Forums » The Wizard

Mana Pool/Regen

• 20 posts
    November 28, 2017 5:44 PM PST

So I decided to roll a wizard on eq's Agnarr server the other day to get my Fix(tm) and I find myself reminded how difficult it is to manage my mana. I find myself blowing my whole bar to kill a single creature, and then meditating for at least three solid minutes after every kill assuming I do actually win the fight. I get that wizards simply can't solo very well, but when I get into groups I find myself casting only one or two spells per fight and still struggling to keep my mana pool above 50% or so.

Do you think that P:RotF wizards will have similar issues, or will they have more depth than {Have full mana?} > {Yes} > {Cast one spell} > {OOM}

• 1631 posts
    November 28, 2017 7:00 PM PST

Use lower lvl spells till u can get better gear with higher +mana etc,  look at your spells to find out which ones use least mana but have moderate dps, keep one hard hitting spell in your bar for that do or die moment.   Med in between roots and if u have sow u can get far enough ahead to sit for a few seconds  get some mana back . Never played a wizzy, but it's how i managed my spells on my mage

• 367 posts
    November 28, 2017 8:16 PM PST

Some things on EQ Wizards for beginners. Years ago (14 years ish) I maxed a Wizard out on EQ, this is advice for a person thinking of starting one. It should all mostly still be sound.

In EQ you have to play the wizard in a group as the insurance policy much of the time. Smart players in a group will understand this and be thankful when there is trouble, and trouble will happen 

If the pull is no danger then cast a small spell or be prepared with a root or something to help with control. Try to keep your mana above 60 percent at all times. It may look like you are lazy but when there is big trouble you can focus on dropping what the tank is fighting as fast as you can without getting aggro on a healthy mob. Then get on the next target of the Tank and burn that mother down while trying not to take it off the Tank. Maybe you can save the healer by perfoming the greatest power an EQ wizard has, Aggro. You can pull aggro on almost anything if you want. Pull aggro off the healer if needed and root the beast until better control can be cast on it, or the tank can switch to it. When the group has trouble and you are full of Mana then you will shine, as you burn up all your Mana saving the group, they will be amazed. Then you will be sitting so long they will be sure you must be AFK. Make some Wizard noises or something so they know you are still there.

Do not run around if the tank is trying to get aggro on your rooted mob and it is chasing you, take a little beating and you will be fine if you are in a good group. Do not run around if the tank is trying to get aggro on any mob that is beating you. If you must run try not to gain aggro on other things that will beat your group to death after you die from running. Just don't run unless the whole group is bailing, it looks bad on us.

Try to own the latest spells but do not forget the ones you have. Having a small spell or two up is a good idea if in a group. I found soloing a Wizard in EQ will require a lot of sitting. If you can pick your fight and use your head you can burn down some tough stuff if fizzles do not get you. Stay trained in all areas your spells use. Later you will be a solo killing machine when you can kite, but again down time can be rough.

Set out the rules for using an evacuation spell with a group before hand (when you get one), if you group with the same people a lot they will begin to trust your judgement and just go by instinct.

The wizard when played well in a smart adventuring group is a great asset and is very fun. In most raids the wizard is pretty boring and you just burn things down when told too; unless you watch and learn and start leading raids yourself.

Later, joining an AE group can do some killing on a massive scale. Should be good info online about this.

Keep your bandaging skill up, one good DOT after the fight has ended can kill you easy, because you are a bag of pudding with a turret attached.

You need good weight reduction bags so you do not waste stats needing strength and you can carry your loot, stones for spells, food, bandages, and your robe collection :) 

Sit and Med Med Med as much as you can. Pay attention and do not draw aggro by sitting, it happens and in a big fight it can be disruptive.

Do not get in the line of sight between the healer and the tank unless you have too. If you cast and sit try not to clutter up the pulling / Fighting spot

There is much more but just off the top of my head advice for a new EQ Wizard, as I see it , and you may not be new to EQ,  but others that may want to try it may find some useful info here.

• 20 posts
    November 29, 2017 4:23 AM PST
    Wow, that is some fantastic advice, thank you!
    • 2764 posts
    December 7, 2017 9:38 AM PST

Vaarsuvious said:

So I decided to roll a wizard on eq's Agnarr server the other day to get my Fix(tm) and I find myself reminded how difficult it is to manage my mana. I find myself blowing my whole bar to kill a single creature, and then meditating for at least three solid minutes after every kill assuming I do actually win the fight. I get that wizards simply can't solo very well, but when I get into groups I find myself casting only one or two spells per fight and still struggling to keep my mana pool above 50% or so.

Do you think that P:RotF wizards will have similar issues, or will they have more depth than {Have full mana?} > {Yes} > {Cast one spell} > {OOM}

Don't forget the Harvest spell...and that goes into cooldown after you use it.  Don't remember what level you can access Harvest...but keep it on your spell bar.

• 367 posts
    December 7, 2017 10:09 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

Vaarsuvious said:

Don't forget the Harvest spell...and that goes into cooldown after you use it.  Don't remember what level you can access Harvest...but keep it on your spell bar.

yes ! ;  I loved that spell when I got it

• 2764 posts
    December 7, 2017 10:28 AM PST

Skycaster said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Vaarsuvious said:

yes ! ;  I loved that spell when I got it

Think Harvest arrived somewhere around the Velious expac,  back in the day.   I was on Agnarr and found it in one of the spell vendors in Felwithe,  for those that don't know Harvest gathers mana from the air..and gives you a small per centage back,  helps speed up medding a bit.    And back in the day ANY help was much appreciated for my wizzie.  :)   

• 2 posts
    January 19, 2018 2:59 PM PST

Hopefully they give wizards the Familier Pet right off the bat. But instead of differnt spells to summon a minion it would be nice to have it grow as you level granting more abilities like increased mana regen, int buffs, resists, see invis, increased mana pool. But also if it dies you get a constitution damage in the form of a long lasting con debuff. And the spell would have an hour long cool down. Risk/vs Reward. It would also be great to choose you familier type Raven, Rat, Imp, Snake, Cat, halfing, and so on. You could change it familier type at a price. 

• 2764 posts
    February 15, 2018 12:02 PM PST

Think my choice .if I had a choice for a familiar would be either a Raven, or an Owl. :)

• 31 posts
    April 6, 2018 1:52 PM PDT

Skycaster speaks Truth!