Forums » Pantheon Races

Erudites

    • 4 posts
    July 23, 2017 8:07 PM PDT

      Are there any plans to re-create the Erudite race?  It was my main race in EQ I as a Paladin since release in 99 and I am kinda aloof without it to choose for a main.

    • 2705 posts
    July 24, 2017 5:36 AM PDT

    Not that they have said. Personally, I doubt it. I love the Erudites, but imo some things are best left in EQ. This is a completely different world with a completely different story, so they are only going to add what makes sense within its own lore... rather than doing fan service to a separate franchise. I suggest you explore new race options - you never know, you might find something you like even more :)

    • 241 posts
    July 24, 2017 9:19 AM PDT

    While the Erudite were unique and wonderful, we would probably get into some IP issues if we tried to replicate them in any way because to my knowledge they were and remain purely a SOE property. Halflings, Gnomes and so forth are public domain enough for that not to matter.

    What Bazgrim said also has merit: we are really trying to create a new world for you to get to know and fall in love with. It's a bigger challenge in some respects, but we firmly believe it can bring greater reward for you all. It's some of the reason why we've worked to reimagine the races that are most commonly depicted in fantasy, so you don't feel like it's an chunk of another world dropped into this one.

    Eurd, I undestand your attachment to the Erudites. While we won't have them in Pantheon I hope another race will earn your affections in their own way.

    • 346 posts
    July 25, 2017 2:43 PM PDT

    Istuulamae said:

    While the Erudite were unique and wonderful, we would probably get into some IP issues if we tried to replicate them in any way because to my knowledge they were and remain purely a SOE property. Halflings, Gnomes and so forth are public domain enough for that not to matter.

    What Bazgrim said also has merit: we are really trying to create a new world for you to get to know and fall in love with. It's a bigger challenge in some respects, but we firmly believe it can bring greater reward for you all. It's some of the reason why we've worked to reimagine the races that are most commonly depicted in fantasy, so you don't feel like it's an chunk of another world dropped into this one.

    Eurd, I undestand your attachment to the Erudites. While we won't have them in Pantheon I hope another race will earn your affections in their own way.

    Aren't all races that arrived on Terminus pulled from other worlds? So, technically, while you could have Erudites, I appreciate the issue with the Intellectual Property and also the need to be different.  I think the addition of the Skar and Dark Myr were excellent choices.  Furthermore, the redefinition of a Gnome and the lore about the Halflings are fantastic and better defined than any other game imo.

     

    • 241 posts
    July 25, 2017 7:59 PM PDT

    Durp said:

    Istuulamae said:

    While the Erudite were unique and wonderful, we would probably get into some IP issues if we tried to replicate them in any way because to my knowledge they were and remain purely a SOE property. Halflings, Gnomes and so forth are public domain enough for that not to matter.

    What Bazgrim said also has merit: we are really trying to create a new world for you to get to know and fall in love with. It's a bigger challenge in some respects, but we firmly believe it can bring greater reward for you all. It's some of the reason why we've worked to reimagine the races that are most commonly depicted in fantasy, so you don't feel like it's an chunk of another world dropped into this one.

    Eurd, I undestand your attachment to the Erudites. While we won't have them in Pantheon I hope another race will earn your affections in their own way.

    Aren't all races that arrived on Terminus pulled from other worlds? So, technically, while you could have Erudites, I appreciate the issue with the Intellectual Property and also the need to be different.  I think the addition of the Skar and Dark Myr were excellent choices.  Furthermore, the redefinition of a Gnome and the lore about the Halflings are fantastic and better defined than any other game imo.

     

    Ha! You got me, Durp. Can't believe I blindly walked into such a splendid turn of phrase.

    Thanks for the kind words. I know not everyone will prefer our reimaginings, but I hope we've made enough fundamentally sound and creative changes that the soul of each race shines though, unhindered by a new composition. For each race we aimed at depth and authenticity, as if they each had their own game. Hopefully we can communicate and carry all of that through to the in game experience, transporting you all just as the races have been.

    • 4 posts
    July 26, 2017 8:00 PM PDT

    I understand a direct translation of an Erudite might not carry over so well.  However, the essense of one can.  Yes, EQ had High Elves, Dark Elves, and Gnomes.  But there was something about the high Intellect Erudite that was still very different versus just another mage orianted race.  It made the expeirance of choosing an Erudite Paladin special.  If not already, I am hoping there is a race in this game akin to the Erudite in many ways.

    • 1213 posts
    July 27, 2017 10:10 AM PDT

    Perhaps with an expansion. I am personally keeping my fingers crossed that at least one new race comes with each of the first few expansions via new collisions/arrivals on Terminus. 

    • 60 posts
    August 3, 2017 10:20 PM PDT

    Iksar said:

    Perhaps with an expansion. I am personally keeping my fingers crossed that at least one new race comes with each of the first few expansions via new collisions/arrivals on Terminus. 

    I'm still hoping for a lizard race... always been my fav since I saw Kirk getting smacked around by one.

    Or maybe an "animalistic" race where it's all "one race" But you could be diff animal looks, like tiger/lizard/bearish/owl/monkey etc lol

     

    Never played an Erudite tho... they were the least played race on my server.


    This post was edited by Nymphey at August 3, 2017 10:20 PM PDT
    • 20 posts
    October 9, 2017 3:36 AM PDT

    Hoping in one expansion for TROLLS TROLLS and more TROLLS !!! =) They cant be SONEY IP bc they are just like Ogres, Halfling, Gnomes and Dwarves.

    • 2705 posts
    October 9, 2017 5:38 AM PDT

    lillucky said:

    Hoping in one expansion for TROLLS TROLLS and more TROLLS !!! =) They cant be SONEY IP bc they are just like Ogres, Halfling, Gnomes and Dwarves.

    Don't wanna be a downer, but just informing you that Trolls actually were in the original game design, but were taken out because they didn't really fit the feel of the world as the lore expanded. They were eventually replaced by what are now the Skar. I guess that's not to say that Trolls will never find their way back into the game, but I'd find it very unlikely considering they already had the idea once and scratched it.

    See these threads:

    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5411/why-skar-why-not-trolls

    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2134/trolls-out

    • 178 posts
    November 24, 2017 1:01 AM PST
    Yes, I hope for an Erudite-type race in an expansion too!
    Erudite SKs were /hands down/ the most badass SKs on EQ.