Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

• 13 posts
    August 30, 2017 6:22 PM PDT
    Shocked this hasn't been posted on until now but I just want to extend a best wishes for all affected by hurricane Harvey.
    Living almost dead center to the eye landfall and being a responder myself, Ill say that the damage is significant but I saw boots on the ground within 12 hours from local and state police as well as national guard troops and everyone is doing far more then just their part. Best wishes and thoughts go to those in the Houston metroplex and the Louisiana area dealing with the storm now.
    • 220 posts
    August 30, 2017 7:46 PM PDT

50 inches of rain is unimaginable.  The flooding is so bad that all the water supplies are contaminated.  Texas is about to need millions of household water filters.  A friend of the family is living on a community well down there that is contaminated and is not safe to drink, clean, or even bathe with.  They have about 6 months worth of filters on their subscription that will be used up in no more than 2 months because the contamination of the water source is so bad.That market is very limited and usually requires a subscription service of some kind because supplies are limited.This storm is going to be very bad for anyone who can't afford clean water.

• 129 posts
    August 30, 2017 9:27 PM PDT

Not quite. The flooding was so bad that it threatened to contaminate and there is still the potential for it, but for the time being our water isn't critically threatened. At least, there hasn't been much news coverage on my local news. It depends on the location, I can't speak to well water, only downtown as I live within the loop. There has been a mass influx of supplies brought in, I don't think for the time being shelters will be short on fresh water. However, the thing about humanitarian aid is, it's always there up front. The damage to Houston is extensive in some areas and it will take mooooonths or more to rebuild. It's during that time when help and interest in helping wains. When it's hot, mosquitoes are out, and the smell starts to get pungent.

That said, 50 inches was pretty impressive. It's not often you get to see water with current cresting down a freeway or through entire swaths of businesses. Brother and I got stuck out in the storm Saturday around 12am. The next two days led to some pretty wicked views. Wish I had the ability to take pictures, but unfortunately, had to worry about saving what little battery in case things went really bad.

This post was edited by Rogue at August 30, 2017 9:30 PM PDT