Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Recovery of an MMO Junkie

• 37 posts
    November 12, 2017 11:39 AM PST

I would just like to recommend the anime "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" ( or Net-juu no Susume), even if you don't particularly like anime. It is so funny and has made me laugh out loud, cry and yearn for the old days. I searched high and low to see if anyone else had posted about it, so forgive me if I missed that one, unfindable post. 

I watch it on Crunchyroll, so don't know if it's anywhere else. It's a new Fall show, so there've been 6 episodes out of 10 so far shown in the US.

If you watch it, hope you enjoy it and post what you liked best! I just love it so much!

Ari

• 334 posts
    November 12, 2017 2:17 PM PST

I started with stuff like robotech. and ever intrigued since, but no time, heh.
    Like the sci/fi book thread, nice sugestion =)

I got MMO cured by needing renovation work and work at work taking up all my time.
    As I got a bit back, filling it with Pantheon sounded like the right thing to do, lol (relapse?)

• 563 posts
    November 12, 2017 4:06 PM PST

I've been watching Net-juu no Susume aswell, very funny and cute :D I didnt know it was on crunchyroll though I've been watching them from a scan group :P

I love when Morioka freaked out when she bumped into her old colleague cause shes all shabby and unkempt xD Also thought it was funny to find out who the guild master was hehe :D

This post was edited by Rachael at November 12, 2017 4:08 PM PST
    • 1315 posts
    November 13, 2017 5:20 AM PST

Ill third that Net-juu no Susume is very charming and hits home a bit for me as well.  I have never been able to get used to playing a female character in an MMO as I tend to project too much of myself into my RP and look and feel.  I don't see anything wrong with it, it has always just felt like having the shoe on the wrong foot for me.

• 9 posts
    November 13, 2017 6:10 AM PST

ariesel said:

I would just like to recommend the anime "Recovery of an MMO Junkie" ( or Net-juu no Susume), even if you don't particularly like anime. It is so funny and has made me laugh out loud, cry and yearn for the old days. I searched high and low to see if anyone else had posted about it, so forgive me if I missed that one, unfindable post. 

I watch it on Crunchyroll, so don't know if it's anywhere else. It's a new Fall show, so there've been 6 episodes out of 10 so far shown in the US.

If you watch it, hope you enjoy it and post what you liked best! I just love it so much!

Ari

all over that one - as well as food wars, black clover and ancient magus' bride.

• 37 posts
    November 13, 2017 7:50 AM PST

Rydan said:

As I got a bit back, filling it with Pantheon sounded like the right thing to do, lol (relapse?)

Lol! Yup!

I love Morioka too, Rachael, and I love her new hairstyle!

Trasak said:

Ill third that Net-juu no Susume is very charming and hits home a bit for me as well.  I have never been able to get used to playing a female character in an MMO as I tend to project too much of myself into my RP and look and feel.  I don't see anything wrong with it, it has always just felt like having the shoe on the wrong foot for me.

I played a male character once and it was a dwarf bard, so I just got all har-de-har with him. But I'd forget and react to players all girly-like sometimes, so I'm sure some people caught on. I stick to females now :p

I love Ancient Magus' Bride too, Akherat! Waiting 'til Food Wars is done so I can watch it all at once. I watched the first one of the Fall and was kinda annoyed at the different art, but oh well. Still a great concept. :)

• 98 posts
    November 13, 2017 9:32 AM PST

Already sounds better than Sword Art Online (skip that one...skip it with FIRE), so I'll check it out. I watched Dad of Light recently (about a son's attempts to bond with his dad through FFXIV to find out why he suddenly retired) and that was quite sweet. Was also based on a true story.

Also, I play male characters as much as female characters. Since I don't go ^_^ anymore (thanks, teen years), people just think I'm a guy. Of course, even if I'm on a female character, other players call me sir. I don't correct them unless it's in an RP sense, ex: My female iksar monk will always yell "I'm a LADY lizard!!" when someone mistakes her for male. (She also threatens to eat most players.)

• 1315 posts
    November 13, 2017 10:35 AM PST

sorn said:

Also, I play male characters as much as female characters. Since I don't go ^_^ anymore (thanks, teen years), people just think I'm a guy. Of course, even if I'm on a female character, other players call me sir. I don't correct them unless it's in an RP sense, ex: My female iksar monk will always yell "I'm a LADY lizard!!" when someone mistakes her for male. (She also threatens to eat most players.)

I had a theory about female Iksar, at least until the new models.  That either the player didnt realize they had selected the female model or they prefer playing female characters as there is no eye candy that usually encourages many guys to play female avatars.  Ignoring gender identity vs birth gender, or rather embarrassing it, I would guess that more players who intentionally picked to play female iksar identify as women.  Just a hunch and doesn't really carry any weight but it feels like a logical extrapolation.

I do remember a rather hilarious Vox open raid on Karana back in the day that I spent most of the down time flirting/chasing a female iksar using mostly just emotes.  My memory is a bit vague but the other player started playing along after a bit after figuring out that I was a bored Monk just goofing off.  I think the entire raid thought we were crazy by the end RPing non mammal courtship. Karana was a huge server at the time and I don't think I ever ran into her again.

• 98 posts
    November 13, 2017 1:43 PM PST

That's hilarious! Actually, while some don't realize they've picked a female iksar until later, most do deliberately because they came with pretty cool facial markings while the males were more blah.

Edit: I'm personally a fan of the classic style iksars. Not every race has to be sexually dimorphic! And the face paints were cool.

This post was edited by sorn at November 13, 2017 1:44 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    November 18, 2017 10:49 AM PST

Not a fan of anime so I tend to miss things like this.  :)  As far as playing male and female characters of any race,  I've done both over the years.   I prefer female characters. :)  I just can't get into roleplaying a male I guess.  lol

Cana

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 18, 2017 10:51 AM PST
    • 1785 posts
    November 18, 2017 2:49 PM PST

Every time I see a thread like this I say to myself "dude, you just need to sign up for Crunchy Roll".

I defiinitely want to watch this one!

As for male/female - I'm one of those wierd people who builds character appearances based on RP persona.  So, I tend to go back and forth on gender.  Nephele (my forum namesake) has historically been a female character, and is usually my quiet-but-iron-willed character.  I usually have a number of characters, both male and female, and I go back and forth on which one gets to be the main.

• 334 posts
    November 19, 2017 3:22 PM PST