Forums » The Shaman

Shaman's will be a very popular class

• 39 posts
    October 9, 2017 8:39 PM PDT
    Based on streams they have slows, run speed buffs, and a Mana Regen spell (although they said this may or may not last throughout beta). In the years I played EQ, clerics seem to be the least popular class and I am hoping this changes in pantheon. Anyone going to play a shaman main or is too early to tell?
    • 1692 posts
    October 9, 2017 8:55 PM PDT

Clerics just need to be more fun to play. EQ Clerics are boring as ****. Hopefully the general fight mechanics of Pantheon will give all classes a more active playstyle.

• 85 posts
    October 9, 2017 9:40 PM PDT

I love the Shaman class.  My main will be a shaman, though the race is still undecided. I love the utility of the spells they have had in the past. The ability to heal, buff, debuff, dot has always been challenging.  I understand the Pantheon Shaman will be different but I'm pretty sure I'll love it. I like the idea of chain or leather armor.  The few views I've seen of armor so far look great.  I'm hoping for a pet, other than a wolf, and with better control than EQ.   i like the look of the Archai, but they don't seem to wear chest armor, so maybe the Elf or the Ogre might be more fun.  I've always had a lot of alts, but I play my main about 50% of the time.  

• 116 posts
    October 9, 2017 10:40 PM PDT

Clerics were super popular in old EQ for that 96% rez that they had, and Complete Heal - at least up until I left the game anyway.  Can't say what happened after that :)

I think the goal for VR should be that every class has a unique gameplay and that none of them feels more limited than others.  Within a role (tank/healer/dps/cc) the goal should be for all classes to be distinct but interchangeable.  That might mean departing from the old EQ formula for shaman - or, it might mean ensuring that other classes can do some of the same things, in different ways or different combinations.

I remember that Vanguard more or less got it right in terms of class distinction.  Every class excelled in their own unique way.  There was no "best" class overall, instead it was situational.  I'd love to see the same sort of thing evolve in Pantheon.

• 2377 posts
    October 10, 2017 7:00 AM PDT

It's far too early to tell which classes will be most popular. We've only seen a limited amount of abilities and even those abilities will change a lot through testing. As you mentioned, Joppa said the mana regen spell is not set in stone. But that really goes for any ability. The numbers could (and probably will) be changed dramatically or they could just be removed completely. You just have to trust that they are honestly seeking balance for each class. This has been the goal from the start, but it is a constant process and a lot of it will come from our feedback in testing. Regardless, I can tell you that I will be playing a Cleric.

• 215 posts
    October 10, 2017 9:09 AM PDT

I think it imposibble to tell what spells/abilities any class will have, until after beta starts. From what i read the twitches were designed to show somr things, not all . After all there is a class in the twitch that will not be available to anyone but Aradune. His hybrid class was developed for the twitch and I suspect so were a lot of the spell/abilities. Unless the rogues all get that awesome ability to hit for 10,000,000 hitpoints like Kilsin in the last twitch, it tells me they were designed for show. And what a show it was. I am still banking on the druid being a litttle more helpfull in groups and not one class to be more needed than all the others.A well balanced system will make Pantheon the most awesome game ever, and that includes EQ1 which stands head and shoulders over any other game before and since.

• 399 posts
    October 10, 2017 10:55 AM PDT

Liav said:

Clerics just need to be more fun to play. EQ Clerics are boring as ****. Hopefully the general fight mechanics of Pantheon will give all classes a more active playstyle.

I completely disagree. I loved playing a Cleric in EQ. I tried one in VG but became quickly tired of it. Too many mana regeneration abilities required combat. I would rather sit and focus on my healing, stun, and buff tactics than be worried about attacking enemies and losing focus of my role.

I hope Pantheon has a traditional healer role that does not require combat.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at October 10, 2017 10:56 AM PDT
    • 1692 posts
    October 10, 2017 11:25 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

I completely disagree. I loved playing a Cleric in EQ. I tried one in VG but became quickly tired of it. Too many mana regeneration abilities required combat. I would rather sit and focus on my healing, stun, and buff tactics than be worried about attacking enemies and losing focus of my role.

I hope Pantheon has a traditional healer role that does not require combat.

I don't enjoy AFK gameplay. You're not describing "traditional healer" mechanics, you're describing "EQ Cleric" mechanics. EQ is not representative of anything but EQ. EQ's gameplay in general across all classes is ridiculously passive.

EQ is the only game (video game or not) that has relegated the Cleric class to such a simple playstyle.

This post was edited by Liav at October 10, 2017 11:27 AM PDT
    • 7173 posts
    October 10, 2017 2:53 PM PDT

Moved to the Shaman class subforum :)

• 301 posts
    October 10, 2017 3:27 PM PDT

The very first character I will create in PROTF will be a shaman. It will be my main, too. I just love the class...hope this version lives up to the EQ1 version.

• 39 posts
    October 10, 2017 6:40 PM PDT
    I really have enjoyed playing the shaman in EQ, but think i may main a cleric for once.