Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How in depth is character customization?

• 82 posts
    July 17, 2017 5:20 PM PDT

I ask because we seem to only see the same few models time after time, Im really hoping there will be enough options to make everyone unquie!

thoughts?

• 1404 posts
    July 17, 2017 5:53 PM PDT

Pretty shure it's not in depth at all at this point. I would be suprised if there was anything until after at least alpha testing. But once they hit release FAQ. statement on it should apply.

4.7 What kind of character customization will we see at character creation?

There will be a standard set of options available compared to modern MMO standards -- there should be a healthy amount of options for you to choose from.

• 82 posts
    July 17, 2017 5:55 PM PDT

I wonder what mmo they are comparing to some have lots of options some only have a few, thanks for the info tho

• 33 posts
    July 17, 2017 7:10 PM PDT

I liked my Gnome look in EQ2 with the round purple reflective sunglasses. :)

• 34 posts
    July 18, 2017 3:52 AM PDT

I am hoping for a lot of options.

• 294 posts
    July 18, 2017 10:36 AM PDT

A large bushy beard complete with mustache and sideburns. What more could anyone want? Yes, I play a dwarf.

• 125 posts
    July 18, 2017 8:38 PM PDT

I realize Im in the vast minority when I say this but I honestly dont think I have ever spent more than 5 minutes on character creation. I do appreciate the look of weapons and armor as one advances in the game however.

I also really appreciate top quality lanscape and building graphics within the game as it makes it more emersive... but as stated... individual characters without weapons and armor I dont care much about. I know. Its odd... I care about the environs look but not an individuals personal look... weird.

Again... I know Im in the vast minority. Its just my view on character creation.

I used to have a friend who could spend well over an hour on this aspect of the game. Its just beyond me but all the power to her :) 

• 28 posts
    July 18, 2017 11:07 PM PDT

I've spent hours in customziations. Even re-rolled simply because I didn't like the way my eyes or nose turned out -- It's nice when games let you customize your character in game. Once you can, and newer options are released later in the game, it's nice to be able to explore your options.

...Even if it's limimted, like just hair-related items. I know some people are opposed to in-game customization, but if it was similair to "purchasing a haircut" or something like that, I can see a reasonable compromise.

But sometimes customization can go a little... too far?

Ultimately, I'd like to see more options in armour and accessories. Sure, there's gauntlets and shoulder pieces, but it'd be nice to see bits of jewlery, satchels, and various items latched onto belts or backpaks. I've never seen an MMO do this before, but holy hell... I think being able to accomplish that would take this game to another level.

And also on armour customizations, if there's some kind of ability to dye armour... could it be toned down a little? It's always a little jarring to see the color palette so... all over the place. Muted landscapes of grey and green, and along comes a massive ogre in neon yellow armour.

I get it, it's fun and entertaining, but maybe it's a little too much...

I've always enjoyed Elder Scrolls Online's limitedly-available purchasable color palletes, where you apply a color scheme, not a specific color.

This post was edited by VizualAbstract at July 18, 2017 11:09 PM PDT
    • 103 posts
    July 18, 2017 11:39 PM PDT

I'd like something like SWG, where you can change almost everything. Nose length and width, weight, muscle, eye shape and size, overall height, and the likes. STO went a bit further, if I recall correctly. They had basically all of that, but you could change your leg, torso, and arm length, and hand size as well. As for games like SWTOR and WoW, their character customization is a bit limited, if you ask me. Very basic, which personally I'm not a fan of because it makes it more difficult to be unique.

• 40 posts
    August 20, 2018 5:13 PM PDT

I prefer being able to adjust height, weight and size of the body and bodyparts. As much as possible. Not that its' a deal breaker but having say some natural height variance amongst same race characters creates a natural feel I think. 

But I think this will hurt Pantheon less than other games if they don't allow it. Other games start off with lots of races, only to section them largely far away from one another and make players of one faction incapable of grouping with those of another. So you get an unaturally small pool of people to compare body types with. 

If all humans are 6ft tall and the land is populated only with humans. It's more apparant than if you have humans, ogres, gnomes, dwarves etc all running around. 

However, I'm a huge fan of in depth character creation and welcome more of they're able to add it in. It's literally for many modern MMO's the only part of the game that's any fun lol.

• 1860 posts
    August 20, 2018 5:24 PM PDT

If you watch the Jim Lee stream that is the only stream that has shown us much from the character creation screens.

• 136 posts
    August 20, 2018 5:46 PM PDT

In the most recently live stream Q&A the devs did which can be found in the news and announcements section I believe stickied at the top they said that the character creator will be standard. You will have your basic customization it seems like but nothing to crazy in depth like how some games can get.

• 3852 posts
    August 20, 2018 6:06 PM PDT

As an altoholic who spends hours at the character creation screen I am not about to argue against a wide variety of choices. But having too many imposes strain on the system and takes away from other valuable things.

Never forget that as we travel through Terminus there are two things we will see more than anything else - the backs of our heads and our arses.

So a wide variety of hairstyles and butt cheek options will repay developer effort more than 50 options for creating a face.

Yes this is slightly tongue in cheek but the point is serious - how often to we see our faces unless we stop whatever we are doing and turn around for the player to admire them?

• 119 posts
    August 20, 2018 7:16 PM PDT

love character creation. One of my favorite things is choosing and fine tuning my character appearance options (ala Black Desert, for example).

However, I know that's not so much of a priority in Pantheon. They mentioned in this video that they wouldn't be spending a lot of resources on making a crazy in depth creation system; to expect a fairly traditional one. I can't remember the phrasing exactly, but something like that around the 22:30 mark;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhUKChiOPI

I'm alright with that, as long as we get enough in the way of hair options, skin tones, eye colors - a lot of variety with the basics.

• 15 posts
    August 20, 2018 11:52 PM PDT

I pray to the gods below it won't be super crazy customizable. I HATED how many options Aion had because people would make these disgusting knee-high characters for the smaller PvP hit-box. Or the kids who maxed arm/leg length and thinness but maxed head and eye size for a willowy bobble-head toon. I'd prefer a conservative standard deviation among races for most options.

• 2756 posts
    August 21, 2018 1:45 AM PDT

Zorkon said:

Pretty shure it's not in depth at all at this point. I would be suprised if there was anything until after at least alpha testing. But once they hit release FAQ. statement on it should apply.

4.7 What kind of character customization will we see at character creation?

There will be a standard set of options available compared to modern MMO standards -- there should be a healthy amount of options for you to choose from.

Brad repeated this in the most recent stream.  Nothing crazy, but the usual stuff you'd expect.

They've said that in streams you're not seeing customised characters but a standard set of representative race types with fixed equipment.

I would anticipate not getting anywhere near Black Desert Online level of customisation, where you need to be a qualified anatomy expert and a graphic designer to use it, but maybe better then LOTRO which is quite limited.