Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

If you truly want immersion...

• 793 posts
    November 3, 2017 9:01 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

While we're at it we may as well introduce a wide-spread disease epidemic.  Would make sense right?  So many hard fought battles where bodily fluids are getting mixed ... if you spill a wretched zombie's guts on an open wound, one would think it would lead to some horrible, uncurable disease.  At the same time, I think rabid dysentery would be a really bad look so maybe we should turn our cheek the other way when it comes to that level of immersion, lol

This could create whole new environments, when you leave behind too many corpses too fast, you fill the environment with a stench and possible airborne diseases from the rotting corpses.

This then begs for the need for a "Burn Corpse" skill, which in turn adds elements of what your burning could cause excessive smoke, or if burning a troll corpse, could cause explosive damage when methane pockets in their guts explode. :)

//You have taken 132 damage from a Troll-Gas Explosion

This post was edited by Fulton at November 3, 2017 9:03 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    November 3, 2017 12:53 PM PDT

Fulton said:

oneADseven said:

While we're at it we may as well introduce a wide-spread disease epidemic [...]. ... if you spill a wretched zombie's guts on an open wound, one would think it would lead to some horrible, uncurable disease. [...] 

This could create whole new environments, when you leave behind too many corpses too fast, you fill the environment with a stench and possible airborne diseases from the rotting corpses.

This then begs for the need for a "Burn Corpse" skill, which in turn adds elements of what your burning could cause excessive smoke, or if burning a troll corpse, could cause explosive damage when methane pockets in their guts explode. :)

//You have taken 132 damage from a Troll-Gas Explosion

Only the ones meeting the DPS check or corpse timer would get infected and would have to seek healing, but other people grouping in the open dungeon would not be affected. This could allow the infected grop to seek out other groups players for help in cures,, even lower level players with small cure disease ability. " I can only remove 6 disease points at a time!" " I dont care- Keep casting untill its gone!" that way lower level buffs/spells can be usefull to higher levels.

This post was edited by Manouk at November 3, 2017 1:02 PM PDT
    • 384 posts
    November 3, 2017 1:15 PM PDT

Everyone ready?

Hang on! Gotta use Avendyr's Seat, if you know what I mean. 

• 53 posts
    November 3, 2017 2:28 PM PDT

Zuljan said:

I lost it when I read "bliss buff" lolllll

/bliss

;)

• 334 posts
    November 3, 2017 3:26 PM PDT

Actually.. such excessive idea's do have a purpose.. not only to show the futility of it, but also the possible implications readers spew. And those DO have a base for further exploration.
    See how 1ad7 creates a pandemic, Fulton creates a new view for a skill ("Burn Corpse" skill) and Manouk taking off on it.

Adding my 2p: food shortage by overpopulation in the next thread already spawned.. how about a refugee spill from a certain NPC race into a player zone.. anyone?

This post was edited by Rydan at November 3, 2017 3:28 PM PDT
    • 2130 posts
    November 3, 2017 4:24 PM PDT

An undead raid encounter where you have to burn the corpses of adds or something to prevent a disease AoE could be very cool indeed. Wouldn't want to see it on a large scale, though. Honestly, even an undead group dungeon where bodies have to be dealt with this way would be cool. You'd better have some really cool **** dropping there though for anyone to bother with something so troublesome.

Similarly, pouring water on fire elementals to prevent a fire damage AoE. Could be fun.

It's a very Dark Souls-esque kind of mechanic, honestly.

There's a reason people play games, and a significant portion of it is for the departure from reality, and also the ability to brutally murder things (and eachother) without getting thrown in prison. To a certain extent, games need to be games, although it's pretty clear that a lot of people already grasp that. An increase in realism or "immersion" (if by immersion you mean a closer adherence to how reality "works") is not necessarilly an increase in quality in a game.

This post was edited by Liav at November 3, 2017 4:25 PM PDT
    • 384 posts
    November 3, 2017 4:50 PM PDT

Liav said:

There's a reason people play games, and a significant portion of it is for the departure from reality, and also the ability to brutally murder things (and eachother) without getting thrown in prison. To a certain extent, games need to be games, although it's pretty clear that a lot of people already grasp that. An increase in realism or "immersion" (if by immersion you mean a closer adherence to how reality "works") is not necessarilly an increase in quality in a game.

Couple things:

1) Definitely agree that "games need to be games" - they need to be fun and allow us to do things we can't do in real life. And I certainly enjoy games because they're a departure from reality but (as I mentioned in another post) the amount of realism each of us like in a game varies from person to person. I personally prefer games with a bit more realism and that *does* increase the *quality* of the game - for me. (not so far as to require bathroom breaks for my character lol) I'm betting you prefer a little less than I do - nothing wrong with that! That's one reason there will be  different rulesets. But we're all drawn to and enjoy the basic tenets of Pantheon (and other McQuaid games) that's why we're here  =) 

and 2) If prison is the only thing keeping you from "brutally murdering things (and each other)"  - I'm REALLY happy you found Pantheon and video games in general  lol

• 2130 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:01 PM PDT

I somehow doubt there's going to be a ruleset based on adding more realism to the game.

• 384 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:08 PM PDT

Liav said:

I somehow doubt there's going to be a ruleset based on adding more realism to the game.

hahah no there won't likely be a ruleset that's called the realism ruleset but I'm betting there *will* be different rulesets that will feel a little more true to the lore and therefore more "real." Something like this is what I'm hoping for: https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/2vhlbn/did_anyone_play_on_everquests_firiona_vie/

• 3237 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:18 PM PDT

Maybe there is 1 hardcore server that includes:

1)  Coin-weight (No auto-denomination upgrade)

2)  No Appearance Gear

3)  Food/Drink/Sleep/Bowel-Movement Survival Mode

4)  No Auction Houses (or public bathrooms)

5)  Poopsocking

6)  No maps, /tells, Guild UI (to preserve immersion)

7)  First-person view only

8)  No auto-follow

This post was edited by oneADseven at November 3, 2017 5:34 PM PDT
    • 264 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:20 PM PDT

Not going to be funny with Gnomes tripping over Oger "Ceegars"

• 53 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:53 PM PDT

Pee Bottle
    (Common)
    10 Uses

Use this bottle to relieve yourself from the need to "go" while travelling without the need to detour from your path.

Grants /bliss buff for 60 seconds.

*Please dispose of properly at journey's end and not discarded on the side of the path*

WT: 2

This post was edited by Hateborn at November 3, 2017 5:53 PM PDT
    • 53 posts
    November 3, 2017 5:56 PM PDT

Aradune said:

Honestly... don't... know... how to... respond.... :)

Brad,

I want to see an item in the game. Maybe call it "Hateborn's Pee Bottle".

See the discription above.

Thank you. ;)

• 668 posts
    November 3, 2017 6:00 PM PDT

Will there be Doctors in this game?  Can just see the lines waiting for their colonoscopy appointment 

• 1095 posts
    January 3, 2018 7:42 PM PST

Aradune said:

Honestly... don't... know... how to... respond.... :)

I'm bored so here's some sudo code

Works like this.

A time is set for a bowel movement

int bowelTime = 8

int lastBowelTime = 0;

This can be affected by food and other stuff

if (food.type == 1) {//do nothing use default}; 

if (food.type == 2) {bowelTime = (bowelTime + 2}; 

if (food.type == 3) {bowelTime = (bowelTime - 2}; 

//increment lastBowelTime accordently

if (bowelTime < lastBowelTime)

{  //means they not been to the outhouse

sudo loop on a given time {        

increaseWeight(.01);

increaseDiseaseDamage(.01);

}

}

void doBowelMovement() { removeBowelEffects(); lastBowelTime = 0; ]

This post was edited by Aich at January 3, 2018 7:46 PM PST
    • 98 posts
    January 3, 2018 11:49 PM PST

If we fail to use the bathroom in time, can our fantasy Sim get a frantic emote over their heads while they press their knees together in the traditional potty dance?

In the event that this doesn't make it in game, can we get a traditional potty dance emote?!

• 793 posts
    January 4, 2018 4:32 AM PST

sorn said:

If we fail to use the bathroom in time, can our fantasy Sim get a frantic emote over their heads while they press their knees together in the traditional potty dance?

In the event that this doesn't make it in game, can we get a traditional potty dance emote?!

The whole Pepto-Bismol Commercial ""Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea" dance would be awesome!!!!! 

• 22 posts
    January 4, 2018 4:40 AM PST

Food and water management for certain benefits , stamina, hp, regen, sure. Going to take a piss in a elf world does not mean immersive gameplay. If you want immersive gameplay weather should affect armor, weapons, damage, spells, movement. same with atmosphere should affect trees, water, any atmospheric properties.... that’s a immersive feature. Just my .02

• 3852 posts
    January 4, 2018 6:24 AM PST

While I hate to sound critical, this sounds like a piss-poor idea.

Over the years I've played many games where food and/or arrow/bolt management were critical. Let us not add ....this.

• 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 2:49 PM PST

Hateborn said:

....make it so that the longer your character is online, he or she will need to go to the bathroom. Give us a creeping debuff that gets worse and worse the longer you hold it/ignore it. Once you "relieve" yourself, then the debuff drops and you get a short term "bliss" buff that will make you regen/etc faster.

I can see it now, "Hold on guys, I have to take a piss"...brb. "Wait, did he mean in real life..or his character?" Not only would it be kinda funny...but it would be ultra-realsitic. 

Or you could just provide a diaper..and problem solved? :P

• 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 3:01 PM PST

Pyye said:

Will there be Doctors in this game?  Can just see the lines waiting for their colonoscopy appointment 

There were Doctors in Star Wars Galaxies,  we entertainer types used to line up for their long lasting buffs, so that we could heal the mind wounds and give other good buffs to the fighters that came to our cantinas.

• 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 3:02 PM PST

Skycaster said:

Not going to be funny with Gnomes tripping over Oger "Ceegars"

I would hate to see the landscape covered in Ogre logs.  :) Who is gonna clean THAT up. :P

• 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 3:05 PM PST

Hateborn said:

....make it so that the longer your character is online, he or she will need to go to the bathroom. Give us a creeping debuff that gets worse and worse the longer you hold it/ignore it. Once you "relieve" yourself, then the debuff drops and you get a short term "bliss" buff that will make you regen/etc faster.

I can see it now, "Hold on guys, I have to take a piss"...brb. "Wait, did he mean in real life..or his character?" Not only would it be kinda funny...but it would be ultra-realsitic. 

Most just indicate "bio-break"  brb.  Anything beyond that is "tmi"  too much information and doesn't have anything to do with why I am gaming. :P

• 3016 posts
    January 8, 2018 3:08 PM PST

Menubrea said:

So not only will I be able to fight epic dragons, travel magical lands and cast fireballs from the tip of my fingers, but I'll also be able to watch as my character does his "business" behind some bush, as well? Realism does not equal immersion.

Immersion is elements in the game that adds as sense of scale and purpose into the world. Like allowing every location and monsters (at least humanoid) to have a history and reason. "What is this building? Why is it here? Why did the wererats establish a colony in this particular place? How did pirates manage to get such a strong footing in this area, despite heavy presence of the local City Guard?" These might be some of the type of questions you'd ask yourself as you visit different locations, or fight different factions or monsters, if the game has answers to those questions, instead of just leaving you with the sense that it was randomly put there for you to have something to fight or for you to look at, it adds immersion.

Indeed..and we can go further down the OP's path and have characters "making babies"  ...no thank you.    Suspension of disbelief is fairies, dragons, and being able to fly or walk up in the air levitated.   Bodily functions..I think we can leave unimplemented.  lol

• 172 posts
    January 11, 2018 4:50 PM PST

Will there be sock vendors too?