Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Skeletal Corpse

• 1404 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:07 PM PST

Ok, this whole Corpse as a Skeleton thing. Am I the only one that doesn't like it and would prefer to see a clothed (un-looted) or naked (looted) body there instead? With this Skeletal Corpse they all look alike, if there's a wipe and they're all in a pile, it's going to be near imposable to find yours. Nope! Not feeling the all warm and fuzzy on this one people!

I've been thinking this for some time, and have been ignoring it. "never mind Zork, it's not that big of a deal", "it will be fine Zork ignore it" But I got to the annoucement of the November Newsletter and that first Screen Capture and it's right there in your face.... I'm pretty sure Kilisn did that intentionally to Rogue Taunt me into posting this!

Ok done ranting, now back to read the newsletter..

This post was edited by Zorkon at November 15, 2017 12:09 PM PST
  • November 15, 2017 12:17 PM PST

hmm.. what if there is a provision to ID your particular corpse and drag it out of the pile?  Unsure what the mechanic would be thats being implemented, but yeah.. raid wipes would be a mess.

• 26 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:23 PM PST

I have always liked seeing the pretty pretty gear that failed to save them...

• 18 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:24 PM PST

In EQ you could `/target Gorrax's corpse` to find any corpse then drag it.  Im sure the current model is just a place holder anyway.

This post was edited by Gorrax at November 15, 2017 12:25 PM PST
    • 26 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:29 PM PST
    I personally like seeing all my gear on a fresh corpse. The skeleton corpse is a bit off. Could have went with a nameplated headstone instead.
    • 1095 posts
    November 15, 2017 1:17 PM PST

Skeleton is prolly a placeholder but I kinda like it either way.

This post was edited by Aich at November 15, 2017 1:18 PM PST
    • 1860 posts
    November 15, 2017 1:35 PM PST

I commented on the skeletal corpses in a feedback thread from one of the first time they were shown in a stream on 4/27.  There are a handful of references to the skeletal corpses in that thread titled Live Stream 4/27 -Feedback.

I dug it up.  Here was my comment:

~My first response to the skeletal player corpses was that they looked cool.  Then I started thinking about 50+ people dying in a pile.  Being able to recognize what the characters corpse looks like would make it easier to find a corpse in the the pile to drag out.  Unsure if this is that big of a deal though because, well,  the skeletons looked cool. 

• 98 posts
    November 15, 2017 1:42 PM PST

I want to see a body in the process of decay! Like it starts out looking kinda fresh after dying but gradually it rots away to a skeleton. But that would be super gross and sometimes corpses explode so maybe that's not such a great idea.

• 793 posts
    November 15, 2017 2:35 PM PST

sorn said:

I want to see a body in the process of decay! Like it starts out looking kinda fresh after dying but gradually it rots away to a skeleton. But that would be super gross and sometimes corpses explode so maybe that's not such a great idea.

That would be cool in the sense that if you see a skeleton corpse laying there, you know it's been there for days, and probably nearing expiration.

Thinking on this, I used to offer rezes in the newbie grounds during my down time, I'd run around, see a corpse and send a tell, sometimes they wouldn't be only. It would be kind of cool if the name of the corpse was greyed out or something if the person was offline, thereby making it immediately noticeable that the person is not online.

This post was edited by Fulton at November 15, 2017 2:36 PM PST
    • 319 posts
    November 15, 2017 2:47 PM PST

You can always stand aside and type /corpse and your dead butt will come to you. But I believe what is worse is the people who leave 10 or so corpses with one piece of trash or one copper on it to just foul up the landscape should be punished in some small way. Maybe your only allowed 5 corpses in game period then they just start poofing on thier own.

• 1404 posts
    November 15, 2017 5:10 PM PST

Isaya said:

You can always stand aside and type /corpse and your dead butt will come to you. But I believe what is worse is the people who leave 10 or so corpses with one piece of trash or one copper on it to just foul up the landscape should be punished in some small way. Maybe your only allowed 5 corpses in game period then they just start poofing on thier own.

I believe the /corpse comand you referenced has several modifiers. One of which was /corpse hide that would hide those other corpses easy enough.

• 118 posts
    November 15, 2017 5:30 PM PST

I like the skeleton personally.

This post was edited by OneForAll at November 15, 2017 5:30 PM PST
    • 2419 posts
    November 15, 2017 5:43 PM PST

Nothing wrong with the skeleton.  With corpses all having name tags and the probably existance of /corpse commands the fact they all would look the same is irrelevant.  That said, if they keep the skeletons, please make them difference sizes for the various races.  An Ogre should have an Ogre sized corpse.

• 2752 posts
    November 15, 2017 5:49 PM PST

I'd prefer the corpses with all the gear on them myself, and being able to see the armor being removed from the corpse as you loot it (or glowing when it had a lightsource). 

I think having just a skeleton is a big step backward. 

• 31 posts
    November 15, 2017 7:14 PM PST
    I'd prefer to see my corpse over a generic skeleton.

Maybe for gnomes it should show the pieces of their mask and the pieces of their bodies strewn about. The skeleton works as a placeholder but I hope it's replaced for live.
    • 513 posts
    November 15, 2017 9:22 PM PST

Personally, I wanna see a_Goblin_Peon gnawing on a finger bone...

• 281 posts
    November 15, 2017 9:43 PM PST

More than likely, the skeleton is just a placeholder model.  But I do prefer having one's own corpse showing one's gear and having it removed as you loot each piece.  I wouldn't mind, however, if after a certain period, it became a race appropriate skeleton, indicating that time left before it expires is becoming short. 

• 1281 posts
    November 16, 2017 5:56 AM PST

ManthaStonestrike said:

hmm.. what if there is a provision to ID your particular corpse and drag it out of the pile?  Unsure what the mechanic would be thats being implemented, but yeah.. raid wipes would be a mess.

It looks like, based on the videos, that there is a "light" coming from your corpse that only you can see.  So in a pile of corpses, that would be the quickest way to identify yours.  With that being said, I have no preference one way or another with respect to a skeleton or an equipped corpse.

• 142 posts
    November 16, 2017 6:05 AM PST

I asked this in another thread about the skeleton corpses:   What will represent a dead gnome?  They have no skeletons.

Thats why I think the skele corpse is just a placeholder.

• 2138 posts
    November 16, 2017 7:41 AM PST

Skeletons dont bother me. After all everyone will be looting everything off their corpses as soon as they are  rezzed...right? no other reason not to.

So the skeleton will not linger long and not crowd the screen. If skeleton images are left to show the obvious carnage that took place as a warning to oher players, skeletons without names, that would be kind of cool.

• 422 posts
    November 16, 2017 9:13 AM PST

Doesn't bug me at all. I would hope they add in commands to corpse drag like we had in EQ. This would solve the issue of "which one in the pile is mine". Just drag your corpse to the side and loot.

• 1019 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:22 AM PST

I completely agree with @OP.  And as someone else mentioned, it's great seeing someone with rare armor lying there dead.  Ha, lot of good it did you.  Hehe.

But honestly, yes, this would be, and eyesore and immerson breaking.  We die, we die with our gear being shown.

• 763 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:40 AM PST

hmmm if we assume the skeleton is a placeholder ....
    ... then what would be nice:

1. [Upon death]       Dead character + Unlooted Gear shown

2. [after a bit]         'Zombie' skin textured character + Unlooted Gear shown

3. [after an age]      (racially scaled) 'Skeletal' character + Unlooted Gear shown

That should cover it all.

Evoras, thinks dead gnomies should look like soot smudges ...

This post was edited by Evoras at November 16, 2017 11:59 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:46 AM PST

Zorkon said:

Ok, this whole Corpse as a Skeleton thing. Am I the only one that doesn't like it and would prefer to see a clothed (un-looted) or naked (looted) body there instead? With this Skeletal Corpse they all look alike, if there's a wipe and they're all in a pile, it's going to be near imposable to find yours. Nope! Not feeling the all warm and fuzzy on this one people!

I've been thinking this for some time, and have been ignoring it. "never mind Zork, it's not that big of a deal", "it will be fine Zork ignore it" But I got to the annoucement of the November Newsletter and that first Screen Capture and it's right there in your face.... I'm pretty sure Kilisn did that intentionally to Rogue Taunt me into posting this!

Ok done ranting, now back to read the newsletter..

I would think that each corpse would have an identifying name attached to it?   

• 3016 posts
    November 16, 2017 11:48 AM PST

DragonFist said:

More than likely, the skeleton is just a placeholder model.  But I do prefer having one's own corpse showing one's gear and having it removed as you loot each piece.  I wouldn't mind, however, if after a certain period, it became a race appropriate skeleton, indicating that time left before it expires is becoming short. 

I think you're probably right,  at this stage we'll still see placeholder objects.   Personally not going to get excited or upset about what I am seeing at this point and time.  Lots of time for things to be changed,  specially when testing starts.

Cana