Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Visible small items (Rings and the likes)

• 9115 posts
    September 15, 2017 3:01 AM PDT

Please move all personal conversations, apologies and explanations to private messages (PMs) they are not suitable for these development forums.

Any derailing or off-topic discussions will be removed without warning, this applies to any thread or sub forum on our development forums, so please keep this in mind and ask yourself "is this helping or contributing towards Pantheons development or community" when you post a reply, if not, please move to off-topic and create a new thread (if one doesn't already exist) or PMs and continue the discussion privately so everyone else can carry on discussing the topic at hand.

• 902 posts
    September 15, 2017 4:35 AM PDT

I understand the argument against putting resources into creating small and irrelevant items and those efforts could be better spent in other aspects of the game. However, if you take out all small and irrelevant items that most people overlook, it soon becomes very apparent that things are indeed missing from the environment and the people not noticing the small stuff would definately notice their combined exclusions. Missing props all add up to a less rich environment.

I would argue that any item worn by a character (i.e. in a character slot), that effects that character in some manner would be worth rendering in whatever manner is appropriate. It rounds off a character, makes them more unique. Allows others to maybe identify that a character has been through an ordeal because of the way a circlet glows differently from a standard head band, or a ring catches the light and its of a colour you haven’t seen before. These small things can start conversations and lead players to who knows where.

I have always been disappointed in items I have worked hard to get only to find it looks like something else, less worthy. Or worse, when it doesn’t appear at all. This does detract from my game play and my enjoyment.

If it’s in the game and its meant to be worn by a character, then it should be visible to those that want to look at it. Immersion is the name of the game. I would suggest that small items have a switch that can be turned off and on in the options pages to help with rendering. I would further say that if an item has had resources spent in creating it in the first place, then there should be a mesh (or whatever tech) for it too to be visible. Why spend the time? To make the game as immersive as possible.

This post was edited by chenzeme at September 15, 2017 4:36 AM PDT