Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Being booted as if alt/tabbing every few hours

• 3852 posts
    June 27, 2017 11:36 AM PDT

I know this has nothing to do with Pantheon but we have some very knowledgable people here and I thought I'd try asking this in the off-topic forum. No one can deny it is off-topic ((chuckle)).

Starting a few months ago I keep getting switched from games to desktop as if I had alt/tabbed. The game doesn't crash - I can get back with a click or two. This doesn't coincide visibly with any type of notification on the desktop and it happens with Windows 10 set to not give notifications and with my anti-virus program set to not update until the computer is rebooted.

Usually it happens every few hours and usually twice in a row if I go back to the game. It has happened with EQ2, Rift and now LOTRO where I'm killing time waiting for Pantheon to hit testing.

I don't recall any program being added at that time - this comptuter is used for MMOs basically.

Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

• 422 posts
    June 27, 2017 1:17 PM PDT

You are running Win10?

Mine started doing this when I installed the Razer synapse client.

• 3852 posts
    June 27, 2017 5:06 PM PDT

Windows 10 - no changes in equipment for years - plain vanilla Logitech keyboard and mouse (I should get someone else's keyboard next time this is three Logitechs in a row where at least one letter rubbed off.)

No Razer anything.

• 29 posts
    June 28, 2017 3:39 AM PDT

Usually this happens to me when an automatic update occurs.  Sometime I get a popup, sometimes I don't.

• 422 posts
    June 28, 2017 7:05 AM PDT

Some process is stealing orientation from the game which is why it is minimizing. Mine happens every day about the same time of day and it will minimize the game twice in a row with a 20-30 second pause between each. Only thing I can suggest is kill ALL non micrososft or non-system processes one by one and see if that helps the issue. Once you find a process that seems to be impacting the system remove it.

• 159 posts
    July 2, 2017 2:19 AM PDT

This happens to me on Win10 whenever I connect my phone to the PC for charging. In the past I've also run into very crappy USB devices with shoddy drivers that would constantly disconnect/reconnect, so maybe you have some device that's causing it? The worst offender wasn't even an external device, but a case-mounted LCD panel, which I had to disable because of this issue.