Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

An online store

• 103 posts
    July 19, 2017 12:25 AM PDT

So, I was reading comments on one of the newer forums for the video that they're going to be using for Comicon, and I saw this one comment that mentioned buying the bus wrappers (or something of the likes, you get the idea), and that gave the a great idea about having an online store where they can sell goodies to people who would generally spend money for in game stuff, but can't because Pantheon doesn't support that type of thing (From what I understand, at least). Because Pantheon won't have an in game shop for suckers to drop dough on (suckers such as myself), that takes away profit on their half which would help them keep the game going strong, or at the very least going. But using actual IRL items, that could be more satisfying and money worthy than in game crap, which could catch the attention of people who wouldn't even bat an eye to spending money on a game.

I've seen this with 2 different gaming commanies. Blizzard, and Artix Entertainment. And I thought "Damn, this is something that I would actually put money towards since I have nothing else to spend my money on" (other than the monthy subscriptions and daily needs, but those are minor detials :P).

Heres a few ideas that I myself have had, nothing too over the tops or needy, just basic things:

• Posters/art-maybe even include the option to have a frame to it to make it look all the much more better
    • T-shirts-doesn't only look stylish but promotes the game as well
    • Maybe jewelry (pushing it a bit)-stuff that resembles items that you would find in game
    • Perhaps a statue (nothing over the tops, maybe 6 inches of hight, with the width depending on the item)-If you're going to get art, perhaps of a particular race, then what else to accompany it than a statue of the same, or perhaps another race! (Though this is pushing it I think, having that type of thing is...costly...)
    • Perhaps action figures-seeing that a lot of people in the community are old school gamers, and thus are generally in their 20's+, and a fair share probably have kid. A cool badass orge wouldn't make for a bad present, huh? And hell, maybe thats just stuff you like to collect, theirs plenty of collectors out there.
    • Mugs-Mugs are probably one of the easier things on the list to handle, very basic, and probably not all that costly. Plus who wouldn't want a mug showing off their favorite game, or maybe even their favorite race or landscape within Pantheon. 
    • Calendars-If keeping track of the date is something you already do, might as well take it a step further and look at stunning images of your #1 all time favorite video game and all of the beautiful landscapes it holds ;)

For the most part, thats all I got. And I think that I covered everything I can think of. So what do you fellas think, should this be something that they should do, and if so what else would you like to see in the shop, or any ideas you'd like to expand on?

• 9115 posts
    July 19, 2017 2:50 AM PDT

We have had several discussions on this topic and we are open to a merchandise store later down the track where we sell physical items such as t-shirts, posters, maps, mugs etc. but it is not something we are currently spending any time on while we concentrate on getting the game ready for testing. :)

I have moved this to Off-Topic as it did not belong in the guild subforums.

• 159 posts
    July 19, 2017 3:21 AM PDT

I really wouldn't mind seeing an online store for Pantheon memorabilia. It would probably have to focus on the more easily customizable stuff, such as t-shirts and mugs, since making totally custom stuff from scratch, such as statues or action figures, would probably be quite expensive. Also, thanks Kilsin for the reassurance that testing is the uncontested priority!

I do take issue with something Jacasta said:

Jacasta said:

Because Pantheon won't have an in game shop for suckers to drop dough on (suckers such as myself), that takes away profit on their half which would help them keep the game going strong, or at the very least going.

IMO there are 2 possible models: either the game and ongoing maintenance and development are funded by subscriptions (and possibly real life memorabilia); or it's funded by microtransactions. Pantheon will NOT be the same in both cases.

I've said time and time again: microtransactions aren't just a way to support your game of choice at the time of your choice and with the amount of your choice. They impact design decisions. By necessity, they need to drive sales of in-game items, be they vanity items, utility items, lottery tickets... They need to appeal to big spenders, which makes them predatory on people with more money than sense, or with difficulty restraining themselves. They need to be continually renewed for the novelty factor, which diverts development resources. Publishers that use microtransactions resort to every trick in the book, from time-limited exclusives to flash sales. Most importantly for me, the true goal of microtransactions is to create a bottomless money pit for players. The amount spent in the game has no relation whatsoever with the cost of developing and maintaining it.

You may argue that in a microtransations-based game, especially the ones that flaunt their commitment to only selling cosmetic items, players won't have to spend any money at all. Yet for some reason I have never in my life seen a game go from subscription to microtransactions and become better. On the contrary, games where this has happened have invariably taken a turn for the worse. I stuck around after the last MMO I played went F2P even though I was already against it, but eventually left the game in great part due to this change and the effect it had on game development.

Therefore I applaud VR for defending the subscription model and hope in earnest that many players will see the merits of this option so that Pantheon won't become another game to go free to play after a few months. And I would support a decision to have an online store for real life Pantheon merchandise, but not any sort of in-game store.

• 103 posts
    July 19, 2017 9:22 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

We have had several discussions on this topic and we are open to a merchandise store later down the track where we sell physical items such as t-shirts, posters, maps, mugs etc. but it is not something we are currently spending any time on while we concentrate on getting the game ready for testing. :)

OH, I actually meant to post it in General Pantheon discussion, but thanks. And also that's great, can't say I'm surprised you all are saving that for later on seeing that right now need to compleletely focus on getting the game up and running. But I hope to see what the store has to offer :D

• 422 posts
    July 19, 2017 10:49 AM PDT

You may argue that in a microtransations-based game, especially the ones that flaunt their commitment to only selling cosmetic items, players won't have to spend any money at all. Yet for some reason I have never in my life seen a game go from subscription to microtransactions and become better. On the contrary, games where this has happened have invariably taken a turn for the worse. I stuck around after the last MMO I played went F2P even though I was already against it, but eventually left the game in great part due to this change and the effect it had on game development.

On behalf of the entire community, I respectfully ask this: Stop beating a dead horse and hi-jacking thread topics to complain about F2P and Microtransactions. I am sure people are tired of reading opinions on this topic. There are plenty of threads already in which you can post these opinions. Again, no disrespect but, Please.

This post was edited by kellindil at July 19, 2017 10:50 AM PDT
    • 103 posts
    July 19, 2017 6:15 PM PDT

kellindil said:

On behalf of the entire community, I respectfully ask this: Stop beating a dead horse and hi-jacking thread topics to complain about F2P and Microtransactions. I am sure people are tired of reading opinions on this topic. There are plenty of threads already in which you can post these opinions. Again, no disrespect but, Please.

Yeah, it was long ago stated that they won't support that type of thing, which I actually had to think about what to title this so people didn't get the wrong idea that I'm bringing back a dead conversation.

• 28 posts
    July 19, 2017 10:29 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Please add the promo posters that we see going up at bus stops! They're awesome. They're probably the double-sided ones too, aren't they? Top quality

• 9115 posts
    July 19, 2017 10:41 PM PDT

VizualAbstract said:

Kilsin said:

Please add the promo posters that we see going up at bus stops! They're awesome. They're probably the double-sided ones too, aren't they? Top quality

Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts when I first saw them, I will see what I can do :)

• 1468 posts
    July 20, 2017 2:39 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

VizualAbstract said:

Kilsin said:

Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts when I first saw them, I will see what I can do :)

I'd certainly buy one of those posters as well :).

• 1399 posts
    July 20, 2017 9:44 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

VizualAbstract said:

Kilsin said:

Totally my point for bringing it up in the other thread... all the time and effort has already been expended (and needed to be) to create them, so they are a freeby to add to a store latet... just save all the files and printer info for a later date when the time comes.

Easy money, and at no loss of Dev Time or resources. 

This post was edited by Zorkon at July 25, 2017 12:06 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    July 22, 2017 6:27 PM PDT
    Been at a birthday party all day and a couple people I had conversations with had brought up SDCC. I spread the word on Pantheon and while I know at least one of them is a gamer that would probably be attracted to actually playing Pantheon, apparently all of them have an interest in acquiring some Pantheon "Pops" figurines. I got to see a pretty extensive collection including some special edition Overwatch dolls that were only available at Blizzcon. Anyway ... my wife made it official that if you guys make any of these figurines that we will be getting a full set. Maybe it would be a good idea to offer your own special edition versions at a future gamer convention.
    • 1468 posts
    July 23, 2017 6:14 AM PDT

oneADseven said: Been at a birthday party all day and a couple people I had conversations with had brought up SDCC. I spread the word on Pantheon and while I know at least one of them is a gamer that would probably be attracted to actually playing Pantheon, apparently all of them have an interest in acquiring some Pantheon "Pops" figurines. I got to see a pretty extensive collection including some special edition Overwatch dolls that were only available at Blizzcon. Anyway ... my wife made it official that if you guys make any of these figurines that we will be getting a full set. Maybe it would be a good idea to offer your own special edition versions at a future gamer convention.

Those pops figures aren't really my cup of tea but I'd certainly spend about £40 or so ($50) if there was a merchandise store for Pantheon and I doubt I'm the only one as well. Since you already have the posters made it would be an easy way to get some extra money to help fund development. The only slight problem would be international shipping but I'd be prepared to pay for shipping from the USA to the UK.

• 3237 posts
    July 23, 2017 9:55 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

oneADseven said: Been at a birthday party all day and a couple people I had conversations with had brought up SDCC. I spread the word on Pantheon and while I know at least one of them is a gamer that would probably be attracted to actually playing Pantheon, apparently all of them have an interest in acquiring some Pantheon "Pops" figurines. I got to see a pretty extensive collection including some special edition Overwatch dolls that were only available at Blizzcon. Anyway ... my wife made it official that if you guys make any of these figurines that we will be getting a full set. Maybe it would be a good idea to offer your own special edition versions at a future gamer convention.

Those pops figures aren't really my cup of tea but I'd certainly spend about £40 or so ($50) if there was a merchandise store for Pantheon and I doubt I'm the only one as well. Since you already have the posters made it would be an easy way to get some extra money to help fund development. The only slight problem would be international shipping but I'd be prepared to pay for shipping from the USA to the UK.

Hah!  Not really my thing either, to be honest ... but that isn't going to stop my house from getting filled up with them.  I do have to admit though that I would have an interest in them only if Pantheon released a batch ... but then and only then.

• 77 posts
    November 1, 2018 11:09 PM PDT

Yes please.  I want to buy all of these things.  I also like the calendar idea, that would be great as I keep one up at the office and use it frequently.