Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

What Are The Main Foundations?

• 189 posts
    September 13, 2017 7:13 AM PDT

I mean, the community for sure starts way before the game. Look at all of us here. Creating wikis, guides, and contests. Helping each other with questions or forum navigation.

Your community starts when the forums are up and running and people are able to buy founders packs. And of course the devs replying. Kilsin does a great job and replying to almost every new forum post when absolutely necessary and even when it's not.

I believe our community will get a huge boost once the new forums are up and running and ready to be used. Not that this forum is ugly or anything, just has a few problems that cause extra problems (like the search function).

I also think our community working together is a huge thing too, but that's mostly up to us. To police each other and make sure we are being civil with each other. I mean, don't go overboard with that though. Don't need people going on a power trip over someone disagreeing with another. Disagree by all means, just don't be a jacka** about it. No name calling children!

I do really like the Guild Pledge thing. Something maybe for the alpha or beta once we start seeing more videos and newsletters and streams of the games progress. Especially once we get closer to testing it. Then you'll have GUILDS of people trying to play something together so they just go for the guild pledge and chip in together. If Pantheon goes really well and is exactly like they are describing/people are hoping it will be, then GUILDS from other games will come here hoping to try it out together. 

This post was edited by fancy at September 13, 2017 7:14 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    September 13, 2017 4:42 PM PDT

Plenty of good games out there already. The problem, I believe, is that those good games don't allow for the opportunity of community.

Throwing a bunch of people together doesn't create a community - it just creates population. In concept, two different things. Communities are grown, organically. Communities become communities not through intent or purpose, but through necessity and by just allowing it to happen.

That said, I believe the only foundation needed is to have the smallest amount of artificial restricitons as possible. Whether that means having as little "rails" as possible, or by allowing reputation to matter, or by not including "no trade" items. Anything that restricts a players ability to finagle and create an experience that they want out of a game would also, inherently, restrict the possibility of a true community from forming.

Make a great game, sure, but the game is nothing but a framework. Allow the players to fill in that framework, and you have a community. Force players within the parameters of that framework, and all you have are subscribers.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 13, 2017 7:57 PM PDT

How about a 'Kilsin is stinky' in Pantheon as opposed to Aradune?  (I've been bathing consistently, I promise!)

• 1095 posts
    September 13, 2017 8:21 PM PDT

Aradune said:

How about a 'Kilsin is stinky' in Pantheon as opposed to Aradune?  (I've been bathing consistently, I promise!)

How does this relate to the thread topic? I'm confused. Ban this guy.

This post was edited by Aich at September 13, 2017 8:21 PM PDT
    • VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 13, 2017 8:23 PM PDT

Zeem said:

Aradune said:

Lol, indeed!  Shameless jabs at Kilsin no bueno! :)

• 1095 posts
    September 14, 2017 7:07 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Zeem said:

Aradune said:

Lol, indeed!  Shameless jabs at Kilsin no bueno! :)

Its all good man lol.

• 9115 posts
    September 14, 2017 7:08 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Hahaha, you wish punk! :D

• 3016 posts
    September 14, 2017 8:22 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What, in your opinion, makes a good foundation for a gaming community? #PRF #Communitymatters

Encouragement to the community to reach out to newcomers..maybe have a specific help channel for answering newbie questions,   I've seen other games where the seasoned gamers,  hang out on a chat channel to answer questions from newcomers, all voluntary of course.     Saga of Ryzom was one of those games back in the day.    That way if you like to help,  there's the opportunity.   And perhaps those that have been helped will pass it forward,  creating that feeling of community and camaraderie. :)

• 3016 posts
    September 14, 2017 8:23 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Bahaha...nay..Kilsin is the Dream Crusher...can he be stinky too? :D    hehehe

• 2752 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:18 AM PDT

Aradune said:

I'd like to point out that Aradune's presence here the past day is exactly what I am talking about and would like to see more of. Engaging, being involved, and otherwise light communication where possible really does a lot to maintain a healthy/good community atmosphere and boost general morale.

Thank you Brad, I hope your active involvement with the community is more common going forward.

(*Not that Kilsin does a bad job by any means; Thank you Kilsin graciously putting up with us all as always)

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:32 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

Plenty of good games out there already. The problem, I believe, is that those good games don't allow for the opportunity of community.

Throwing a bunch of people together doesn't create a community - it just creates population. In concept, two different things. Communities are grown, organically. Communities become communities not through intent or purpose, but through necessity and by just allowing it to happen.

That said, I believe the only foundation needed is to have the smallest amount of artificial restricitons as possible. Whether that means having as little "rails" as possible, or by allowing reputation to matter, or by not including "no trade" items. Anything that restricts a players ability to finagle and create an experience that they want out of a game would also, inherently, restrict the possibility of a true community from forming.

Make a great game, sure, but the game is nothing but a framework. Allow the players to fill in that framework, and you have a community. Force players within the parameters of that framework, and all you have are subscribers.

I don't generally disagree.  I totally agree there's a serious dearth (look it up) of games like Pantheon right now, which is great for us (not competing in a crowded market).

As for the sandbox vs themepark I hear you but let me give you my quick thoughts (I'm pretty sure I've posted in the past in more detail on this too):

I'm all for the 'ideal' of having a total sandbox.  But I don't think we're there yet, being able to offer to the players the ability to create content, mechanics, etc.  And without that, e.g. a sandbox game without players being able to make real change and contribute real content I think a purely sandbox MMO will face some serious challenges.

That said, you guys all know we are against total themepark games too, even feeling we went too far with VG (quest hubs, etc.).

So this may be interpreted in different ways by different people (which is fine -- just post a reply/question and I'll try to clarify) but here goes:

You create a sandbox and then you put a 'themepark' in that sandbox.  That way your foundation is there both for 1. more sandboxy play to evolve before and after launch and 2. you can put other themeparks into your sandbox without bringing down a house of cards.

What I'm getting at there and have posted about in the past is our desire to, especially post-launch, offer additional advancement paths.  We're of course starting with the basics (would be foolish not to):  awesome combat/hack-n-slash combined with some pretty cool questing ideas (perception, etc.).   Bottom line:  Pantheon at launch is an awesome PvE adventuring MMO.

Some of the alternate horizontal paths will be present (I would consider harvesting/crafting to be one).  But what I'm tallking about for the future would be somewhat akin to what we tried in VG (no need to go into what happened there).   In other words, in VG you could be a level 5 adventurer, level 10 crafter, and level 8 diplomat.  

You may ask perhaps, "why aren't you launching with more than one path?" and the answer is simply that we've learned not to bite off more than we can chew.  We know if we make an awesome adventure PvE MMO we will be successful ehough to then grow the team perhaps even further and put some of our efforts (in addition to the live and expansion teams) into additional paths.  Conversely if we offer 2 or 3 paths but the core game isn't solid, doesn't perform well, doesn't have enough content, then we are in big trouble.

So I see the future (post-launch) involve additional advancement paths which would make the game more sandboxy.  And then, although this will take a bit longer, the ability for players (or a subset of players) to create content themselves.   I'm going to leave it at that though as I don't want to over-hype post-launch stuff, plus I'm pretty sure I've already posted in the past about User Generated Content.

Bottom line though:  A pure sandbox isn't really a game.  Pantheon is definitely influenced by our desire to head in the sandbox direction, but a pure sandbox is not what we're looking for.  Rather, while you shouldn't feel you're on rails, going through quest hubs, forced to follow 1-2 paths, etc, there's still Pantheon the game that sits within the sandbox foundation.  Then, by making sure we have such a foundation, we can not just vertically add content (expansions, new regions to explore, new classes and races, etc.) but also horizontally begin to offer advancement paths beyond your typical adventure focus.

• 429 posts
    September 14, 2017 10:45 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Tralyan said:

I don't generally disagree.  I totally agree there's a serious dearth (look it up) of games like Pantheon right now, which is great for us (not competing in a crowded market).

As for the sandbox vs themepark I hear you but let me give you my quick thoughts (I'm pretty sure I've posted in the past in more detail on this too):

I'm all for the 'ideal' of having a total sandbox.  But I don't think we're there yet, being able to offer to the players the ability to create content, mechanics, etc.  And without that, e.g. a sandbox game without players being able to make real change and contribute real content I think a purely sandbox MMO will face some serious challenges.

That said, you guys all know we are against total themepark games too, even feeling we went too far with VG (quest hubs, etc.).

So this may be interpreted in different ways by different people (which is fine -- just post a reply/question and I'll try to clarify) but here goes:

You create a sandbox and then you put a 'themepark' in that sandbox.  That way your foundation is there both for 1. more sandboxy play to evolve before and after launch and 2. you can put other themeparks into your sandbox without bringing down a house of cards.

What I'm getting at there and have posted about in the past is our desire to, especially post-launch, offer additional advancement paths.  We're of course starting with the basics (would be foolish not to):  awesome combat/hack-n-slash combined with some pretty cool questing ideas (perception, etc.).   Bottom line:  Pantheon at launch is an awesome PvE adventuring MMO.

Some of the alternate horizontal paths will be present (I would consider harvesting/crafting to be one).  But what I'm tallking about for the future would be somewhat akin to what we tried in VG (no need to go into what happened there).   In other words, in VG you could be a level 5 adventurer, level 10 crafter, and level 8 diplomat.  

You may ask perhaps, "why aren't you launching with more than one path?" and the answer is simply that we've learned not to bite off more than we can chew.  We know if we make an awesome adventure PvE MMO we will be successful ehough to then grow the team perhaps even further and put some of our efforts (in addition to the live and expansion teams) into additional paths.  Conversely if we offer 2 or 3 paths but the core game isn't solid, doesn't perform well, doesn't have enough content, then we are in big trouble.

So I see the future (post-launch) involve additional advancement paths which would make the game more sandboxy.  And then, although this will take a bit longer, the ability for players (or a subset of players) to create content themselves.   I'm going to leave it at that though as I don't want to over-hype post-launch stuff, plus I'm pretty sure I've already posted in the past about User Generated Content.

Bottom line though:  A pure sandbox isn't really a game.  Pantheon is definitely influenced by our desire to head in the sandbox direction, but a pure sandbox is not what we're looking for.  Rather, while you shouldn't feel you're on rails, going through quest hubs, forced to follow 1-2 paths, etc, there's still Pantheon the game that sits within the sandbox foundation.  Then, by making sure we have such a foundation, we can not just vertically add content (expansions, new regions to explore, new classes and races, etc.) but also horizontally begin to offer advancement paths beyond your typical adventure focus.

Very well Said Aradune .... 

This post was edited by Shea at September 14, 2017 10:46 AM PDT
    • 175 posts
    September 14, 2017 11:18 AM PDT

@Aradune, @Tralyan: The idea of a sandbox, to me, is more about options than lack of features. A "themepark" is generally deemed so because you can only do 1 or 2 things in any given feature. When you have a dearth of options, then there is no discussion, no variety, no opinion... there's just doing it the way the devs intended. I think you both have the idea right, and it's really finding that medium where there's enough complexity to allow flavor, but not so much that the game is forever being "developed".

Some examples:

1. Take EQ2 for instance... Packed full of a ton of features, all of which were rather shallow. There was no variety within the feature and it made me feel like I was playing a set of systems rather than in a world.
    2. Another good example is the way most games do harvesting these days. An arbitrary node that you walk up and whack. It's a feature, but has no depth and no real need for community. Expanding on it with a bunch of different types of nodes still doesn't fix the basic underlying issue.

I would love to see Pantheon add some more "horizontal paths", but if they're only ever relegated to shallow, repetative systems then they're not worth the time/effort to implement. Adding crafting/harvesting that is just as challenging/intriguing as PVE combat would go a long way to breaking the mold. Same with other "horizontal paths", such as Diplomacy from VG (another great idea that was too shallow).

This post was edited by Archaen at September 14, 2017 11:19 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    September 14, 2017 11:38 AM PDT

Aradune said:

Tralyan said:

Aradune, you sexy beast, thank you for this reply.

To be clear, I'm certainly not advocating a complete sandbox. That's definitely not something I want, and I'm confident ya'll are already going in the direction I'm hoping for either way.

When I think of a lack of artificial restrictions, I think of EQ (obvi). 

In EQ, cities and zones were laid out, quests were dropped, mobs were spawned, and dungeons were created - but nothing directed the players forcefully to those created areas. Nobody told the players to congregate at the EC tunnel (or Gfay) to trade. The community created the "newbie log" in Nek forest. Quad kiting probably wasn't something intended to work the way it did, but it arose as a community created method of soloing with a wizard. In P99, there is an entire guild, "Dial-A-Port", dedicated solely to porting people for a modest fee. These are things that the world of Norrath allowed for simply by not disallowing it, and it's a beautiful thing. These are things I don't see in other MMO's, and these are the things that actually create a community. That's what I mean by saying communities aren't forced - they grow to fill in the framework of the game, and can only grow when too many restrictions aren't set. Like EQ.

Vanguard, I believe, was going in the same direction but unfortunately it didn't have the population for it. It definitely had community, but it was more like ....scattered tribes.

All in all, I think we agree. Pardon me for not making myself more clear. I definitely don't want a pure sandbox experience!

Thanks, Aradune.

• VR Staff
    • 587 posts
    September 14, 2017 11:46 AM PDT

Iksar said:

Aradune said:

I'd like to point out that Aradune's presence here the past day is exactly what I am talking about and would like to see more of. Engaging, being involved, and otherwise light communication where possible really does a lot to maintain a healthy/good community atmosphere and boost general morale.

Thank you Brad, I hope your active involvement with the community is more common going forward.

(*Not that Kilsin does a bad job by any means; Thank you Kilsin graciously putting up with us all as always)

You're welcome -- I will defintiely endeavor to post more often.  In general I'm multitasking a lot on the project, but when I get some free time on the calender I try to head to the boards -- that's why it's kind of on/off for me.

• 220 posts
    September 14, 2017 9:06 PM PDT

I think Kilsin does some parts of his job too efficiently.  And I think I'm in his margins.  I also think you people have a weird sense of

What, in your opinion, makes a good foundation for a gaming community?

The ability to talk and joke with each other like everyone is part of the fun, shown in this thread, is what makes a good foundation for a gaming community.  Right here in this thread.

What is everyone talking about game mechanics for?

This post was edited by ZennExile at September 14, 2017 9:06 PM PDT
    • 1921 posts
    September 15, 2017 7:07 AM PDT

ZennExile said: ... What is everyone talking about game mechanics for?

Speaking only for myself.. Because the game mechanics determine precisely how generous or selfish players can act towards each other, in-game.  This sets the tone for the community, in my experience.

• 801 posts
    September 15, 2017 7:40 AM PDT

The best foundation i can think of is making sure we have a solid Gaming site platform that allows players from all over discuss things. We need a transparent Dev, and Mod team that can explain things, and not hide things from the players. Such as Nerfing characters, changes to spells, etc.. Start off with a system that will work out years to come. Giving to much at the start and then nerfing because someone did not understand that the math clearly does not work out in the end. Endurance caps etc....

Kilsin has been a great addition to the team, helping kickstarter players and investors understand things in the game and how it evolves. If his position changes down the road to adminstration duties we hope that his aka "better half" follow the same profile he has laid out. We do not need a power hungry mod to step in and forcefully anger the members. Kilsin made this work for us as much as the Dev team has done. Which i am grateful that we have someone like him. I do hope he advances in VR to more administration duties in the future.

I guess it really boils down to the Dev team being as transparent as they can be to the player base and investors. Asking our thoughts when the time comes for difficult decisions such as nerfs and changes to our game.

These are my wishes and thoughts. I just hate being supprised of bad decission making from the start and it all goes badly in the end for the player base. It effects our total experience.

• 3016 posts
    September 15, 2017 9:48 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

The best foundation i can think of is making sure we have a solid Gaming site platform that allows players from all over discuss things. We need a transparent Dev, and Mod team that can explain things, and not hide things from the players. Such as Nerfing characters, changes to spells, etc.. Start off with a system that will work out years to come. Giving to much at the start and then nerfing because someone did not understand that the math clearly does not work out in the end. Endurance caps etc....

Kilsin has been a great addition to the team, helping kickstarter players and investors understand things in the game and how it evolves. If his position changes down the road to adminstration duties we hope that his aka "better half" follow the same profile he has laid out. We do not need a power hungry mod to step in and forcefully anger the members. Kilsin made this work for us as much as the Dev team has done. Which i am grateful that we have someone like him. I do hope he advances in VR to more administration duties in the future.

I guess it really boils down to the Dev team being as transparent as they can be to the player base and investors. Asking our thoughts when the time comes for difficult decisions such as nerfs and changes to our game.

These are my wishes and thoughts. I just hate being supprised of bad decission making from the start and it all goes badly in the end for the player base. It effects our total experience.

Testing and feedback from the testers should help with some of that pre release...bug fixes over time are part of what happens..that sometimes means changes,  those should appear in patch notes,  so no surprises..EQ was like that I expect those sorts of ways of doing things shouldn't change.     I note that some Folks don't read patch notes,   have directed them to do that, when asking questions about recent changes ingame..(in the past)     I doubt there will be many mysteries once the game comes out,  and anything that is will probably show up in patch notes or Dev Trackers.  :)

Cana

• 220 posts
    September 15, 2017 5:14 PM PDT

vjek said:

ZennExile said: ... What is everyone talking about game mechanics for?

Speaking only for myself.. Because the game mechanics determine precisely how generous or selfish players can act towards each other, in-game.  This sets the tone for the community, in my experience.

That makes sense.  I don't know if I would agree with that as the only determining factor, or the largest influencer.  But it would certainly act as part of the foundation.  I just think it would still need to be supported by something else.  Like the mortar between the blocks that holds the foundation together.  I think Kilsin, as the community manager, is that mortar.

Does that make sense?

• 287 posts
    September 16, 2017 9:13 AM PDT

1. Immersion - first time I played EQ at a friends house I was hooked. I felt like I became my character and couldn't get enough.

2. An active community.  Empty zones and servers are bad.

3. Player driven economy.  I love the idea of traveling to sell special items across the world really appeals to me.

4. Fear. I want to be scared again.  I want high level mobs roaming lower level zones  and when I go to get water, there is a chance I will come back to the computer and be at my bind point.  Sand Giants anyone? 

5. Challengng game play.   Too many MMO these days are easy mode.  I can solo 4 mobs at once in EQ2 at level 12 with gear that is far better than I had on my level 60 EQ1 character that took a year to max out levels.  I want to start with nothing but a rusty weapon and earn the gear I get slowly.  I love that in Pantheon, you will remember each special weapon and item.

6. A mature gaming community is key.

7. Open minded people.  The holy trinity is nice but did anyone else try out non traditional groups.  I remember when PoP came out with mobs hitting for 300+ and I would make wizard and mages groups with everyone LFG.  We would bring in all the undesirable nuking classes and go on a tear.  It was so fun and great experience for people normal shunned from some groups.  

This post was edited by bryanleo9 at September 16, 2017 9:32 AM PDT
    • 11 posts
    September 16, 2017 10:52 AM PDT

Stay true to the original mission statement.  Do not get caught up in trying to please all of the people all of the time.  Interdependence, challenge, and a sense of wonder.

• 1095 posts
    September 17, 2017 1:26 PM PDT

brizlyn said:

Stay true to the original mission statement.  Do not get caught up in trying to please all of the people all of the time.  Interdependence, challenge, and a sense of wonder.

I agree.

• 9115 posts
    September 17, 2017 6:00 PM PDT

Thread cleaned up, the reason they get deleted is because they include off-topic, attacking, defensive or accusations that either breach the guidelines, calling out VR staff or are a means to incite unrest within the community, in instances like that the whole post will be removed instantly and without warning as I do not have time to go through and edit all of the infractions from each post, so please be mindful of what you're trying to say when posting on the development forums.

Take any personal thoughts or comments to PMs please, these forums are for the development of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, they are not a platform to call out or attack other members, VR staff included, no matter how strongly you feel about something.

Reposting a post after it has been removed will require further action to be taken.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at September 17, 2017 6:01 PM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    September 17, 2017 6:04 PM PDT

Aatu said:

Trying not to please everyone. Dont be pressured by outside influences saying you need to do such and such to appeal to a larger audience.

Respect within the community. Even though we are all drawn to a certain MMO we are all not alike and opinions will vary. We can still respect each other as individuals even though we do not always agree.

The second part of your response is my favorite from this thread.  Thank you for sharing it.