for years across several games.

• 3237 posts
    December 5, 2017 7:33 PM PST

sunstalkr said:

Obviously its not a complete wipe since you reserve your name which carries over once the game goes live. That doesnt give a competitive edge so is no big deal other than getting a name you have used for years across several games.

VR has classified it as a full wipe.  Not gonna argue semantics but that's what they are calling it so I will do the same.

• 74 posts
    December 5, 2017 8:47 PM PST

bryanleo9 said: These games should be seen as marathons not sprints. There is so much content the power gamers just miss completely.

Maybe the games aren't challenging enough then if people can just blow through them and skip everything?

Also - hopefully there will be PvP servers for those of us who want to have real competition.

• 3237 posts
    December 5, 2017 10:34 PM PST

Well played Dulu.  =D

• 261 posts
    December 5, 2017 10:42 PM PST

sunstalkr said:

Having a name reserved is nothing to do with a wipe. Someone may have brought a pledge with a name reservation and may never play the game before it is released.

• 3852 posts
    December 6, 2017 3:46 AM PST

My understanding is that there will be an opportunity to reserve names before release, separate and apart from any testing. Using a name in pre-alpha, alpha, or beta will not help you get that name in any way. 

Details not known it is far too early, but it may well work like a landrush when a non-instanced housing zone is opened (a recent topic in another thread). Without the camping. We may be given access to the character creation screen as if the game was live (with or without options to choose race, appearance etc) and the chance to enter a name for the server to accept. Whoever hits enter first for a particular name on a particular server gets the name. No indication that pledge level matters for this other than needing a level that gives a name reservation. In other words top tier pledgers haven't been promised *earlier* name reservation than lower tier pledgers.

Some names are likely to be off-limits for various reasons (naughty, reserved by the developers for their own use, duplicative of NPC names, identical to prominent names elsewhere they do not want used in the game, undesirable in their view because of the game's lore (identical to that of a God for example), etc.

There may or may not be limitiations on how many names one can reserve.

I am speculating, of course, but I am reasonably certain that the process will not tie-in with testing and other games with full wipes have not to my knowledge given testers priority in names for the full release.

This post was edited by dorotea at December 6, 2017 3:47 AM PST
    • 9115 posts
    December 6, 2017 4:26 AM PST

Zeem said:

Kittik said:

Post by Kilsin.

Thank you, Zeem!

As Zeem pointed out, we already have a thread on this exact topic, so I will go ahead and close this one to help consolidate information, please use the search function prior to creating a new thread as more times than not you will find something already exists that you can add too :)