Forums » The Ogres

Ogre butt scratch, troll waddle

• 11 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:01 AM PST

Something that I really miss from the current ogre model is the size of the older EQ models. How large they are and obviously the butt scratch, the game really needs the immersive butt scratch. These ogres look like huge orcs to me, I like it but there needs to be variance in the sizes of stomache/girth that makes them truly unique Maybe even skin color also.

also would love, love, love to see trolls(old model eq1). I really feel that would be a epic lore behind them and could only imagine the story/atmosphere behind it. Pretty please?

more waddle and butt scratch are needed.

This post was edited by Dreadstar at December 4, 2017 11:04 AM PST
    • 420 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:28 AM PST

The Skar are "trolls". They stated that the Skar were supposed to be called trolls, then as they designed them they realized that they needed a new name so called them Skar instead.

As such, I wouldn't expect "trolls" to be put into the game.

Also we haven't even seen any of the Ogre's customization options yet. Everything we've seen are just cookie cutter characters for their testing.

Also, i'm good with not having ogre's be just big fat lumps of ****. I think the current model looks much more in line with what an "orge" should be.

• 2708 posts
    December 4, 2017 11:38 AM PST

Dreadstar said:

the immersive butt scratch

never did I think I would see these words in the same sentence lol.

Pantheon is trying to cast a new light on the races - to make them unique, but still have enough similarities to make them feel familiar. The lore for the Ogres in Terminus clearly states that they are more intelligent than the ogres you are used to. They are of course big, smelly, and lacking common courtesies, but that doesn't mean they're stupid. They are focused, clever war machines. I don't think it's entirely inaccurate to think of them as oversized orcs - personally they remind me of the Uruk-hai in LotR and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. It's a cool fresh perspective.

See this thread: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2959/bring-back-the-fat-ogres

Trolls were actually a race in Pantheon way back in the early days, but as they continued to build the lore of Terminus, they decided the Trolls didn't really fit and that race morphed into what we know as the Skar today. So I highly doubt the trolls will find their way back into Terminus. See these threads:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2134/trolls-out

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5411/why-skar-why-not-trolls

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5689/eq1-trolls

Anyway, some little details are just best left in EQ for the sake of nostalgia :)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at December 4, 2017 12:08 PM PST
    • 3 posts
    December 4, 2017 2:01 PM PST

The trolls and ogres in eq were a lot of fun. I remember my dad passing by as I was running my unarmored newbie female ogre around and him asking, "What IS that?.." then watching the scratching animation and laughing about it.

The first time I encountered a toll was with my newbie barbarian in Halas. The guy had earned enough faction with the guards to come in and I thought that was fasinating to see this clunky green hulk clomping around snow town. Then I realized I could do this with my ogre and moved in with the halfings of Rivervale lol.

Better have someone with a shrink spell if you're going in a dungeon. That was probably the worst part.

• 854 posts
    December 8, 2017 8:23 PM PST

While I am quite happy the Pantheon Ogres are not the morons we had for the EQ1 Ogres, what I did like about the original Ogre model was not the butt scratch but the death animation.  The Ogre would fall down on its butt then flop onto it's back, with its arms out to its side.  Best death animation of any race.