Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Favorite Boss Mechanics/encounter

• 75 posts
    November 19, 2017 9:41 AM PST

Id like to see what everyones Favorite Boss Mechanics/encounters are. And why.

For Example it could be a boss that is immune to crushing damage( blunt weapons ) or one that is immune to magic attacks and Magic weapons, or one that charms a player to attack the group if you dont interupt him in time.

Im interested to see peoples thoughts.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 9:53 AM PST

Given that the mobs have a rudimentary AI, one thing that I would like to see is bosses that learn from their previous defeats.  For instance, maybe the first time "he" was defeated, it was by a bunch of "cold spells".  Maybe for the next encounter "he" has cold resist gear.

Obviously, there would need to be some sort of limitation on that othereise you make a "learning boss" invulnerable over time.

• 75 posts
    November 19, 2017 10:05 AM PST

Kalok said:

Given that the mobs have a rudimentary AI, one thing that I would like to see is bosses that learn from their previous defeats.  For instance, maybe the first time "he" was defeated, it was by a bunch of "cold spells".  Maybe for the next encounter "he" has cold resist gear.

Obviously, there would need to be some sort of limitation on that othereise you make a "learning boss" invulnerable over time.

That would be very interesting, Not the invulnerable over time part LOL, but the Learning part, Expanding on your Boss learning from past experiences and to limit the chances of invulnerable over time, maybe the boss could have different Sets of abilitys and resist sets they can use...So as you said Last time it was Defeated was with cold spells So it puts on cold resist Gear, but also this time it uses fire attacks instead of magic, or it uses poison attacks, Now it would have to have a limited  number of resist sets and abilitys, but it could rotate these resists and abilitys around every time it is defeated or is reset, so that you Never know what to expect.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 10:11 AM PST

Another thing that this would "help" with is to make it more difficult for sites to come up with a "walkthrough" for the defeating of the boss.

• 75 posts
    November 19, 2017 10:23 AM PST

Agreed, it would "Help" with people just Zerging bosses too, Since the boss would reset its abilitys and resists after every Defeat, Either its Defeat or yours. Trying the same tactic over and over wouldn't work. Just because you zerged the boss the first time because it was only using poison or disease attacks and the healers were removing them fast enough, doesnt mean that THIS time the boss will be using the same attacks / resists, he could be using life leach or fire Etc.

• 98 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:25 PM PST

I liked the tactic of Vox and Naggy in EQ1 where they banish anyone on their aggro list that is over level 52. With Pantheon this could maybe be expanded so that the area around the boss can completely disable higher level characters so they can't buff or heal the raiders, or higher level buffs can be stripped.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:41 PM PST

Something else that might be interesting is if you repeatedly went up against a specific boss, over time they remembered you and called you by name.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 19, 2017 12:41 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:50 PM PST

Curse Callers in Inku'ta the Unmasked Chapel.  You need to kill 6 CurseCallers.  While trying to kill these 6 CurseCallers (all who cast quite debilitating debuffs but have little DPS of their own) up to 5 Curse Bearers can spawn at any given time.  As one spawns, a random person in the raid will receive a /tell saying "I am coming for you".  If the Curse Bearer touches you, it hits for 100k and procs a Death Touch.  The good thing it is doesnt run very fast so you can avoid being touched.  After a few moments it will depawn and another Curse Bearer will spawn so there are usually 5 active at any one time.

I love raids where everyone needs to pay attention and react to to either a personal event, like the Curse Bearers, or a raid-wide event like an AoE  Events where different groups need to focus on different things simulataneously are really the best.  Emperor Ssraezsha in Ssra Temple Luclin expanion is a good example as are the raid events in the Muramite Proving Grounds Omens of War expansion.

• 75 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:52 PM PST

Kalok said:

Something else that might be interesting is if you repeatedly went up against a specific boss, over time they remembered you and called you by name.

HAHA that would be funny, the look some on peoples face would be awesome when they hear their name called out, they would be WTF HAHA, maybe because they had  remembered them they would focus their attacks on them reguardless of the tank, because the boss now has a grudge against that player..

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 12:59 PM PST

Tiberius said:

Kalok said:

HAHA that would be funny, the look some on peoples face would be awesome when they hear their name called out, they would be WTF HAHA, maybe because they had  remembered them they would focus their attacks on them reguardless of the tank, because the boss now has a grudge against that player..

That's what I was thinking....  heheheheheh

• 399 posts
    November 19, 2017 1:07 PM PST

I particularly like raid mechanics where everyone has to be on their toes.  EQ Resplendent temple raids come to mind.  Should be Kilsin's type of raid... have to jump out of the window at some point.

• 168 posts
    November 19, 2017 1:13 PM PST

Along the lines of Bosses learning from previous fights. You mentions using different skills. The boss could have like say, 5 skill slots that are defaulty populated at first, but each time they are defeated they pick a skill at random that was used during their previous fight (nukes, Pets, heals, stealths, cleaves, etc.) That way each time a group or raid kills a boss, it decides that since their skills bested him last time, he will adopt one of their skills.

• 1281 posts
    November 19, 2017 1:19 PM PST

Kargen said:

Along the lines of Bosses learning from previous fights. You mentions using different skills. The boss could have like say, 5 skill slots that are defaulty populated at first, but each time they are defeated they pick a skill at random that was used during their previous fight (nukes, Pets, heals, stealths, cleaves, etc.) That way each time a group or raid kills a boss, it decides that since their skills bested him last time, he will adopt one of their skills.

Exactly something like this.  They would just have to be careful in order to keep the boss from becoming "invulnerable".

Hopefully Kilsin or Aradune will stumble across this thread.

• 334 posts
    November 19, 2017 2:03 PM PST

Typically it's the guild raid that needs to discover the mechanics of the scripts employed. That could take a few tries. Usually I recall doing 3 attempt to learn and then move on to another known target as not to get players too depressed for some well diserved loot.
    As learning how a raid works is part of the fun, complicating it with random AI defense changes based on last meet of a guild, could make an event too hard to complete. Especially with multiple stage events like Vandraad's 'Unmasked Chapel' referenced raid. (I liked the GoD raids)
    (I always thought they began slow but moved faster untill they got you; something changed? anyways, ZAM confirms Vandraad).
    Putting in a random factor is definatly something to consider for discovery sake for other guilds as well. Keep scripts every raid the same can become boring.

• 15 posts
    November 19, 2017 2:17 PM PST
    Old school I loved the WoW Onyxia raid. Other than that my favourite fights were in SWTOR. EV Soa, EC Tanks and Kephiss, Scum and Villiany last boss fight, and Dread Masters last fight (never completed nightmare on it). Also a couple of EQ2 bosses in the last couple of expansions were fun too.
    Overall the fights that require communication and awareness for all have been the most fun. Fights where if more than a few mess up it doesn’t end well for you.
    • 65 posts
    November 19, 2017 2:47 PM PST

Kargen said:

Love the idea.. they learn from us, we learn from them.. 

• 207 posts
    November 19, 2017 9:29 PM PST

Hmmm....in FFXI there was an event called salvage. Your group started off naked with locked abilities, when you started  you were given a few keys to unlock various things. You had to prioritize who got what keys. For instance you would want to make sure your healer can heal, and might want your tank to get a main weapon and abilities unlocked. You had a time limit to progress through a maze of sorts to the final boss, and various mini bosses would drop more keys and loot along the way. Wasn't perfect, but the approach to the encounter was very interesting to me.

• 557 posts
    November 19, 2017 10:14 PM PST

I like encounters where the room is locked once you engage the boss.  I like mechanics that discourage zerging and mechanics that force you to hold your ground until either the raid or all the mobs are dead on the floor.

• 3237 posts
    November 20, 2017 6:34 AM PST

Grimix said:

Hmmm....in FFXI there was an event called salvage. Your group started off naked with locked abilities, when you started  you were given a few keys to unlock various things. You had to prioritize who got what keys. For instance you would want to make sure your healer can heal, and might want your tank to get a main weapon and abilities unlocked. You had a time limit to progress through a maze of sorts to the final boss, and various mini bosses would drop more keys and loot along the way. Wasn't perfect, but the approach to the encounter was very interesting to me.

Reminds me of the Ancient Cave from Lufia 2.  I shared a similar idea on here awhile back that Evoras was kind enough to expand on.  It's similar to Palace of the Dead from the FF series but Lufia 2 is the first game where I saw this concept utilized.  Evoras' post is on page 2.  https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4986/ideas

The thing I enjoyed most about it was the replay value.  Nothing earned inside the cave could be used outside of it unless you actually conquered the full dungeon, which was 100 floors deep.  The dungeon also had some progression elements that were exclusive to the dungeon itself.  Every time you entered, you would start off as level 1 and with no gear.  The more you play the dungeon, the more "blue gear" you could earn which was something that you could start off with on future visits.  There were also the iris jewels which could provide a reward for the outside world but they were extremely rare.  The main reason I think something like this would be great for an MMO is this ... it's a "hardcore dungeon" that people can dedicate as much time to as they want, all without interfering with the standard progression of their character or the server.  The biggest issue was finding a way to make it work without instances and I think Evoras delivered some ideas on how that could be accomplished.

• 2886 posts
    November 20, 2017 7:12 AM PST