Forums » The Ogres

Starting area.

    • 2485 posts
    October 15, 2017 11:56 AM PDT

    Any lore masters able to confirm how close the ogres starting city is to the gnomes? Ogres have no DPS classes available ... gnomes have no tanks or healers. It's yin and yang and I am hoping they will be somewhat close to each other to help fill the needs of grouping early on.


    This post was edited by oneADseven at October 15, 2017 11:57 AM PDT
    • 720 posts
    October 15, 2017 1:34 PM PDT

    From the Ogre Race page

    The Ogres

    With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

    and on the Atlas of Terminus Broken Maw is clearly labled on Reignfall. The Gnomes are from WildsEnd on the continent of Kingsreach, looks to be an Ocean seperating them.

     

     

    The plot thickens!

    • 1290 posts
    October 15, 2017 1:38 PM PDT

    Zorkon said:

    From the Ogre Race page

    The Ogres

    With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

    and on the Atlas of Terminus Broken Maw is clearly labled on Reignfall. The Gnomes are from WildsEnd on the continent of Kingsreach, looks to be an Ocean seperating them.

     

     

    The plot thickens!

     

    Gnomes start in Wild's End?  So Gnomes and Halflings start together?

    • 720 posts
    October 15, 2017 2:18 PM PDT

    kelenin said:

    Zorkon said:

    From the Ogre Race page

    The Ogres

    With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

    and on the Atlas of Terminus Broken Maw is clearly labled on Reignfall. The Gnomes are from WildsEnd on the continent of Kingsreach, looks to be an Ocean seperating them.

     

     

    The plot thickens!

     

    Gnomes start in Wild's End?  So Gnomes and Halflings start together?

    Well I totally missed that dident I... no I have no idea where gnomes start. My Bad

    • 3721 posts
    October 16, 2017 5:32 AM PDT

    Zorkon said:

    kelenin said:

    Zorkon said:

    From the Ogre Race page

    The Ogres

    With their hulking presence and a culture that values the brutal skills of battle above refinements or leisure, the Ogres of Broken Maw are perilously dismissed as primitive by the uninformed. Yet careful study would reveal a race that relishes the dance of warfare tactics and in whom resides an unmatched respect for valor and courage, whether friend or foe. When calm, Ogres are cautious and considerate before action. Unseat their emotions and their incomparable size wreaks unpredictable ends.

    and on the Atlas of Terminus Broken Maw is clearly labled on Reignfall. The Gnomes are from WildsEnd on the continent of Kingsreach, looks to be an Ocean seperating them.

     

     

    The plot thickens!

     

    Gnomes start in Wild's End?  So Gnomes and Halflings start together?

    Well I totally missed that dident I... no I have no idea where gnomes start. My Bad

    Gnomes start in Skyhold, which is a floating city actually above Terminus, which is why it isn't on the main map. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, we haven't been told how to access it yet, so it could be any distance from Broken Maw. Skyhold is technically described as a "city ship," so in my opinion, it's possible that the city will actually move around the world. It may not have a static location.


    This post was edited by Bazgrim at October 16, 2017 5:39 AM PDT
    • 1070 posts
    October 19, 2017 5:03 PM PDT

    The further away the Gnomes are, the more of a delicacy they become!  Even the most exotic foods lose their uniqueness when eaten every day.  From the looks of it, we'll have access to plenty of fish (Dark Myr) and crocodile (Skar) at the beginning.  As we adventure we will expand our culinary horizons as we expand our waist lines.

    • 12 posts
    October 23, 2017 1:46 PM PDT

    Ah but now the question is - do the Broken Maw Ogres actually start in Broken Maw or in the Burning Sanctum? According to the time line, the ogres were pushed into the Burning Sanctum during the last big series of wars they had. So we may -NOT- start in Broken Maw...

     

    "

    • 481~483 IH: War breaks out in earnest between the major nations and the Ravaging Lord; Haethus-Krevgejl forces the Archai and Dwarves into the Frozen Sanctum on Whitethaw; the combined Ogre and Dark Myr forces score a total victory over the initial assault of the Revenant; the Ravaging Lord unleashes "ancient monsters of the deep" to combat the Dark Myr, while the Ogres are pincered by the Wos Che in the North and the Revenant in the South; the Ogres are forced into the Burning Sanctum at Ka'Kelhar"

    This post was edited by Loocie at October 23, 2017 1:49 PM PDT
    • 1290 posts
    October 23, 2017 2:38 PM PDT

    Looking at the map, there is a crown at what appears to be starting locations for various races.  Although all aren't listed, there is one at the Broken Maw, which would lead one to believe that they start there.  Those crowns could mean something else, though, so it's entirely possible they could be anywhere.

    • 1668 posts
    October 23, 2017 4:30 PM PDT

    I remember from earlier discussion, they intend to change the map from the currently published one. Locations will most likely change.

    • 295 posts
    May 22, 2018 1:24 PM PDT

    Great!  We have another moving zone in game...  "Skyhold? I think it is above Khaga Sands today.  Yesterday it was over Wild's End."  Hey that at least gives the Ogres a reason to be punting the Gnomes.  They are trying to help them reach their starting city...

    • 902 posts
    May 23, 2018 4:12 PM PDT

    I would love if the city actually moved around the world.  That would be amazing. 

    • 312 posts
    June 17, 2018 1:16 AM PDT
    A moving Skyhold would be interesting - could make it quite slow with a random path to discourage players from using it to traverse the world.
    • 295 posts
    June 20, 2018 2:38 PM PDT

    Hmmm methinks that people missed the reference to burning woods....

    • 177 posts
    July 13, 2018 3:52 PM PDT

    oneADseven said:

    Any lore masters able to confirm how close the ogres starting city is to the gnomes? Ogres have no DPS classes available ... gnomes have no tanks or healers. It's yin and yang and I am hoping they will be somewhat close to each other to help fill the needs of grouping early on.

     

    That's a good point. I am wondering how VR will manage that. Back in EQ2, after the initial island that you could solo (trial to learn the basic of the game), everybody would start either at Qeynos or Freeport (later on, more cities were added). Each race had their owns neigborooods in those cities and people could start grouping right away. I do not know how far cities would be from each other. It should be pretty far. But then, how to get low level people to group and build a decent group.  Ogre needs DPS, Gnome need tanks... 

    • 98 posts
    July 16, 2018 8:44 PM PDT

    Usually you don't need fleshed out groups at low levels. Generally a group of low level players can handle the stuff in the first zone or two. And by then, if your zones are large enough, you can have travelled far enough to run into a "common zone" between your starting city/zone and another race's starter zone. 


    This post was edited by LucasBlackstone at July 16, 2018 8:47 PM PDT
    • 177 posts
    July 17, 2018 11:45 AM PDT

    LucasBlackstone said:

    Usually you don't need fleshed out groups at low levels. Generally a group of low level players can handle the stuff in the first zone or two. And by then, if your zones are large enough, you can have travelled far enough to run into a "common zone" between your starting city/zone and another race's starter zone. 

     

    That's right. I am curious how it will feel since Terminus is supposed to be really big and some starting cities are very far from each other!