Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Etiquette

• 75 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:04 PM PST

One thing that I miss from my Eq days is good Gaming etiquette.

Let me Explain what I mean, When you were in a group in Eq and it was nearly time for you to leave it was customary for you to Find a replacment before you Left, so that the group could keep on going without much disruption, So for example I as a cleric new that I would have to leave in 30mins so i would start looking for a replacment, Sending tells Etc to clerics and other healers asking them if they would like to replace me.  

It's that kind of Behaviour I am talking about, Now I know some people will say well you dont need to with group finder and that is true for the most part, but i have been in Sooo many group where someone has to leave and they KNEW they had to leave real soon before they even joined the group, We get to maybe one boss and they say i have to go and just up and leave, absolutly ZERO thought about the others in the group, Zero attempt to say you know what i have to leave soon, anyone have a ( x class ) friend or guildy that might want to replace me?  None of that, they just up and Leave.

I could go on with other Examples but I thought it would be nice to See what other examples of good gaming etiquette people come up with.

Since Pantheon is going to be a Group centric Social MMO What do YOU hope comes back etiquette wise with Pantheon?

• 24 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:08 PM PST

I had forgotten all about this!  I remember looking for my own replacemment when I had to leave a group.   I'm in favor of bringing this back.  I hope to find a guild of like-minded people.

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:15 PM PST

I remember that as well.  It sucked when someone did that.  When I had to leave, I always told the group and began looking for a replacement.  I also had many groups where everyone looked for a replacement in addition to me.

One of the nice things about old EQ was that if you did this too often, you developed a "repuation" for bailing on people and you'd start getting shunned by the "better" groups.

That was one thing I liked about the old EQ was that the community tended to police itself through communal shunning and shaming when it came to the "jerks".

• 24 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:17 PM PST

I remember that obnoxious players could not get groups or even a guild.  

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:22 PM PST

Porshia said:

I remember that obnoxious players could not get groups or even a guild.  

Public shunning is an effective policing mechanism.  I've heard of people having to re-roll their characters to get past it.

• 1860 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:22 PM PST

Looking for your own group replacement was a given.  Just like calling camp check.

I hope as a community we can start a precedent of camp checks during testing so that it is the norm once the game goes live.  Those who have only been playing mmos during the last decade or so will likely never have experienced much of the proper etiquette that a lot of us might take for granted.

This post was edited by philo at November 11, 2017 4:23 PM PST
    • 2130 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:27 PM PST

Part of me hopes static camps aren't the only form of effective grouping. Even so, camp checking will definitely be a thing if there are opportunities for static group gameplay.

I wouldn't say there's any particular etiquette rule I am or am not looking forward to, but having to actually communicate with people in general will be cool.

• 1785 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:31 PM PST

Tiberius, I think you really nailed when you mentioned that it's about thinking about the other people you're playing with - being considerate of them.  So letting them know ahead of time when you're going to have to log, trying to find a replacement so they can keep going, camp checks when your group zones in somewhere, and so on... to me, if Pantheon can engender that sort of behavior in its players, that's a good thing.

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:32 PM PST

philo said:

Looking for your own group replacement was a given.  Just like calling camp check.

I hope as a community we can start a precedent of camp checks during testing so that it is the norm once the game goes live.  Those who have only been playing mmos during the last decade or so will likely never have experienced much of the proper etiquette that a lot of us might take for granted.

Yeah.  Us MMO "old guys" might have to take them under our wing and mentor them; with a clue stick if necessary....hehehehe

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:35 PM PST

Liav said:

Part of me hopes static camps aren't the only form of effective grouping. Even so, camp checking will definitely be a thing if there are opportunities for static group gameplay.

I wouldn't say there's any particular etiquette rule I am or am not looking forward to, but having to actually communicate with people in general will be cool.

While I agree that I am hoping that there are dynamic camps, I don't think that we will get around a certain amount of static camps, or at least some hybrid therer-of, sort of like the revamped J-Boots was sort of a static-dynamic camp.

• 2130 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:38 PM PST

Yeah, I don't mind them. Vanguard had some really nice dungeon crawls, though, and I'd really like to see that in addition to a wealth of static camps.

One thing that dungeon crawls offer that static camps don't is that it introduces new challenges in order to progress. At the same time, you need to bury some nice rewards in the deep parts to encourage people to go there.

I think there's room for a bit of both.

• 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:51 PM PST

Liav said:

Yeah, I don't mind them. Vanguard had some really nice dungeon crawls, though, and I'd really like to see that in addition to a wealth of static camps.

One thing that dungeon crawls offer that static camps don't is that it introduces new challenges in order to progress. At the same time, you need to bury some nice rewards in the deep parts to encourage people to go there.

I think there's room for a bit of both.

One thing that I would like to see, given that boats are supposedly going to be a thing, is a  sea battle.  But not really a thing to expect.  So let's say you're taking a boat from Location A to Location B there is x% of chance that the boat will be attacked by pirates and the random people that are just riding the boat to get someplace have to defend the boat and repel the boarders.  I'm not sure how the mechanics of itwould work if there was only like 1 or 2 people on the boat.  Maybe number of riders would be a part of the percentage modifier of whether or not the boat was attacked.

• 118 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:59 PM PST

Kalok said:

One thing that I would like to see, given that boats are supposedly going to be a thing, is a  sea battle.  But not really a thing to expect.  So let's say you're taking a boat from Location A to Location B there is x% of chance that the boat will be attacked by pirates and the random people that are just riding the boat to get someplace have to defend the boat and repel the boarders.  I'm not sure how the mechanics of itwould work if there was only like 1 or 2 people on the boat.  Maybe number of riders would be a part of the percentage modifier of whether or not the boat was attacked.

Persoanlly when I am taking a 10 minute boat ride, thats when i go get food, use the bathroom etc... it would drive me crazy if i had to sit there and watch my toon take the whole boat ride or else come back potentially to a dead character.

• 75 posts
    November 11, 2017 4:59 PM PST

Another example of gaming etiquette could be the customary TRAIN TO ZONE!!!! warning others of the incomming train of doom.  It's these Seemingly little things, these acts of thinking of others that makes for a better gaming community, these things seem to be lost in the modern mmo.. 

I hope that we can bring them back with Pantheon!

• 75 posts
    November 11, 2017 5:01 PM PST

OneForAll said:

Kalok said:

Persoanlly when I am taking a 10 minute boat ride, thats when i go get food, use the bathroom etc... it would drive me crazy if i had to sit there and watch my toon take the whole boat ride or else come back potentially to a dead character.

My friends and I used to teach eachother Languages on boat rides lol...good times.

This post was edited by Tiberius at November 11, 2017 5:01 PM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 11, 2017 5:07 PM PST

Tiberius said:

OneForAll said:

Kalok said:

My friends and I used to teach eachother Languages on boat rides lol...good times.

Yeah.  We used to do the same thing pretty much any down-time that we had.

What I was thinking was something like a 10% base chance of the boat being attacked, going up every x% for every y number of people over say six, the base number for a full group, that weere on the boat, the idea being that a more crowded boat was a more attractive target for pirates, and going down every x% for every y number of people under say six.  So maybe 12 people makes a 15% chance that the boat would be attacked, but 3 makes a 5% chance that the boat would be attacked.

This post was edited by Kalok at November 11, 2017 5:08 PM PST
    • 753 posts
    November 11, 2017 7:34 PM PST

On my server there was generally an agreement that if you were at a boss first (and were ready to go first), another guild showing up would give you your shot at it without doing anything to impede your attempt.  If you failed, they would take a shot.  This wasn't universally true all the time, but enough of the time.  There were also times where some guild or other would show up and tag a mob before they were fully set to prevent other guilds from getting first tag.

• 1281 posts
    November 12, 2017 7:20 AM PST

Wandidar said:

On my server there was generally an agreement that if you were at a boss first (and were ready to go first), another guild showing up would give you your shot at it without doing anything to impede your attempt.  If you failed, they would take a shot.  This wasn't universally true all the time, but enough of the time.  There were also times where some guild or other would show up and tag a mob before they were fully set to prevent other guilds from getting first tag.

I think that's the way it was on most servers in EQ.  It was similar on mine.

• 1785 posts
    November 12, 2017 7:55 AM PST

Kalok said:

Wandidar said:

I think that's the way it was on most servers in EQ.  It was similar on mine.

Same here.

• 2419 posts
    November 12, 2017 8:20 AM PST

I just want Reputation to once again be of critical concern to not only the individual player but their guild as a whole. Tarnish one and you tarnish the other.  Ruin them and the game will quickly become a very lonely place.  Whatever informal rules of etiquette or official rules of conduct are created in support of this are irrelivant to me. 

Reputation should be difficult to fix and impossible to escape. Players will need to remember, though, that for all of these ideas present above to work you need to follow them even when faced with someone flagrantly ignoring them.  You must always take the high ground even if that means you lose out on whatever it is you were doing or the rules become meaningless.

• 1281 posts
    November 12, 2017 8:27 AM PST

Vandraad said:

I just want Reputation to once again be of critical concern to not only the individual player but their guild as a whole. Tarnish one and you tarnish the other.  Ruin them and the game will quickly become a very lonely place.  Whatever informal rules of etiquette or official rules of conduct are created in support of this are irrelivant to me. 

Reputation should be difficult to fix and impossible to escape. Players will need to remember, though, that for all of these ideas present above to work you need to follow them even when faced with someone flagrantly ignoring them.  You must always take the high ground even if that means you lose out on whatever it is you were doing or the rules become meaningless.

I agree.  I keep a list of players that I won't group or trade with and why.

• 75 posts
    November 12, 2017 10:52 AM PST

Kalok said:

Vandraad said:

Agreed, there USED to be a very long time ago an actual blacklist website where you could go, select your server and look at all the blacklisted players and the reasons, you could also submit a player, i am only guessing here, but i would imagine the site mods wouldnt add someone just based on one persons submission, I would imagine that they would have to reach a certain number of submisions for someone to added to the black list.

A site like this  could be handy for Pantheon, but whoever ran the site would have to be VERY careful that people or guilds didnt abuse it.

This post was edited by Tiberius at November 12, 2017 11:03 AM PST
    • 1281 posts
    November 12, 2017 10:57 AM PST

Tiberius said:

Kalok said:

Vandraad said:

Agreed, there USED to be a very long time ago an actual blacklist website where you could go, select your server and look at all the blacklisted players and the reasons, you could also submit a player, i am only guessing here, but i would imagine the site mods wouldnt add someone just based on one persons submission, im would imagine that they would have to reach a certain number of submisions for someone to added to the black list.

A site like this  could be handy for Pantheon, but whoever ran the site would have to be VERY careful that people or guilds didnt abuse it.

Yeah.  That's why I keep my own blacklist in a OneNote or text file.  It's entirely possible that one individual and you don't gel.  In a case like that you don't necessarily want to ruin their reputation for everyone else, but you don't want to "do business" with them.

• 399 posts
    November 12, 2017 11:14 AM PST

In the beginning there was a page on sony's EQ website which listed all name changes and server transfers. Reputation is something that should stick to the player.

To make it even better (or worse for the offender), if there's a way by clicking on a player's personal info to see which are his or her alts, that would be useful for many reasons.  So forget about being anonymous.  We know who you are, you had better protect your reputation.

The only way to then disassociate yourself from a character with a bad rep is to remove/delete it from your account or to create a new account.

I know there'll be many for whom seeing all characters is not an option cause they might want to play anonymously, and/or do not be bothered to do some crafting, or tanking or healing with their main when playing an alt, but that could/should also be part of the etiquette.  Don't bother an alt to do something on their main....

Finally, as there should be a "friend" list, there should be an in game "blacklist" with the option to write a comment.

• 1281 posts
    November 12, 2017 11:19 AM PST

Durp said:

In the beginning there was a page on sony's EQ website which listed all name changes and server transfers. Reputation is something that should stick to the player.

To make it even better (or worse for the offender), if there's a way by clicking on a player's personal info to see which are his or her alts, that would be useful for many reasons.  So forget about being anonymous.  We know who you are, you had better protect your reputation.

The only way to then disassociate yourself from a character with a bad rep is to remove/delete it from your account or to create a new account.

I know there'll be many for whom seeing all characters is not an option cause they might want to play anonymously, and/or do not be bothered to do some crafting, or tanking or healing with their main when playing an alt, but that could/should also be part of the etiquette.  Don't bother an alt to do something on their main....

Finally, as there should be a "friend" list, there should be an in game "blacklist" with the option to write a comment.

I think having to delete and re-create an account is a bit extreme, at least at first.  Accounts are tied to billing and other things.  I think that should be reserved for the worst offenders.  For the ones who have "made a mistake" I think that having to re-roll a character and use an alt as their main should be the "first level" of punishment.

I am all for, however, a scale of "punishment" that wqoulds including someone having to completely re-do their account if they get a bad enough reputation.  But honestly, if it gets to this point, they have other, bigger, issues that they should probably address within themselves.