Forums » Developer's Journal

Where did you get your development team?

• 2 posts
    November 2, 2017 2:00 AM PDT

I can't speak for other people, but I'm pretty sure everyone is here because they want to relive the magic of Everquest.

I'm curious how you went about finding your development team.  How many people did you have with you when you decided to start Pantheon and where did you find the others?

Did all or most of your team play Everquest prior to working with you?

• 29 posts
    November 2, 2017 4:27 AM PDT

I am sure not everyone is here to relive the magic of Everquest. I'm here to relive Vanguard   :)

• 474 posts
    November 2, 2017 4:55 AM PDT

wickywoo said:

I am sure not everyone is here to relive the magic of Everquest. I'm here to relive Vanguard   :)

The spirit of the games are very much the same, if not the mechanics.

From past articles and streams and such it seems some of the dev team are old schoolers that worked with Brad on Everquest and Vanguard back in days past.

• 123 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:48 AM PDT

Actually I am here because I am tired of casual games.  I am tired of gaming companies taking out all forms of having to actually go out and meet people.  I am tired of the big red button in the square room where all I have to do is push the red button and I have my purple gear.  I am tired of there not being consequences for your actions in a game, and I am tired of there not being consequences for trolls in games.

I am here in part because of the people who are developing this game.  Not to make Brad sound old but he really is the father of modern MMO's.  (my opinion)  I am here because his dev team his content creators and his crew that manage these forums daily.  These people care and you can see it in their dedication to us.  I have secretly followed this community ever since its inception, and have only recently (in May) pledged. 

In the gaming world you only get so many chances to be apart of something very big.  That first impression only happens once and everybody in these forums has or knows what that feeling is for them.  For me that feeling is knowing that for a few hours a day or night I can forget about real life and be of the doomstriker brigade or something something.  I can be that healer who stands on a bridge and heals a group of adventurers just because I can.  I can travel the lands for a coveted +4 STR shawl and slay thousands of orcs along the way!

The bottom line is because of all the real world crap going on these days I need this game and I need this commuity so I can forget just for a few hours a day that real life can suck sometimes for all of us, but knowing that there are people who are like me and want to have friends and want to share adventures like we are in the LOTR movies ( I am Frodo!)  At the end of the day I am here because I truly think this dev teams gets it...they get that we are the forgotten ones.

Evorus

• 3046 posts
    November 3, 2017 8:06 AM PDT

I know that Pantheon has often been called the spiritual successor of EQ and Vanguard, but I personally am very happy to see that the development team had experience playing games like EQOA/FFXI/EQ2/WoW, etc.  It sounds like VR is made up of a very well-rounded bunch, with plenty of experience in the genre (both programming and playing which is very important) and I hope that Terminus ends up being a great melting pot that consists of the best of the best from the genre as a whole rather than just a couple games.

• 1272 posts
    November 3, 2017 11:30 PM PDT

I think that every game, even the ones we love to hate on, had things that they did well.  Aspects that appealed to us.  Systems that were fun, interesting, and well-implemented.  So, from a mechanical perspective - I think it would be a mistake to ONLY look at EQ and Vanguard when building Pantheon, and I'm glad that the team has such a wide breadth of experience, both as developers and players.

What I think sets Pantheon apart from other current and in-development MMOs, however, is the vision that the team is working towards - to quote Brad, making a world, not a game.  I think that aspect is really critical - and that's not an EQ thing, or a Vanguard thing, at all.  It doesn't belong to any one game.  Instead, it's a methodology, an approach.  It's putting the experience first, before the gameplay.  It's making design choices that might slow players down or confuse them, on purpose, in order to promote social interaction and immersion.  It's something that most other teams and studios aren't necessarily doing, at least not to the same extent - because the vast majority of them are focused on game first, world second.

To me, the "promise" of Pantheon is being able to show that you can make an amazing virtual world that players will inhabit for years, without sacrificing things like challenge and depth in favor of accessability and twitchy or gimmicky gameplay.  I think the team wants Pantheon to be successful not just for itself, but also because it if is, just maybe it will help revitalize the industry a bit.  Or at least if nothing else, they'll all be able to look at it and say "we made an awesome MMO".

I dunno, just my thoughts :)

• 3046 posts
    November 4, 2017 5:57 AM PDT

Well said Neph!  I appreciate you sharing your perspective, as always.  The way you can look at something and then describe your take on it has been consistently refreshing.  Looking forward to the new forums and really hoping there is a reputation modifier.

• 26 posts
    January 3, 2019 7:44 PM PST
    After watching 5 minutes of Cohh's stream on Youtube, I sensed that Pantheon is the real successor to EQ. I beta tested and played Vanguard, which was supposed to be the next EQ, and would have been If those greedy rats didn't force Brad to release the game 6 months too soon.

I just hope people understand what Brad's vision will be. What most ppl should do is take a look and research EQ videos from the 90's and early 2000's. I'm talking the good and bad from 1 hour corpse runs, paying a bard or necro to locate or summon your corpse after spending forever trying to find it, lol, wiping 5x at Kael, to running for 2 hours to get from Freeport to the Karana's, to how groups were formed, camp checks, trains, camping rare spawns like Lodi for 20 straight hours, etc lol.
    The game was so hardcore and was NOT easy!
    I fully expect Pantheon to be a hardcore MMORPG where one needs to bring their A game everyday. It will be a game where you may need to try a few classes out to get the feel for the one that's just right for you. Then play and master that class. Not only must you master the class, you have to be precise in the role you play. Chanters must mezz adds, dps must not break mezz, tanks must taunt to gain aggeo, healers must understand their healing rotation, dps must control their dps, etc. Just like it was in EQ.
    I played a Druid, so it was fairly easy for me. Buff, sow, throw some dots, dd's, rinse and repeat. Evac if things got out of hand.

It will not be a casual fluffy carebear ez mode solo gamers dream. I hope these gamers understand this. It will be a challenge, and this is why I'm excited.
    • 40 posts
    January 25, 2019 9:16 PM PST

Rallithon said: camping rare spawns like Lodi for 20 straight hour

Ohh i forgotten about Lodi, thanks for reminding me, fond memories 

• 1426 posts
    January 28, 2019 8:53 AM PST

wickywoo said:

So long as reliving Vanguard does not involve all the bugs, crappy launch, terrible network code, the near constant lag, the lack of itemization in lots of areas, broken mechanics, overpowered classes..need I go on?