Forums » Fan Fiction

Bonne Chance

• 24 posts
    November 3, 2017 7:00 PM PDT

He laid there, bloody and limp.  Like a puppet with broken strings.  Clothes torn.  Still, he smiled when he saw her,  "Forgive me if I don't get up".

His eyes were kind, behind the pain.  She saw warmth there, and maybe honesty.  Maybe.  She was trained to notice these things but accuracy comes with time.  She valued truth and justice above all; had even taken it as her name, Jas Justice.  Kneeling down, she began to tend to him, as was her calling.  Laying her hands upon him, she whispered the words that had been handed down throughout the ages.  Words nearly as old as time itself.  His wounds began to knit, then close.  

"What luck to chance upon a healer.  You have my deepest thanks".

Looking away from him for a moment, Jas scanned the area.  Safe for the moment.  It was a pretty place; hilly and grassy, with colorful wildflowers that she did not know the name of.  He had dragged himself to the base of a large hill, to lay in the tall grasses.  Probably as far as he could make it.

"What got you?"  she asked.

"Gnolls.  They have an encampment down there in the valley.  Full of burrows that go quite deep."

"Did they find you, or did you find them?"  she asked curiously.

"It was my own misadventure," he replied.  "I'm a grifter by trade, though perhaps a nobler version, if you will.   The gnolls have no honor, and are theives themselves.  I know they have some trinkets down there, or some gems, they always do.  They can't resist anything shiney, and they ferret things away in hidey holes here and there in the caves.  I'm good at what I do; I'm stealthy.  But there were just too many of them."  

He kept his beard short and tidy, and he stroked it as he spoke, "What of you?  What brings you so far off the path?"

"I have no real home".  Her voice was a lullaby, which echoed a song of lonely nights. "I go where I'm needed, and I help where I can.  The Divine Hand guides me, and I follow".

"A Paladin, then!" He exclaimed. "What a pair we make!"

She matched his mischievious grin with her own.  "We should move from here.  Can you stand?"

He nodded, rising tentatively to his feet.

"We'll move further up into the hills.  I'll stay with you for a bit.  My magic is strong but not perfect."

His steps were halting, so she moved close.  Soon they were arm in arm as he leaned gently on her.  They chatted companionably as they went.  The afternoon gracefully began its descent into evening.  They found a flat spot with a clear view and made camp.  A small fire was lit; coffee beans were brewed.  They shared a steaming mug she had pulled from her backpack.  They picked up their rapport from where they had left off.

"Do you ever question your faith in the Divine Hand?" he tested her.

"The Divine is a benevolant guide.  It has no desire to deceive me".

"Do you see this with your eyes or with your mind?" he pressed further.

"The Divine provides me with a mind to think and senses to see".  She smiled into his twinkling eyes.  He was having a bit of fun with her, mocking her faith.

She returned the favor in kind.  "Do you ever question your motives as a rogue?"

"I believe that I am a kind man, and a fair man.  I would never take from those who had little, or those who were in need.  Morals are for those who can richly afford them.  The rest of us must find our own way.  I feel no prick of conscience in stealing from thieves".

On it went, such as this, until night fell.  And the fire turned to embers.  They barely took notice as they drew closer for warmth, and continued to revel in their likenesses, and found great delight in their differences.  Wrapped in each others arms, their eyes reluctantly drooped and then closed, and they drifted off to that place where we each go alone.

Some time later, the sun stung his eyes.  And then he opened them.  And she was gone.

• 155 posts
    November 3, 2017 8:25 PM PDT

Hug Porshia

• 155 posts
    November 3, 2017 8:29 PM PDT

Dark and Light always meet

• 220 posts
    November 3, 2017 8:30 PM PDT

Well met, porshia! your scene is quite romantic and reminds me of someone dear.  I'll have to address that later...

Was it luck or fate? Are we all just a single D20 from our destiny?

• 2886 posts
    November 4, 2017 8:05 AM PDT

Glad to see new community members jumping into fan fic!

• 213 posts
    November 4, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

You have a wonderful writing style and the characters are rich! Please keep writing! Wonderful work!

• 624 posts
    November 5, 2017 9:34 AM PST

Terrific tale of a chance encounter between opposites seeking comfort.  Thank you for sharing, it was a marvelous read.  Bravo!

This post was edited by Kumu at November 5, 2017 9:34 AM PST
    • 3237 posts
    November 6, 2017 9:52 AM PST

Well done Porshia, thank you for sharing!

• 53 posts
    November 6, 2017 1:31 PM PST

Very nice random encounter scene, which I hope you will extend along each characters journy. Will they meet again? Were their assumptions and statements true or hiding thoughs unsaid? Well done.

• 12 posts
    April 24, 2018 4:27 AM PDT

There's nothing quite so perfect as sharing life by the campfire.  Thanks for sharing this scene Porshia.  Well done!

This post was edited by herztam at April 24, 2018 4:27 AM PDT