Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Etiquette

• 32 posts
    November 17, 2017 8:51 AM PST

I'd have to add my vote feeling negatively towards global channels.  They certainly have utility, but I don't think the benefits outweight the risks and abuses that come along with them.  Global chat may help those with few friends or on a desolate Realm feel like there's other people out there, so I do see the draw for people to want it present in games.  I just wish there was a way to do so without giving the small minority of abusers or people with extreme views a platform to broadcast to a very large and often unwilling / uninterested audience.  I feel a similar parallel to modern news and the way it's broadcast.

I also feel like from a gameplay immersion standpoint, it's makes a lot more sense to have a huge amount of bustle and conversation in a city, with relative calm and quiet in a remote area with few people.  This falls along the idea Aradune posted about recently, regarding the sociological draw towards large cities for the advantages vs the rural areas in between.  That was regarding Realm rulesets, but seems like it has an application here as well.  It represents a much more organic way to deal with the issue than requiring people to mute multiple channels or stay on /ignore police duty.  I don't think the concept is too onerous of a loss to be thrown in the realistic-but-annoying-to-the-point-of-avoidance category.

As far as other gaming etiquette goes, the idea of not banning someone but transferring the character to the prison realm is an intriguing idea, that you could do so much with.  There's ways to include it in the game lore:  Have a Realm wide event in a major city to broadcast the Banishment, a-la public execution style, with less blood and gore.  You could also include some sort of parole or clemency epic task / quest to be able to transfer that character back rather than quit / delete them.  Would acknowledge consequences for overly bad behavior, but also allow for people to grow and learn from mistakes.  Realizing however, from a practical standpoint it's a tremendous amount of work on VR's side to essentially help someone that's a total jerk maintain a presence in the game instead of just canning them all together, which I suspect to be the ultimate way of dealing with it.

I do look forward to having a core group of people in an online game again that I both know and trust, with a background of a community that self polices itself to a great degree.  It's been early Vanilla WoW since I've met someone online that ultimately lead to becoming IRL friends, and then EQ before that.  It seems like the highest compliment of a game's ability to foster community.

• 57 posts
    November 17, 2017 4:02 PM PST

I use to hate when you would be in a group and 10 minutes later someone would be like sorry got to go. Ok, if you knew in 10 minutes you had to leave, then why did you even join the group. I have more then once tried to find a replacment asking in channel, group or guild and not having luck finding a replacement and 7 hours later still in group before I have found a sutiable replacement. Sometimes your location was a majopr determinate but play times was far worse. Yes I personally will not committ to a group unless I can spend at least 4 hours which includes travel times to be fair to the other people in the group so I'll do alot of things that require solo play otherwise. But many times I start in a group and 18 hours later, I'm like ok guys thanks for the fun, last member of the original group leaving, good luck with your group and may the loot shine in your favor.