Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Jay Barbeau?

• 40 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:50 PM PDT

You guys should have Jay Barbeau do the games music. For those that do not know, he did an incredible job with EQ's music. 

• 155 posts
    June 29, 2017 6:59 PM PDT

You think so ?

• 399 posts
    June 29, 2017 8:46 PM PDT

I think so for sure.

• 2886 posts
    June 30, 2017 2:45 AM PDT

We, the community, have already attempted to contact him numerous times, but he's already plenty busy with his own endeavors. An artist of that caliber usually does not just stand around looking for work. His talent is in high demand, so I wouldn't hold your breath. 

It looks like primarily he's pioneering some interactive 3D music software called "Musycal": www.musycal3d.com Interestingly enough, I also think he's helping develop some software for a fire fighting flight simulator for the US Forest Service. 

But that doesn't mean Pantheon can't have music that's equally or even more epic. The handful of tracks that we have heard already gives me goosebumps. Joppa has quickly proven himself capable of making an epic soundtrack for Pantheon.

(See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/6435/looping-in-game-music)

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 30, 2017 2:46 AM PDT
    • 155 posts
    June 30, 2017 6:41 AM PDT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEI5VkWB_xM&list=PL1D8D8720FC337B61

This post was edited by Rendall at June 30, 2017 6:42 AM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 30, 2017 1:59 PM PDT

Or shine a light on Paul Hertenstein? he's got talent, maybe some composition, too?

• 1281 posts
    June 12, 2018 6:50 PM PDT

Read the bio. I don't know what to believe.... He is amazing.

https://soundcloud.com/jtbarr

• 2886 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:14 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Read the bio. I don't know what to believe.... He is amazing.

https://soundcloud.com/jtbarr

Good eye. I too found this very interesting, but I got confirmation from VR that while he was in contact with them at one point, he's not currently working with them in any official capacity. Looks like his bio is a little outdated/inaccurate.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at June 12, 2018 8:14 PM PDT
    • 1714 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:16 PM PDT

I vote for Ronald Jenkees. 

• 1281 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:29 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Good eye. I too found this very interesting, but I got confirmation from VR that while he was in contact with them at one point, he's not currently working with them in any official capacity. Looks like his bio is a little outdated/inaccurate.

Thanks for the update. I just find it interesting that he uploaded the theme idea only 22 days ago. How long ago did VR say they were not working with him?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 12, 2018 8:39 PM PDT
    • 1785 posts
    June 12, 2018 8:33 PM PDT

I vote for Joppa, since I think he's been doing a great job with it from the music that's been shared so far.

That said, if Joppa wants help maybe, I wonder if there would be a way to sort of crowdsource the music for Pantheon?  Like hey artists, if you'd like, you can submit pieces for consideration, and if you use them we'll credit you or even pay you a one-time fee or something?  Something I've learned over the last few years is that for every big name artist or musician you recognize, there's hundreds more out there who are really good, but they just haven't gotten the visibility to make it big.  So giving some of those unknowns a chance to associate themselves with a real product, even if it's just a track here or there, seems like it would be a pretty cool win for all parties.

I mean it would probably have to pass muster with the lawyers but I just feel like it'd be a nice thing if it worked :)

• 432 posts
    June 13, 2018 3:21 AM PDT

I am very partial for Chance Thomas .

His soundtrack for Lotro is for me clearly the best game music I have ever heard in the few dozens of MMOs I have played . The point being that game (or movie) music is not just music . There are many people who can do music but there are very few select ones who are able to transmit by music emotions which are perfectly consistent and resonant with the spirit of the game and with the emotions generated by the lore and graphics .

Here are 2 examples among many where Chance Thomas succeeded to do so for Lotro - the music is perfectly in phase with the spirit of Middle Earth and with the specific theme .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYuvDwbl94k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiEoUiEh6uQ

However I must admit that Jay Barbeau did an exceptional work with EQ too even if I find that his short MIDI pieces are not as good as Chance Thomas from teh musical point of view .

• 2886 posts
    June 13, 2018 3:49 AM PDT

Nephele said:

I vote for Joppa, since I think he's been doing a great job with it from the music that's been shared so far.

That said, if Joppa wants help maybe, I wonder if there would be a way to sort of crowdsource the music for Pantheon?  Like hey artists, if you'd like, you can submit pieces for consideration, and if you use them we'll credit you or even pay you a one-time fee or something?  Something I've learned over the last few years is that for every big name artist or musician you recognize, there's hundreds more out there who are really good, but they just haven't gotten the visibility to make it big.  So giving some of those unknowns a chance to associate themselves with a real product, even if it's just a track here or there, seems like it would be a pretty cool win for all parties.

I mean it would probably have to pass muster with the lawyers but I just feel like it'd be a nice thing if it worked :)

We do have a very talented community, but VR has a policy that doesn't allow them to crowdsource any in-game assets. Everything has to be done in-house. They avoid a lot of potential problems down the road that way.

I too hope Joppa continues to make the music for Pantheon. His production quality is top notch. But I do understand he has a lot on his plate. So I wouldn't be surprised if he brought in help eventually, but I'm sure it would have to be someone that aligns with his vision.

• 2886 posts
    June 13, 2018 4:36 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Bazgrim said:

Thanks for the update. I just find it interesting that he uploaded the theme idea only 22 days ago. How long ago did VR say they were not working with him?

Yesterday. My understanding is that track was something he did on his own for fun, not something he was asked to do officially.

• 612 posts
    • 643 posts
    June 13, 2018 9:52 AM PDT

I am a Tolkien ridiculous fanatic and a crazy EQ rabid nut fanatic.

I like the LoTR movie soundtrack.  I haven't really found any other game music that was so good as EQ1's.

The original (choppy MIDI and all) score is one of the most powerfuil things that completely floor me every time I listen to it.

OK, all that said:  I actually love the stuff they've gotten down so far.  The current main score is really really good - I actually listened to it on repeat driving to work a couple days ago.  I love that and it's the first thing I've found that I believe might be able to rival the original EQ score for me.

• 769 posts
    June 13, 2018 10:03 AM PDT

Surprised nobody has singled out Todd Masten. 

Philistines. 

• 1281 posts
    July 30, 2018 8:21 PM PDT

He put up two more pieces on Soundcloud. https://soundcloud.com/jtbarr

Dminor Adventure is sooo EQ inspired it will make your head spin.

• 1714 posts
    July 30, 2018 8:59 PM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Needs to be a midi.

• 316 posts
    August 2, 2018 12:16 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Thank you!

Good lord, he adds so much innocent talent and charm.

This post was edited by Alexander at August 2, 2018 12:27 AM PDT
    • 1281 posts
    December 27, 2019 5:54 PM PST

Anyone by chance download some of his older tracks he had on there? He pulled a bunch down several months ago. I emailed him and asked him to put them back on, he said he would but so far they are not on there. They are not posted anywhere else so we can't listen to them anymore ;(