Forums » The Dire Lord

Shadow Knight 2.0 hopes

• 2 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:02 PM PST

They better have FD pulling, 2H swords, darkness, spear and life tap spells along with HT on the Dire Lord in this game! 

• 916 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:05 PM PST

I take it you're not wanting a Vanguard Dread Lord type of character, that has abilities based on dread?

• 104 posts
    November 20, 2017 9:03 PM PST

I'm guessing they purposely changed the name around to differentiate the class from previous iterations. Going by that I think it's a fair assumption to think it will not have exactly the same abilities and utilities we've seen previously.

The name Dire Lord could be translated to "Master of causing great fear or suffering", making me think its design will be more focused on negative auras, affecting the mental state of their enemies, debuffing their ability to fight and slowly killing them over time (DoTs).

• 93 posts
    November 21, 2017 12:02 PM PST

But Harm Touch is in right??

Right?

• 37 posts
    November 22, 2017 2:15 PM PST

kelenin said:

I take it you're not wanting a Vanguard Dread Lord type of character, that has abilities based on dread?

I did not have the chance to play Dread Lord but I would be happy if the Dire Lord in Pantheon is designed in a similar way.. lot of AOE, debuffs, damage over time abilitie, toxic/poison damage. Dire Lord would be able to absorb life from his ennemies if they are previously debuffed/cursed.

• 178 posts
    November 24, 2017 12:36 AM PST
    As long as HT has a shorter cooldown!
    • 76 posts
    November 28, 2017 2:45 PM PST

We talked about Harm Touch in the Pantheon Discord Channel last night.  Harm Touch in vanilla EQ had a 72 minute cooldown and did (Level * 10) + 1 damage.  A level 50 Shadow Knight would do 501 damage that was nearly unresistable.  A level 50 non-player character (NPC) had about 5,000 hitpoints on average, but hitpoints increased exponentially based upon level for NPCs.  Therefore, at level 50, Harm Touch did approximately 10-percent of the NPC's life in one hit.  However, a level 25 non-player character had about 1,250 hit points, and Harm Touch did 20-percent of the NPC's life in one hit.  In other words, the higher level the Shadow Knight, the worse (but still useful) Harm Touch became. 

In Pantheon, I would like to see Harm Touch have the following features:

* 30 minute cooldown with a 60 minute maximum charge time;
    * Dire Lord could use the Harm Touch after 30 minutes, but it would be 50-percent less effective than if he waited an additional 30 minutes, and this would scale based upon the time to charge;
    * Harm Touch would cause immense agro to the target and significant agro to all NPCs within 10 meters;
    * Harm Touch would cause damage that increased linearly based on the Dire Lord's level, plus a moderate intelligence modifier ((Level * 10) + (INT * 1.5) or 950 damage at Level 50 with 300 intelligence (maximum).  Fighting an equal level NPC, base damage would be approximately 50-percent of a normal level 1 NPC's health, and 10-percent of a level 50's health. 
    * Harm Touch can be resisted based upon a percentage factored by charisma and wisdom.  The higher the wisdom, lower the charisma, and higher the Dire Lord is from the target, the less the Harm Touch can be resisted.

• 11 posts
    November 29, 2017 2:15 PM PST

metteec said:

We talked about Harm Touch in the Pantheon Discord Channel last night.  Harm Touch in vanilla EQ had a 72 minute cooldown and did (Level * 10) + 1 damage.  A level 50 Shadow Knight would do 501 damage that was nearly unresistable.  A level 50 non-player character (NPC) had about 5,000 hitpoints on average, but hitpoints increased exponentially based upon level for NPCs.  Therefore, at level 50, Harm Touch did approximately 10-percent of the NPC's life in one hit.  However, a level 25 non-player character had about 1,250 hit points, and Harm Touch did 20-percent of the NPC's life in one hit.  In other words, the higher level the Shadow Knight, the worse (but still useful) Harm Touch became. 

In Pantheon, I would like to see Harm Touch have the following features:

* 30 minute cooldown with a 60 minute maximum charge time;
    * Dire Lord could use the Harm Touch after 30 minutes, but it would be 50-percent less effective than if he waited an additional 30 minutes, and this would scale based upon the time to charge;
    * Harm Touch would cause immense agro to the target and significant agro to all NPCs within 10 meters;
    * Harm Touch would cause damage that increased linearly based on the Dire Lord's level, plus a moderate intelligence modifier ((Level * 10) + (INT * 1.5) or 950 damage at Level 50 with 300 intelligence (maximum).  Fighting an equal level NPC, base damage would be approximately 50-percent of a normal level 1 NPC's health, and 10-percent of a level 50's health. 
    * Harm Touch can be resisted based upon a percentage factored by charisma and wisdom.  The higher the wisdom, lower the charisma, and higher the Dire Lord is from the target, the less the Harm Touch can be resisted.

I don't really care if HT makes it into the DL bag of tools (DK in VG was fine without it), and I like the idea of it refereshing more quickly and building up in power, I think I would prefer a mechanic similar to VG's Dreadful Countenance and Bane. DK could build up DC on a mob, then use Bane to nuke based on how much DC was built up.

Much more strategic, useful and creative than a simple nuke with a timer on it.

This post was edited by nscheffel at November 29, 2017 2:17 PM PST
    • 13 posts
    December 1, 2017 7:38 AM PST

HarmTouch is super powerful in PvP don't make it too powerful

• 104 posts
    December 1, 2017 8:19 AM PST

trakanon said:

In EQ2 Harm Touch had different ratios for PvP. Not that it really matters, as PvP considerations shouldn't be first in line when it comes to anything in this game anyways.

That being said, I don't really care if Harm Touch is part of their kit or not honestly. If anything, I think it's easier to diversify their kit if they don't have it.

• 2708 posts
    December 4, 2017 5:40 AM PST

Menubrea said:

trakanon said:

In EQ2 Harm Touch had different ratios for PvP. Not that it really matters, as PvP considerations shouldn't be first in line when it comes to anything in this game anyways.

VR said in the very first stream that they are specifically designing all abilities to be tuned separately for PvE and PvP. So for example, if something is balanced in PvE but OP in PvP, they can adjust it to make it balanced in PvP without having any effect on PvE and vice versa. They're completely unrelated.

• 47 posts
    December 14, 2017 1:24 PM PST

Kraav said:

They better have FD pulling, 2H swords, darkness, spear and life tap spells along with HT on the Dire Lord in this game! 

Coming in strong with that better have comment, Kraav. ;) 

We've discussed it lightly in threads like Dire Lord Lineage, Expectations, and Speculation, but it's very likely Dire Lords will have no feign death as that's a key ability of the monk. I think the best chance we have at getting it, which is something I'm indifferent to personally, is at a very high level and very high recast (cooldown). I would to go as far as say level 40 (if cap is 50) and 2-5 minutes, so we don't steal the limelight from another class. That said, if the Dire Lord's key ability is something along the lines of Harm Touch, I don't expect any other class to come close to having such an ability.