Forums » Fan Fiction

[Preserver]

• 220 posts
    November 26, 2017 12:06 PM PST

In honor of the 5,000 fans that have downloaded my first fan fiction, I offer the community a hearty "Thank You".

In giving thanks for your support,I present to you my attempt at a Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Fan fiction novella. 

May you fall in love with the characters, their world, and their tale, and not get distracted through the holidays with silly things like PA1.

Preserver 

P.S. If anyone is interested I will host an AMA in this thread, at leats until the forums get upgraded!  

This post was edited by Larr at November 26, 2017 12:06 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 26, 2017 1:47 PM PST

Wow, so that's what you've been up to! Excellent job, Larr!

• 3237 posts
    November 26, 2017 1:58 PM PST

Your passion and commitment to this game is remarkable.  Thank you for taking the time to express your creativity and for sharing it with the rest of us!

• 98 posts
    November 26, 2017 2:05 PM PST

Larr, you inspire me. Am struggling atm to carry my tale forward. After reading your work I have found a new reservoir of creativity. I thank you!

Gratz on the 5k. I cannot imagine that many people reading my work.

Much respect, Jazz.

This post was edited by Jazznblues at November 26, 2017 2:07 PM PST
    • 220 posts
    November 26, 2017 6:04 PM PST

Thanks y'all. I'm happy I could nab a few minutes (hours) of your time. Also, im not afraid to hear what parts you hated, PM me if ya like.  Its hard to keep a fresh reader mindset after the 7th revision, so I welcome the opportunity to grow.   

• 781 posts
    November 26, 2017 8:50 PM PST

Very nice @Larr ! :)  congratz !

• 626 posts
    November 27, 2017 8:28 AM PST

Awesome! Congrats!!

• 624 posts
    November 27, 2017 2:30 PM PST

Just returned from a week long holiday enjoyed with over forty relatives, extended family & friends to be greeted by this amazing gift.  Thank you Larr for sharing this special treat.

You had me at ‘...shame songbirds into silence’, but continued to serve up numerous other delights as a marvelous feast. Your choice of name for The Preserver seems apt in many languages, not just elven. Your scene descriptions are vibrant, containing vivid kennings (I loved ‘neverbrown’, for example, uniquely yours).  I thoroughly enjoyed your menagerie of characters. My favorite was Architect Cai, I wished we could have spent more time in his telling. I know, you thought I was going to say Bruidor! Of course I loved Maestro Windbag; but Scarletpaw, The Ents, even the ever-present dual dragonflies all added magical heft to your tale (much like Aya’s satchel). The artwork on the cover was a nice touch.

You have fleshed out the brief lore of the Elves of S’iolaen provided by Istuulamae into a grand tale of sorrow, sacrifice and loss as well as heroism and hope. Bravo!

This post was edited by Kumu at November 27, 2017 2:34 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:46 PM PST

Great stuff, Larr! :D

• 220 posts
    November 28, 2017 11:34 PM PST

Ah, a thorough read indeed, Kumu!

That's an interesting study on why Architect Cai may be your favorite.  I think it has to do with more characterization through action and dialogue, than description. [Dialogue is something I have to say I need to work on].  I believe Scarletpaw may have benefitted from more wild and angry dialogue as well. For example "I am here to make a request" could work better as "We hunt you, not for your flesh, but for the  blood that beats through your stubborn heart. S'iolaen wills you to bare our magics, and you shall."

Also, I appreciate you calling the cover "artwork" (hahaha). I drew traced that together myself, I just tried to make a simple design that felt kind of dated and earthy, you know, druidic. =D

Thanks for the review.  You made my day! 

This post was edited by Larr at November 28, 2017 11:36 PM PST
    • 12 posts
    April 22, 2018 8:16 AM PDT

A most enjoyable read and a significant contribution to the elven lore.  There was so much I liked about your story, but what has lasted most in my mind was the character development.  I really loved the self-discovery going on with Aya, and also to an extent with Bruidor.  I feel like the best stories have some kind of internal change, or shift, that happens in the characters, and at those changes ride the outer narrative with grace.  From my view, you've really accomplished that here.

• 197 posts
    September 4, 2019 9:25 AM PDT

If ever there was a post that needed to be brought back to life, it is this one. What an incredible contribution to not only the lore, but to the community as well! I really enjoyed reading this and would echo what Kumu and Herztam said. I too find this inspirational. I am nowhere near your ability as a creative writer, but am working to develop the craft while we wait for the day we all experience this world ourselves. 

If there was one line that I enjoyed most, it might be, “Three crisp Tohr’mentirii corpses were smoldering at the temple’s main door and flakes of flesh fluttered on the magical fizzle clinging to the air...” Morbid yes, but wonderfully depicted haha. The scene with Aellos and the prophecy was also very well written. 

Thank you for this Larr. Keep up the great work!

• 220 posts
    September 6, 2019 7:05 AM PDT

You are welcome, and thanks for reading. I'm glad this tale hasn't been lost in time! I'll keep writing if you do! =)