Forums » News and Announcements

It's that time of the month again, ahem...The June Newsletter!

• 42 posts
    June 15, 2017 3:23 AM PDT

Interesting .

• 10 posts
    June 15, 2017 6:24 AM PDT
    Looks like I might have to upgrade from an I5 to the I7 now... I want to be able to see this game in all its glory lol
    • 9115 posts
    June 15, 2017 6:29 AM PDT

Lincoln said: Looks like I might have to upgrade from an I5 to the I7 now... I want to be able to see this game in all its glory lol

Haha, i5 will be fine, but if you want to crank up Pantheon to max and enjoy it all the GPU will be the bottleneck ;)

• 59 posts
    June 15, 2017 4:10 PM PDT

The difference between an i5 and i7 for gaming is basically none for 1) most games and 2) if they're the same generation/make. An i7 is more work station/content creation/streaming oriented rather than gaming. A top of the line i5 is like 95% of what an i7 is when it comes to gaming. The exception is for the very very very few games that actually utilize 8+ cores to their full potential. At the moment the bottleneck is GPU and the amount of ram you have.

I have an i7 4970k, but my PC is a work+gaming so I utiltize more of the CPU than most would. However the highest it's ever been pushed by a game in 3ish years was 50%. Even CIV never pushed it passed like 30-40%. My friend purchased the i5 version of the 4970k and he has nearly identical performance (before I upgraded my GPU).

Also if you're going to be purchasing a CPU you want to look at the benchmark charts and the most important number for gaming is the benchmark per thread. You can have 12 threads with 1k performance and have a 12,000 rated CPU. But you'll get better performance on a 4 core cpu if those cores are rated at 2,000+ when it comes to gaming.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790K There's my current CPU. As you see the single thread rating is 2530, for gaming that's what you care about most.

This post was edited by CrAzD at June 15, 2017 4:11 PM PDT
    • 2138 posts
    June 17, 2017 4:56 PM PDT

I saw the trade-marked "in" joke!

ha~! I feel like one of the cool kids.

• 1281 posts
    June 18, 2017 7:48 PM PDT

Out of curiosity, when you're deciding how to spend time working on the game, what is the difference between going back and re-do existing art/zone layouts now rather than waiting until the entire game is built, then going back through? Is one way better than another?

This post was edited by bigdogchris at June 22, 2017 8:14 PM PDT
    • 9 posts
    June 22, 2017 11:41 AM PDT

When Corey LeFever talks about "research with those players intrested in crafting" is he primarly talking about VIP supporters?  Are round tables still going on and if so will they be expected to continue throughout all stages of testing?  I know there is an open forum about crafting but just curious is there has been/is also closed/locked boards about these areas as well? 

• 9115 posts
    June 22, 2017 4:55 PM PDT

Baldo said:

When Corey LeFever talks about "research with those players intrested in crafting" is he primarly talking about VIP supporters?  Are round tables still going on and if so will they be expected to continue throughout all stages of testing?  I know there is an open forum about crafting but just curious is there has been/is also closed/locked boards about these areas as well? 

No, he is talking about testing and the community in general, the research comment was from reading the posts in the Crafting section on our forums among other platforms, we don't lock parts of our game development away. :)