Forums » Fan Fiction

The Decision: Part II from Tales of Gelfzyn

• 53 posts
    September 26, 2017 7:10 PM PDT

All the shadows seems to merge into darkness, so long had I been brooding about what life would be without Mylah when a voice brought me out of my thoughts. "Ah Pup, there you are." My grandmother's tone had that hint of concern to it that told me I was behaving contrary to the harmony of nature that surrounded me. Sitting on the bench beside me she ventured, "And what causes the frown on such a young face?" "Bright stars and safe travels grandmother." I offered. She raised an eyebrow and replied, "Now, now, Gelfzyn, no need to be formal Pup, although it's nice that some young ones still know the proper greetings." Then in her most grandmotherly fashion. "Tell me why you sit here, quite as the Wellpond, when you should be with your friends in celebration of the morrows nexus."

I probably shouldn't have been so defensive. Gran was one of the few people that I could talk to about things beyond day-to-day living. "I told Mylah of my decision to become a Ranger ... and she left me." That brought a frown to Gran's face. "Now that had such a ring of discord to it that I'm surprised the trees didn't shake their limbs in disbelief." Switching to a face that commanded obedience she said "Now tell me what really happened and don't leave out any detail, no matter how small."

Under that gaze, I began to recount of my encounter with Mylah and the practiced speech. "Now that rings truer to the balance between you and Mylah." She assessed, "To talk of paths can be a difficult thing. That's the nature of paths, whether in the forest or in life. You don't always know where new ones will wander. Some times they lead to new adventures, cross other paths, or even lead back to their origin. One can never be sure until one follows it." That made some sense to me, but what she said next sent my mind into a slow spin.

"Your nature is the Why as in contrast to Mylah's What. You would ponder in that split second where Mylah would act instantly. This is the nature of the Ranger compared to the Rogue. Your paths were never going to be the exactly same, but that's not to say you could not walk both together. Learning from each other. In time, you will see the Balance between the two." That brought my head up. "Time! That was in the whisper I heard."

In the silence, The Silent Wraith can still laugh to himself. "The Kiri think they have found their home, but I will still have them all. In time, all in time."

"Ah yes, the whisper. That is the second item we need to address. But first, do you see that Mylah has not left you, but only allowed you to walk your own path for awhile?" As perked up as I was at remembering the whisper, I tried to focus on Gran's words about Mylah. She did ask me to 'keep her in my heart' and that was sort of a 'don't you ever forget about me' kinda kiss. For now, I defered to Gran's assessment and would think about it later. The whisper was screaming for attention. "Ok" I said, "I'll take to heart what you have said about Mylah. What about the whisper?"

At that, Gran's face became one of contemplation, of one drawing on sources of ancient wisdom."It is said that in the Before Times, Kiren, the Ward of Flame would attempt to guide the Kiri though indirect means. This whisper may be something like that." That sat me back with a shock. "Me? Kiren talked to ME?" At this Gran chuckled a bit. "Well, may be not Kiren himself, but by one of his attendants. But then, our family does have a weak lineage to Marthus, the First Sight, so it is possible." I sat in silence trying to come to grips with this revelation.

"So," she continued after a moment, "It may seem that you have been suggested a special path to journey along with that of a Ranger and both will require you to hone you ability to understand the nature of the world." "Any idea of where I should start this 'suggested' path?" I asked. She thought for a few seconds and offered ''Hmm, maybe the ruins could hold clues. You will have to look for that which has been overlooked by others before you." and then thought a bit more. "The Tholen of Itholis, if they still exist and if you can find their land, may be able to guide you. Seek signs of them while you are in training to be a Ranger." And she offered one more suggestion. "The Tower of the Reckless Magician is said to have a library of ancient lore. Others have sought it out. But you should wait until you have finished your training and have gathered like minded friends before venturing there."

Then she said with a smile. "but all this can wait. First, you have important duties to attend to." "I do?" tying to think of what could be more important than a task from a god. At that, Gran intoned "I bestow upon you the Spirit of the Wolf. Now go Pup and join your friends in celebration while the night is still young." I smiled and replied "You're right Gran and thank you." as I gave her a big hug and then dashed off to town.

"Bright stars and safe passage, Pup. For you will need both for your adventure." and with that the elderly Halfling transformed into a Largga Eagle and flew westward into the night.

This post was edited by gelfzin at October 1, 2017 7:32 PM PDT
    • 2886 posts
    September 26, 2017 7:17 PM PDT

Well done once again!

• 624 posts
    September 27, 2017 3:56 AM PDT

Agreed, very good read.  Thank you.

• 294 posts
    September 28, 2017 4:43 PM PDT

Another fine read Gelfzin. Thank you.

• 220 posts
    September 30, 2017 8:52 PM PDT

Quite a tale you are weaving gelfy baby! thanks for taking the time. Point of clarification is your handle Gelfzin or Gelfzyn?

• 53 posts
    October 1, 2017 7:22 PM PDT

Gelfzin is my normal handle, but after reading Halfling lore, I'll use Gelfzyn ingame. They like Y for I in most cases.