Forums » Secret Class

Dragoon

• 33 posts
    November 8, 2017 12:13 PM PST

A mounted combat warrior with high top end speeds but limited more difficult to control turning and slower starting speeds. Higher damage when at top speeds so a lot of running in and turning around to run through again. Able to do combat dismounted with certain abilities OR the ability to have different mounts who do different things for you. A horse would be the best for speed and thus those high damage top notch hits. A ram gets a high damage one hit before you have to dismount and it is stunned for a short while. A mule has no combat value but can be LOADED down with a ridiculous amount of stuff and still move. A Dire Wolf would be slower when you ride it but help you fight incase you have to fight in a cave. You could be proficient with spears, lances, 1 handed swords, and short bows to shoot with while you are turning around from your last charge making you a cool ranged/melee combo fighter.

• 7 posts
    November 8, 2017 3:08 PM PST

No offence.  But no thanks.  I'm not even sure I want to see mounts in the game let alone something ridden in combat.  From all the videos I've seen thus far, the combat system doesn't seem to lend itself well to this type of combat.  Maybe if there was larger scale combat it would be cool.  But not here.  Seems unnecessary. 

• 33 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:40 AM PST

Aaawww come on it is at least unique and different from every other class. Too many classes get too alike and as far as pure damage dealers go there aren't very many in the game right now. I've always wanted a ranged/melee combo in a game and a charging mechanic would do the trick. Melee is strongest on charges and while your mount is turning around you are firing arrow-based attacks to fill in the gaps of no damage. This would favor them in the open world over a dungeon specializing them for outdoor combat but they could still do ok dismounted with a weaker animal at their side.

I agree mounts are bad for games but as long as you do them correctly they wouldn't be so bad. Just implement a fatigue mechanic. Allow them to be at that top speed for only so long till their fatigue runs out at which point they have to slow way down. This way in open world you could actually make their travel speed only slightly faster overall on a long distance run, say 20%. This would be the only class with a mount too and give them a unique variety of skills no other class has. For pulling you could do a lasso runby dragging an enemy for a short distance to peel enemies. Favor skilled players by allowing them to get more damage out of charging a target at the right stride. Mounted melee abilities pulling out your sword for close an personal fights. Different ranged based attacks that can be done while moving at the same time.

To me too many classes are just a bunch of identical classes with slight variations. Something unique like this really makes an expansion class feel new and different. Besides, it's the only D&D class that's never really been done in a pc game before.

This post was edited by zendrel at November 9, 2017 9:43 AM PST
    • 80 posts
    November 9, 2017 8:49 AM PST

I'm sure it could be fun in the right game, I just don't think Pantheon will be that game.

• 7 posts
    November 10, 2017 7:38 PM PST

I get the excitement for something different. It's just a mechanical thing. Charging from horseback sounds great but it just doesn't lend itself well to the type of combat you see in standard MMOs. Especially a party based MMO.

The reason I dislike mounts is that I dislike anything that shrinks the game world. Since it is probably not desirable for most people to play a game with realistic distances it is unlikely they will ever build one. Thus game worlds are quite small as it is. Even as large as Skyrim is, it is still just a miniature representation of a world. One of the reasons I enjoyed Everquest so much is because of how big it felt when you had to run somewhere. Sure, teleportation was available. But, you had to seek it out every time and wasn't always easily facilitated. Where a horse is something that is always with you making travel a trivial affair. I don't want to be able to rush through a continent in a few minutes. I want to have to endure the journey. I want to have a destination but have the possibility of my plans being interrupted by unexpected adventure. Even if that means I have to run naked for 45 minutes to get back to my corpse. I actually enjoy that.

• 33 posts
    November 11, 2017 8:56 AM PST

I get what you're saying but even the devs have said that they want new classes to be ones that break the mold of the norm.

I 100% agree about mounts too. That's why you just make the speed increase only as significant as any other speed increase spell. Like I said a fatigue bar so the mount can hit top speeds for a short while but then decrease it's speed to a walk resulting in either no increase or only a minor increase in distance speeds.