Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

users Scripts

• 28 posts
    September 18, 2017 9:30 AM PDT

I do not know if the question was already asked, so I simply put it.

Will it be possible to use your own scripts in the game in order to adapt the surface or to change others? Like at World of Wacraft?

• 1303 posts
    September 18, 2017 9:54 AM PDT

Do you mean for customizing the interface? 

• 9115 posts
    September 18, 2017 5:22 PM PDT

We won't have add-on support if that is what you mean mate, but you can reskin your UI, you just won;t have damage meters etc.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at September 18, 2017 5:23 PM PDT
    • 34 posts
    September 18, 2017 6:27 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

We won't have add-on support if that is what you mean mate, but you can reskin your UI, you just won;t have damage meters etc.

Does this mean there won't be any client-side feedback (logging etc) of damage dealt etc, or just that there won't be official support for specific addons for these types of information? I'll happily go back to real-time logparsing to get more usable stats ;)

• 220 posts
    September 18, 2017 6:30 PM PDT

I hope they hire a consultant to help lock down and identify when the client is being hooked into, or modified, from the perspective of someone designing those hacks.  I really don't want to see UI mods or macros that are not text notifications and emotes.

• 9115 posts
    September 19, 2017 12:07 AM PDT

Khabarakh said:

Kilsin said:

Does this mean there won't be any client-side feedback (logging etc) of damage dealt etc, or just that there won't be official support for specific addons for these types of information? I'll happily go back to real-time logparsing to get more usable stats ;)

There will be the ability to parse externally from the combat/chat log but yeah, we just won't support any in-game addons or allow addons that automate the process for a player (dps/aggro meters, bots, auto macros etc.) to hook into Pantheon without being flagged.

Thi is something we will also be taking feedback on during testing once everyone can get their hands on the game and experience how it plays for themselves but for now, we want to limit those things and make the client as dumb as possible.

• 201 posts
    September 19, 2017 5:49 AM PDT

No in game addons should be where it stays.  It makes the game easier to enjoy when im not worried about who's DPS im behind.

This post was edited by Rivacom at September 19, 2017 5:49 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    September 19, 2017 7:26 AM PDT

As long as the UI is fully customisable (maybe using XML or JSON or something) then I'm perfectly happy not to have any mods or addons. I just want to be able to position my UI elements absolutely precisely on the screen which you can't really do with a mouse and maybe change the colour of stuff.

I absolutely hate things like DPS meters though. It just makes people think they should spam their biggest damage dealing abilities and then they complain when they pull aggro and die or blame the healer because they couldn't play a DPS class properly and the healer couldn't keep both the tank and the DPS class alive.

• 28 posts
    September 19, 2017 10:41 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Yes, I meant that, thanks for the reply. I'll see it in the game then how you manage that.

• 34 posts
    September 20, 2017 5:19 PM PDT

Rivacom said:

No in game addons should be where it stays.  It makes the game easier to enjoy when im not worried about who's DPS im behind.

In some situations, I totally agree. It's about having fun. But some games have used what are, in essence, DPS-check type encounter mechanics for progression, and in these cases it can be very beneficial to see figures to identify either an imbalance in your class/role ratios within the group/raid, or to identify people who are just not very good at their role. It is frustrating to say the least to try to work out why your collective DPS is below what you expect without being able to find figures, while at the same time identifying that to pass an encounter, or phase of an encounter, you MUST up your DPS. Will PRF have such mechanics? I don't know yet. But if they do, DPS measurement will be beneficial for planning.

• 220 posts
    September 20, 2017 5:33 PM PDT

Khabarakh said:

Rivacom said:

In some situations, I totally agree. It's about having fun. But some games have used what are, in essence, DPS-check type encounter mechanics for progression, and in these cases it can be very beneficial to see figures to identify either an imbalance in your class/role ratios within the group/raid, or to identify people who are just not very good at their role. It is frustrating to say the least to try to work out why your collective DPS is below what you expect without being able to find figures, while at the same time identifying that to pass an encounter, or phase of an encounter, you MUST up your DPS. Will PRF have such mechanics? I don't know yet. But if they do, DPS measurement will be beneficial for planning.

Have you ever used a program like ACT for combat parsing?  As long as there is a log file, you can get all that information yourself from the log file, in mostly real-time.  And DPS checks in most games, at least playing at a competitive raiding level, were nearly always cheeseable with developed mechanics.  They were designed to be defeated either with brute force by overwhelming damage OR figuring out the trick.  Nearly all of them.  The mechanics were just never made common knowledge so the majority never learned them.  There are pure DPS checks, though, in some notable games, but those seem more like last minute attempts at making an interesting encounter that just missed that crucial deadline.  So they defaulted with a trope gatekeeper that matched stat rating with expected performance and rolled out that sweet new critter.

Complex mechanics are constantly in the shadow of hardcore Critter Appeal.

• 3016 posts
    September 20, 2017 6:06 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Thank Goodness for that...I detest the dps race and those meters...takes all the joy out of playing along side others.

Cana

• 34 posts
    September 20, 2017 7:16 PM PDT

ZennExile said:

Have you ever used a program like ACT for combat parsing?  As long as there is a log file, you can get all that information yourself from the log file, in mostly real-time. 

Absolutely, see my post earlier in the thread where I'm more than happy with that being the approach. My reply above was more in regards to the distinction that some players don't want to know, or care, statistically how they're performing - that's not the aspect of the game they enjoy, and I was simply identifying that for some, the statistics ARE a big part of the game, so having *some* way to identify and understand them is crucial, but it doesn't have to be via a UI component.

I also agree that in most cases, a DPS check seems to be a "crap we need something to make this harder and I've got 2 hours left to do it..." type approach, but there have also been a few instances where it is a more reasoned aspect - and have also seen cases where while DPS check may be the primary expected approach, that other strategies were later found viable (or in some cases, later level/stat cap increases etc made other strategies viable).

• 220 posts
    September 20, 2017 10:01 PM PDT

I raided for years chasing those server and world firsts.  But I've come to the conclusion that I want to look at the game, when I am playing the game.  Not health bars, not my inventory, not a mini map, not even my skill bars.  Especially not UI wigits and assorted convenience tools.

I just want to see the game that I am playing.  I want to watch my Abomination tear my enemies apart and attempt to eat them... like a GOOD GOOD BOY! (#NecroDetailsMatter)  And I want to see the tip of my fishing pole dip when the fish bites.

Everything else just doesn't need to be there anymore, I've sort of nailed down how all these mechanics work and can do without the fine details.

• 201 posts
    September 21, 2017 6:09 AM PDT

Khabarakh said:

Rivacom said:

If it comes down to DPS,  the external parsers will do fine.