Forums » The Gnomes

Gnomes and healing

• 12 posts
    October 13, 2017 9:29 AM PDT
    Is there a particular reason why Gnomes do not have a healer class? Seems like each race should have some variety of healer, be it a devout cleric, nature druid, spirit shaman, or something. If that race never heals itself over it's history, it should have died off to other race wars, disease, etc. There would need to be some specific reason tied to their culture wherein they do not believe in healing or something no?
    Maybe an energy channeler of magic forces that speeds up the body's own healing? Some kind of healer, I dunno. :^)
    • 464 posts
    October 13, 2017 10:06 AM PDT

You assume that a "healer" is the equivilant of a medical doctor.

The Gnomes have NO INTEREST in ANYTHING other than the arcane. Divine power generally comes from the god you worship, and requires STUDY of the divine. Gnomes from the lore seem to be more interested in studying the arcane power of the univrse itself rather than any one god. Their lore says they would not waste their time.

Instead they would look to the arcane and other sciences for healing, like alchemy or chemestry much like our world does. The exclusion of a "healer" role adventure class fits perfectly with the lore VR is establishing for them.

• 12 posts
    October 13, 2017 10:33 AM PDT
    So they should have an alchemist class you are saying?

Seems bizarre that a full party of gnomes regardless of class mix cannot heal even a stubbed toe. So if you start in a Gnome town, you are all disadvantaged.

I really was trying to dodge the whole magic not existing IRL debate. If that is the angle VR is going for, then they hopefully will give them improved healing, a bonus to potion creation, or something. Though I was hoping for an answer from VR themselves on this.

You may have missed my mention about non-device healers - even Ogres get healing through spirit shamans. Also I did mention magic and there is no reason why gnomes couldn't heal through magic or science instead of divine worship, nature, or spirits. A gnome healer class could have visuals of potions being lobbed at friends or a combat medic IV drip. I was aiming more at the challenges that gnomes will have as a mechanic than trying to strictly adhere to a backstory that isn't even in use in pre-alpha yet.

So hopefully they will read this and contemplate. If you disagree, that's cool, you are welcome to. You can argue against it and they may decide similar to your thoughts on it.

Then I would just point out to other players that their starting gnome has no chance of grouping with a healer at low levels and since this is being made to promote grouping over all else, players should think about that before creating a gnome.
    • 464 posts
    October 13, 2017 10:52 AM PDT

No, not every facet of society is a "class". Just because a healer class is missing doesn't mean they would have died out from sickness or some such.

Gnomes have doctors and other medical sciences, they don't waste time on divine study is what I am saying.

• 902 posts
    October 14, 2017 5:58 PM PDT

I have to agree, it is a little odd that a race would not have a healer mixed in with the rest.

• 720 posts
    October 14, 2017 7:36 PM PDT

The VR team is not a bunch of noobs, they have played mmo's a time or two. I'm pretty confident they didn't just overlook a healing class for Gnomes. They have a plan.

AND I'm really curious to hear what it is. 

Gnomes do not have a DNA body do they? Would conventional healing spells even work on them? 

"Peerless in understanding and wielding of the arcane, the Gnomes are beings without true physical form"

"As the bristling energy in the Resivore continued to sift through the Skyhold, a dire conclusion was reached by the Gnomes: they must abandon their mortal flesh or perish."

Could they be healed by an Arcane Bolt (that would damage anyone else)? IF the answer was something that far out, then Gnomes could count 4 possible healing classes Wizard, Enchanter, Summoner and maybe even Necro.

Hey... they were out of the box enough to shave Hobbits feet!

This post was edited by Zorkon at October 14, 2017 7:37 PM PDT
    • 12 posts
    October 16, 2017 4:34 AM PDT
    Ok now I'm even more curious to see where they take Gnomes and healing. To see if there will be an alternate healing method or if standard heals may work differently or not at all on them. Could make it challenging and that may attract quite a few of us to try them.
    • 603 posts
    October 16, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

I agree, this idea is interesting. But I do belive atm. they get healed like everyone else. At least that is what it looks like in the streams. I may be wrong though :)

-sorte.

• 981 posts
    October 30, 2017 12:04 PM PDT

We are relating gnomes to warforged with the healing bit?  Haven't we seen gnomes in streams that were healed normally already?

• 15 posts
    November 23, 2017 8:40 AM PST

Add the Everquest 2 Channeler class and allow Gnomes to be one.

• 88 posts
    December 31, 2017 12:32 PM PST
    Yeah, so, as of now I am probably going to main a Gnome.
    But I did notice they had no healing class also.
    The only thing I see so far, lore info wise is that they will be pretty close to the Dwarves starting area.
    Which leads me to again "think" the Gnomes will be aligned with the Dwarves faction wise and within a short trek to their respective homes.
    Again, it's all guessing and speculation pretty much
    They could just as easily pop a healer in there to make up for it and add it into the lore or something.
    Or maybe a Sky escalator that ferries gnomes and dwarves around because the gnome city floats directly above dwarf town.
    "shrugs"
    I love thinking of all the possibilities. This game has me all kinds of happy!
    • 1952 posts
    January 2, 2018 11:20 AM PST

Zorkon said:

The VR team is not a bunch of noobs, they have played mmo's a time or two. I'm pretty confident they didn't just overlook a healing class for Gnomes. They have a plan.

Gnomes do not have a DNA body do they? Would conventional healing spells even work on them? 

Gnomes can't be healers because they aren't religious or at the very least they aren't pious. Divine powers (healing/blessings/etc) are drawn from/granted by the gods, so the Gnomes can't just learn how to cast/perform such spells the same as they could tap into arcane energies. 

• 522 posts
    January 6, 2018 8:42 AM PST

Iksar said:

Zorkon said:

Gnomes can't be healers because they aren't religious or at the very least they aren't pious. Divine powers (healing/blessings/etc) are drawn from/granted by the gods, so the Gnomes can't just learn how to cast/perform such spells the same as they could tap into arcane energies. 

I would like to point out that druids get their heals from naturey stuff which isn't necessarily gods. Shamans get theirs from totems and spirits, which also isn't neccessarily gods. You can definately come up with healers that don't have to do with strict divine worship.

I agree with previous assertions that giving gnomes an alchemist or other science related class for support/heals might be cool, but on a balance perspective I feel we have plenty of healers roles for now. It may already prove difficult for VR to establish clear role differences between the healers they already have.

Gnomes are gonna need the other races to get tanks anyways; they may as well also need to rely on others for healers.

___

I'll have to disagree with gnomes being healed in a different way. It does feel logical, but actual logic is pretty hard to apply to gnomes.

Example: The assumption that a being made of cloth and metal would be worse at taking a sword attack than a being made of skin/muscle/bone (gnomes dont get tank classes); Can your skin/muscle/bone take a sword better than cloth and metal? Could a cloth and metal being who carries and swings weapons (think gnome rogues, or wizards with particularly large, heavy staves) as well as muscled races, not be expected to wear heavy armor proficiently? Why on earth can't gnomes just acquire heavy armor casings in the same way they have cloth covering in the concept art over their cores?

My point is, applying too much logic to gnomes will just end up getting overly complicated. Let Vr get around to their actual game=)

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at January 6, 2018 9:21 AM PST
    • 128 posts
    January 26, 2018 1:53 AM PST

Necromancers can heal, so if they get them in for launch just give them the ability at a lower level to have minor heals through sacrifice.  Share life, cannibalize, sacrifice pet etc.. or just make a bloodmage class and be done with it...simple

• 171 posts
    February 18, 2018 4:16 PM PST

vigilantee13 said:

Necromancers can heal, so if they get them in for launch just give them the ability at a lower level to have minor heals through sacrifice.  Share life, cannibalize, sacrifice pet etc.. or just make a bloodmage class and be done with it...simple

But...do Gnomes have "blood"? XD

To this day, I don't know why no game/lore has made arcane healers.  I remember thinking that WOW could have done that to give Mages a healing spec - basically, use barriers like Mana Shield (like a Discipline Priest), and then have some arcane heals.  Arcane is kind of like the "geometry magic".  It's based on control of threads of magic, as opposed to things like fire or frost (base elements), so it should theoretically be possible to stitch together muscle and bone using threads of arcane energy.

I mean, in gameplay terms, it would be just like any other healer, but it's an intereting motif that I'm genuinely surprised no one has ever seemed to come up with.

• 3046 posts
    May 7, 2018 4:23 PM PDT

Definition of arcane:  

ar·cane
    ärˈkān/
    adjective

1. understood by few; mysterious or secret.
      "modern math and its arcane notation"
      synonyms: mysterious, secret;

Pantheon Gnomes :  

GNOMES

Enigmatic and isolated within the floating keep of the Skyhold, the Gnomes are masters of the arcane, and the peculiar.   - end quote    So they are arcane and peculiar.  :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at May 7, 2018 4:25 PM PDT
    • 76 posts
    July 15, 2018 7:48 PM PDT

To me it seems rediculous that gnomes have no healer.

Do they just go ask every race for help  once a member of their community is injured in a battle?

From a lore standpoint it makes no since.

I hopethe devs are planning  a Gnome  arcane mage healer  or future expansion healer.

Looks like those players who play gnomes are going to have a rough time in starting zones no tank or healer  hopefully a Summoner can at least summon a creature at a starting level to  tank or heal  for the group. 

This post was edited by Kiera at July 15, 2018 7:57 PM PDT
    • 3046 posts
    July 17, 2018 7:12 PM PDT

I will be playing a gnome wizard...she can't heal,  therefore she'll be GROUPING with others that can. :)   This game is about being social..grouping, depending on others, and them depending on you.   Not powerlevelling solo to level cap.  :P

Cana

• 3721 posts
    July 18, 2018 3:39 AM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

I will be playing a gnome wizard...she can't heal,  therefore she'll be GROUPING with others that can. :)   This game is about being social..grouping, depending on others, and them depending on you.   Not powerlevelling solo to level cap.  :P

Cana

I agree, but as I posted in another thread, I also think there's a case to be made for Wizards having an arcane healing/repair spell that specifically acts as a heal for Gnomes. Think about it - Gnomes are made of arcane energy, not flesh. It stands to reason that arcane casters would be the ones that know how to heal them, not divines. DDO has a similar system with the Warforged race, which were made of living wood and metal rather than flesh. Divine healing technically worked on them, but at a significant penalty. Wizards, Sorcerers, and Artificers usually ended up being the ones that healed that race. Obviously this was sometimes inconvenient, so it was balanced by the Warforged having innate increased AC, damage reduction, and immunity to sleep, exhaustion, etc. But it really gave the race a unique identity. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this with the Gnomes in Pantheon.

• 3046 posts
    July 20, 2018 7:48 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Cana

I agree, but as I posted in another thread, I also think there's a case to be made for Wizards having an arcane healing/repair spell that specifically acts as a heal for Gnomes. Think about it - Gnomes are made of arcane energy, not flesh. It stands to reason that arcane casters would be the ones that know how to heal them, not divines. DDO has a similar system with the Warforged race, which were made of living wood and metal rather than flesh. Divine healing technically worked on them, but at a significant penalty. Wizards, Sorcerers, and Artificers usually ended up being the ones that healed that race. Obviously this was sometimes inconvenient, so it was balanced by the Warforged having innate increased AC, damage reduction, and immunity to sleep, exhaustion, etc. But it really gave the race a unique identity. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this with the Gnomes in Pantheon.

Well we don't know what VR has intended in that direction,  or if they are going to implement what was done in other games such as DDO (played that too for a time. Never played a gnome however.)  We'll have to see.  Perhaps some feedback that gains VR's attention.  I get the impression they aren't reading the racial section,  don't remember seeing any commentary ..from VR.

Cana

• 3721 posts
    July 23, 2018 3:27 AM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Cana

Well we don't know what VR has intended in that direction,  or if they are going to implement what was done in other games such as DDO (played that too for a time. Never played a gnome however.)  We'll have to see.  Perhaps some feedback that gains VR's attention.  I get the impression they aren't reading the racial section,  don't remember seeing any commentary ..from VR.

Cana

Yeah I'm totally just theorizing. But with the current lack of info, I think it makes enough sense to be possible :)

• 1952 posts
    July 23, 2018 10:36 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

I agree, but as I posted in another thread, I also think there's a case to be made for Wizards having an arcane healing/repair spell that specifically acts as a heal for Gnomes. Think about it - Gnomes are made of arcane energy, not flesh.

Just to be a stickler, Gnomes aren't made of arcane energy: "With the very power that was afflicting our bodies, we were able to repossess our souls into the Resivore cloth called Maq'esh." They are cloth creatures as opposed to flesh. 

• 3046 posts
    September 28, 2018 12:09 PM PDT

Iksar said:

Bazgrim said:

I agree, but as I posted in another thread, I also think there's a case to be made for Wizards having an arcane healing/repair spell that specifically acts as a heal for Gnomes. Think about it - Gnomes are made of arcane energy, not flesh.

Just to be a stickler, Gnomes aren't made of arcane energy: "With the very power that was afflicting our bodies, we were able to repossess our souls into the Resivore cloth called Maq'esh." They are cloth creatures as opposed to flesh. 

Cloth creatures as opposed to flesh...hmmm I have images in my head as a gnome wizard, igniting myself and running around in circles..yelling call the Fire Department!!  (hehehe)

Cana