Forums » News and Announcements

The Making of a City stream is now up on YouTube

• 9115 posts
    November 21, 2017 8:21 PM PST

The Making of a City stream is now up on YouTube for those who missed it, so be sure to check it out and let us know what you think! #PRF #communitymatters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_29h3_Npw

style="display: block; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" src="https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DPNYoCBVoAYBhAH.jpg:large" alt="" width="1095" height="616">

• 10 posts
    November 22, 2017 7:22 AM PST

It was a beautiful peek behind the curtains and I'm incredibly grateful you guys did this. It just makes me so excited to explore that massive expanse. The artwork and design is just absolutely stunning, and the thought and care put into the lore motivating all these things is remarkable. Really excited.

• 71 posts
    November 22, 2017 8:46 AM PST

That was an excellent live stream.  The city seems to be coming along, I'm looking forward to seeing how the market section gets fleshed out, both the visuals and mechanics.

• 294 posts
    November 22, 2017 10:11 AM PST

So the city is 500+ years old. The entrance gate is awesome. I loved the music when crossing the bridge but we need some majestic, 500 year old trees lining the wall. Perhaps a couple giant oak or ash trees would suffice.

Maybe a couple huge dwarven statues with/or instead of trees.

I've truly enjoyed the entire graybox presentation. The promise of what is to come is fantasy!

Thanks again for another mouth watering video.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at November 22, 2017 6:08 PM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 22, 2017 10:57 AM PST

Klumpedge said:

While it wouldn't make much sense to have dwarven statues outside the human city, I agree you can never have too many dwarves :P

• 255 posts
    November 22, 2017 12:07 PM PST

It was quite interesting to watch. The reality check to it though was how much more work needs to be done on the MMO. Looks like another year of work before Alpha :)

Are other cities at a simular stage in development or are they more advanced in their design work?

it will look awsome once populated with NPC vendors and other assets.

At least we know where Thor left his hammer.

• 30 posts
    November 22, 2017 2:11 PM PST
    Thanks to everyone for doing this!

The city looks amazing, and hearing the ideas behind the duality of its layout was refreshing. Ahh the details, they got me right in the feels.

Trying hard to enjoy the wait. Very excited about what you guys are building.
    • 294 posts
    November 22, 2017 3:56 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Klumpedge said:

While it wouldn't make much sense to have dwarven statues outside the human city, I agree you can never have too many dwarves :P

I just love Dwarves Baz... What can I say?...

• 32 posts
    November 22, 2017 5:40 PM PST

Thankyou for the glimpse into your processes.  I thoroughly enjoyed the walk-through and narrative of the process you go through to build the game.

The thought and care you take to ensure the lore and the environment reflect and compliment each other shows great promise. I can easily see someone losing themselves into the world just walking through the city.  Keep up the great work!

• 1095 posts
    November 24, 2017 11:31 AM PST

I enjoyed the stream and the process of how yall go about using the gray models to get a feel of the area. Wish I was in pre-alpha to help test but I am sure Alpha will have plenty to test. Keep up the good work.

• 70 posts
    November 24, 2017 11:49 PM PST

it looks so good, really neat to see the process used, ty for sharing this, so cool!

• 213 posts
    November 25, 2017 1:13 AM PST

Making of a city stream - First impressions.

To the art team - Wonderful work!!

I love the trees swaying in the wind and the shadows of those leaves on the ground!  I love the contrast from the lighting against those trees too the shade looks perfect! Thank you so much for showing your unfinished WIP. It  can be really hard to do that and I give you serious kudos for throwing yourselves out there that way. 

I'm particularly liking the way you have the city layout and just in case you were wondering my first inclination was to head to the right towards peace and tranquility.  =)  I love that you guys found a way to show man's dupicitious nature by presenting the two opposite choices and then letting the player decide.  Beautiful and well thought out.  I could kiss you all on the cheek!  The grassy patch areas are really well done.  It feels more alive especially as you run through it!! GREAT TOUCH!  I hope you guys add in neat end game polishes like fireflies at night and moon phases.  It would also be really cool if there were events that occured durring those different moon cycles. 

Floor plan looks amazing, I know that was a ton of work but you guys are gonna blow peoples minds when this is done - keep it up!

Like the textures so far including the moss to give it that dated look some weathering might be neat on the pavement too. =)

The lanterns look beautiful I can't wait to see the beautiful golden glow at night.  It would be neat to see some bugs hanging out near the light sources too, and occasionally merchants tending to these lights.

I'm a huge explorer, so everything you guys add in I will be paying very close attention to. =)

Questions for the team on final game polishes: 

Will the city have seasons? If so will this affect the prices of certain things in the city?

I think I heard something about weather systems, this would be wonderful (especially if it affected the npc's in some way.) For example when it rains, maybe some merchants go to the tavern to have a drink and they become less interested in selling for awhile? Or maybe it just makes them grumpy.

Will the trees have falling leaves? 

Will there be grass growing in between cracks of certain areas?

Game design questions:

Will the merchants be persuaded with gifts and complements to lower their prices? 

Can we haggle merchants?  If so will doing so affect our health?  =P

Will there be competing merchants occasionally? If so, can players find rare deals while shopping the market this way?

NPC factions: Can I hurt my pocket book by doing buisness with someone other npc's dislike?

Thanks for indulging me, I really am excited about your creative process and I'm really happy to have had a peek behind the curtain.  <3

• 66 posts
    November 25, 2017 8:25 AM PST
    I really loved the stream! Thank you for putting the time and effort into making it. The scale of the whole city was gi-nomous. I’m sure once all the NPCs and decor are in it won’t look sooo empty. I really excited about the PA1.
    • 3016 posts
    November 25, 2017 10:32 AM PST

I liked the detail..the moss growing on the stone walls..COHH was kind enough to do some closeups in this and other streams.   The sky, the clouds,  the trees...and the shadows all look great,  and then there's the architecture,  and how far away you can see tiny figures walking around.   Very impressive. :)  

• 3016 posts
    November 25, 2017 10:35 AM PST

Klumpedge said:

So the city is 500+ years old. The entrance gate is awesome. I loved the music when crossing the bridge but we need some majestic, 500 year old trees lining the wall. Perhaps a couple giant oak or ash trees would suffice.

I've truly enjoyed the entire graybox presentation. The promise of what is to come is fantasy!

Thanks again for another mouth watering video.

I'd like to see some homage paid to the Dragon Kind..perhaps a statue or two (I'm a huge fan of Dragons.)    "Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons,  for thou art crunchy and go well with ketchup."      or "Here there be Dragons"  (map marking).   :)

Cana

• 10 posts
    November 27, 2017 1:10 PM PST

One thing that I might suggest to increase the richness of atmosphere and mitigate the feeling of emptiness (not emotional lol) would be to divide the city with walls of low and varied height. Create distinct sections, while still being able to admire the massive central structures towering above the walls in the distance. The market in particular would benefit from that cramped, claustrophobic feeling, that would add to ambience and increase the illusion of bustling activity. I could see guards roaming the top walkways of these walls, looking out for thieves and other low-lifes. And since the city is 500 years old I would think different groups would create their own spaces within, burroughs like New York City, that show strong cultural influences and a rich diversity. These are just musings, of course.

• 624 posts
    November 27, 2017 3:16 PM PST

Loved the stream, let me begin by echoing the kudos above. Shadows, trees, grass, scale - all marvelous. Jared’s statement was Visionary (pun intended) “don’t focus on what’s not there on the gray boxes, but imagine what they can become (paraphrased, probably badly, but fully agree)... humankind’s hometown is off to a great start! #WeAreNotBoring. Can’t wait to see perform inside the tavern. The theatre in Freeport was a nice touch that allowed for some great role play. Also, I am curious where the royal court will be located (time will tell!). Perfect place for a bard to mingle and maybe make some coin. Or at least entertain.

Thank you VR.

• 13 posts
    November 29, 2017 11:31 PM PST

Seems like a good city to ransack and raid as an evil race !!

• 25 posts
    December 1, 2017 1:26 PM PST

Will the city be renamed to Ftorpyranoisiv? :p

Thanks for showing some behind the scenes stuff, especially the pictures!

This post was edited by RpTheHotrod at December 1, 2017 1:27 PM PST
    • 6 posts
    December 1, 2017 9:05 PM PST

Looking wonderful, thanks for the behind the scenes.

on a side note....

poor poor Qeynos, such a love hate relationship with that City.

• 35 posts
    December 4, 2017 2:12 PM PST

This was really neat to see, and I like the scale of the city. Large is good for a human capital, as in fantasy lore humans are industrious.

If I could introduce some constructive criticism (knowing the city is far from complete), and with no expectation of implementation... cities are often not immaculate in design.  They tend to start small with limited but meaningful design based on current availale labor and resources.  With time they expand and change with population and innovation for those limited resources.

Thus, the end result of a city being 500 years old would be different parts of a city with different feel.  For example a market district, a high society area, slums, religious, docks, etc.

I only say this as the current setup looks very open and "user friendly."  In fact comments were made in the video about design of cities being user friendly as many times players only use towns for necessities like class trainers or banks, and making these utilities a chore to get to may result in players abandoning the area. 

I totally agree with the assertation of what many game's towns have become, and agree that it is VR's decision on how to use your resources as only you (and not the general public) know what limited resources you have.  However, there is more than one reason for the de-emphasis of cities in mmos, such as towns being just a quest hub or auction house with no reason to explore.  the perception system could create more reasons to explore... even with expansions!

I only wanted to point this out as Brad has stated he wants to make worlds, and not games.  Having diverse and realistic cities, in my opinion, helps towards that end.  Narrow roadways or alleys that eventually open up into markets and public buildings makes sense.  Twists and turns from the docks that if you take a right leads you to the marketplace, or if you take a left lands you to the sewers and in the presence of criminals who are hiding from the law, makes cities more like dungeons and less like banks.  Most of the buildings or structures needed to create this environment don't even need to be accessible to create this ambience.

If you made it all the way through this, I appreciate the time.  I could state more, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Keep up the good work, VR.. I cannot wait to explore terminus!

• 13 posts
    December 5, 2017 11:36 PM PST

Are they going to be flammable ?

• 87 posts
    December 28, 2017 5:35 AM PST

Very impressiv work and alot of thought and sweet behind the consept of the creative progress >< would really want to see a similar video of a race and the work behind it =D 

plz...

Mod Edit: Removed image as per guidelines.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at December 29, 2017 3:41 PM PST
    • 287 posts
    December 28, 2017 5:54 PM PST

Really loved the in-depth look at the work in progress.  Thank you for keeping us in the loop! 

A little constructive criticism if I may:

* I super appreciate the attention to detail and the focus on "detail density".  The environment is key to immersion and staying focussed on the story instead of "the game".  Along those lines, I've always found it immersion-breaking for the grass and trees to be constantly swaying like they're in a storm but the weather is sunny and otherwise calm.  It would be wonderful if the foliage behaved realistically according to the current weather.

* Another poster commented that a 500 year old city should have 500 year old trees.  +1 to that.  And your trees look fantastic, btw.

* Please dirty up that city! 500 years of people living inside a set of walls will not result in a pristine environment.  There should be seedy areas and areas at the opposite end of the specturm -- high and low rent.  The place should be dense with NPCs and there ought to even be a makeshift (or even nicer) "town" outside the walls for all those people to live.  A perfect walled city in the middle of nowhere seems... improbable.  Think Los Angeles and its surrounds -- and that's only 200 years old.

I'll play the heck out of whatever you guys build simply because I'm looking forward to the game mechanics.  And also because you allow this kind of feedback :)

This post was edited by Akilae at December 28, 2017 5:54 PM PST
    • 166 posts
    December 31, 2017 2:14 AM PST

The Making of a City stream was amazing. Before I watched your live streams I never heard of Cohh, but what a great pick you made with Cohh. He adds the right mix conversation, information and fun. It was nice meeting Jared Pullen. He is very humble, detailed and entertaining.

Thronefast is huge! It felt like it took forever just to get across the bridge, haha. The artwork and design is amazing! I want to play now, but every time I see an update, I am reminded that Pantheon is well worth the wait.