Forums » The Halflings

there must be halfling necromancers

• 318 posts
    July 8, 2017 9:04 AM PDT

Traditional necros are an evil class, but all their tools are effective when fighting AGAINST undead enemies.   So I got to thinking, necros should be a GOOD class not evil and then I remembered that a splinter group of Halflings (according to the lore) are actively fighting (instead of being pacifists.  And the arch-enemy of the Halflings is Morgoth and the undead.

Soooooo.....I think there should be a Halfling Necro that fights against the undead  :)

(seriously)

• 78 posts
    July 9, 2017 2:55 AM PDT

IMO, the class is not evil.  It may be designed as evil, but it is in all about how you play it.  From a game perspective, society viewed Necromancers as evil and usually KOS.  You could usually work on your faction to become non KOS.  This adds more flavor to the game.

• 305 posts
    July 10, 2017 7:56 AM PDT

The Necromancer class is seens as evil because it is a forbidden art (generally). Control over the dead is taboo in a lot of cultures. The Necromancer doesn't fight against the dead, the class manipulates the dead. Commands the reanimated remains. Part of this ability to assert domination over the dead is, of course, the ability to obliterate them. While the class itself isn't really "evil", society's PERCEPTION of their line of study is seen as unholy and evil.

Perspective!! 

The halflings fighting against the undead lord wouldn't seek to become just like him to fight him. I think they would choose instead a route that lead counter to what he is, I would think they would become Clerics or Paladins before they would seek the help of dark magic as the race is a more goodly aligned race. Chaotic good maybe, but good none the less.

I just don't see Necromancer fitting in with the lore and attitude of the Halfling race.

• 2148 posts
    July 10, 2017 11:54 AM PDT

kellindil said:

The Necromancer class is seens as evil because it is a forbidden art (generally). Control over the dead is taboo in a lot of cultures. The Necromancer doesn't fight against the dead, the class manipulates the dead. Commands the reanimated remains. Part of this ability to assert domination over the dead is, of course, the ability to obliterate them. While the class itself isn't really "evil", society's PERCEPTION of their line of study is seen as unholy and evil.

Perspective!! 

The halflings fighting against the undead lord wouldn't seek to become just like him to fight him. I think they would choose instead a route that lead counter to what he is, I would think they would become Clerics or Paladins before they would seek the help of dark magic as the race is a more goodly aligned race. Chaotic good maybe, but good none the less.

I just don't see Necromancer fitting in with the lore and attitude of the Halfling race.

Perfect explanation. My thoughts exactly.

• 264 posts
    July 10, 2017 6:41 PM PDT

I guess it depends on whether or not Wraiths are actually undead, or if they are just a different, less physical form of life.  If they are undead, being a Necromancer would be a great way to persecute them by using them against their own kind.  Personally I would like Halflings to have more class choices, including Clerics and Paladins :).