Forums » Pantheon Lore

Community involvement idea

• 4 posts
    November 13, 2017 12:10 PM PST

Hi everyone,

As I was wandering about looking at different snippets of lore and fleshed out timelines. An idea occurred to me that may or may not be too ambitious, or just plain silly. Without further ado:

The lore in an mmo is incredibly ambitious if it's to be done right. For a game like Pantheon, it's essential. I still remember lore being one of the main things that pulled me into EQ back in the day and away from Ultima Online. Just the way they talked about to Gods and their varied stories, it reminded me so much of Greek Mythology. This is all of the higher level stuff though, but there's just so much more writing that goes on.

Quests - The narrative of a quest can make it more interesting than just "I need you to go kill these things and bring me their ears." 

A well-crafted quest can make the difference in doing it solely for the exp (and skipping all the dialogue) or doing it because it's interesting. I've always thought it would be fun to write some of these, the background, the dialogue, perhaps even a twist! 

Wouldn't it be fun, if it wouldn't take away from development time, to have a contest for pledgers to submit a quest based on some guidelines? With the ultimate prize perhaps being that quest appearing in-game? 

TL;DR - Contest to write a short in-game quest with VR specified terms - Winner has the quest added in the game (just the text).

• 235 posts
    November 16, 2017 5:38 PM PST

Heya Captain, 

I like your idea!  But...These forums are older than most games plus there is a lot to go through and this sort of thing has been brought up in the past.  Im not going to source this because, frankly, I dont want to go looking for it.

1. There are copyright nuances that apply here, and getting legal involved to transfer ownership of non proprietary materials is never simple nor is it easy to explain to investors (why is your fanbase creating your content? Do you lack creators/creativity?)

2. Not unrelated is a very real fears of creative influence.  Does the lorekeeper/CCO keep to their vision, or did they plagiarize someone else subconsciously?  

3. If you want to help write quests, you should provide an application and portfolio to visionaryrealms.com/company/career

Now that thats out of the way....

We all know it would be an honor for something we created as individuals to appear in a game that will still be running in 40 years! And I would enter such a contest =D.  There is a flaw with setting guidelines though, because the guidelines themselves would have to reveal more lore than VR is willing to share and then they would have to explain what they meant by such and such a thing, and Kilsin would have to scoop all the beans back into the pot before the beans got cold, then there would be wikis about missing beans, and MMORPG would make fun of the unrevealing of  beans... it could be a dreadful scene. 

That being said, Brad said in an off air interview with VoT founder Yarnilla that he wants player created content to, someday, play a part in Pantheon's legacy.  So feel free to write and bank quests, and when you are ready, share them with the community! They are a fantastically supportive bunch, and we all share in the pride and miracle of fan creations!  

TLDR - idea falters under VR's unofficially official stance toward fan created content. HOWEVER-Create. Share. Improve. This community loves to experience the Miracle of Inspired Creationism with each other! 

• 2585 posts
    November 16, 2017 6:34 PM PST

I agree with Larr. Not to mention the fact that helping the dev team design a quest/dungeon/raid is already a part of some pledge tiers. And the devs have said there will still be a lot of restrictions to ensure that the lore and overall feel of the world is kept intact. Opening this up to more people would compromise the integrity of the status of those pledges. And would not really save the devs that much time because they'd still have to moderate the ideas to make sure they fit with the overall vision. Not only that, but those pledge benefits have intentionally been placed very exclusively high because, in part, as they say, "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth."

• 235 posts
    November 16, 2017 7:07 PM PST
    Oh yeah the pledge levels. I forgot about those. Definitely #4 as Kilsin and Sierra have mentioned this specifically.