Forums » The Ranger

• Wig
    • 104 posts
    June 7, 2017 9:45 AM PDT

I know, I know..pets are a very touchy subject when it comes to rangers. Just unequip your torches and pitchforks for just a few. I just finished watching Voices of Terminus episode on rangers (I know I'm a bit late to the show). Besides some of the parts in the show making me want to rage and bite infants heads off, they had some decent ideas about pets. I liked the idea that, if rangers do get pets, to have their own talent tree so we can spec them way we would like. This brings more customization to a class and allowing for a broader playstyle. However, their opinion on whether a pet is permanent or temporary was a bit hazy. I know Brad stated rangers won't be a pet class. Has this information changed? Who knows. When he says not a pet class, we have no pet at all? Or we get temporary pets? Who knows. My question to you is do you want pets? Permanent? Temporary (Charmed)? Not at all? If you do want pets, how would you like them to work? 

• 413 posts
    June 7, 2017 11:07 AM PDT

I honestly don't know where all this pet talk came from. I don't remember anyone from VR saying Rangers will have pets. They haven't released any info on the Ranger yet at all. Maybe someone can link a source (from VR).

Rangers in D&D (which is confirmed to be the inspiration for all the classes VR has planned) were not a pet class but at a high enough level could opt to have a companion. Usually a wolf, big cat, bear, or bird. These were just animals that tagged along. They had no real special abilities. Being wild animals they were not always around thus they were more of a temporary pet.

If Rangers do get some kind of pet, this is how i'd like it to work.

At a specific level, mid to higher level preferably, you can select a companion by quest. This would be a special ability granted. You would pick, via the quest, to befriend a choice of animal. The ability would be usable once a day (game day) and would last a half day (again game day). The pet should be controlable to the exstint of /attack target, /stop attack, /guard (stay in an area and attack anything hostile that comes within range), and /hold (take absolutely no actions unless told). The pet would have an "aura" that would grant a small buff depending on the type of animal (bear gives more stamina or defense what have you, wolf might buff str or atk, etc). This would affect the entire group.

Thats it. If it doesn't work something along these lines (an ability to summon or a befriend animal spell) then I'd rather not see Rangers with pets. I am not a fan of spec trees for either pets or players. Play styles should be handled through skills chosen to level and equipment. If you want to be more tanky then you'd find gear with the most Ac/Def/Sta/Whatever stats tanks need in game. If you want to be melee DPS you'd maybe find gear with Str and ATK and the like. If you want to be Ranged DPS you'd look for gear with Dex and Ranged ATK modifiers (because ranged and melee atk strength should be different stats IMO). All this mized with quested special abilities like special melee or ranged attacks or defensive cool downs and the like.

The pet, if at all, should just be a slight boost to DPS (via the pet attacking and any boon they might grant).

• 6 posts
    June 7, 2017 1:35 PM PDT

I don't think pets should be on any sort of long timer.  This happened in FFXI with dragoon, they could call their wyvern once per hour, if it died in the first 5 minutes they went 55 minutes without it.  Now anytime a pet can be out, devs have to calculate that into the dps of the player, because of this, the dragoon with no pet was now a gimp dps or liability to the party until their cooldown reset.  You could say that most groups wouldn't mind, but deep down, lots of folks are a-holes that just want to maximize their groups and would pass over dragoons for that reason.  I liked how WoW originally did their hunter pets, before they added pet talent trees.  If you got a bird, it was fast, attacked fast, but didn't hit too hard, snakes would poison, boars could charge, that sort of thing, what you tamed determined what you got, also the longer you fought with your pet, you raised it, the more loyal or better it got, I think they could have expanded on that more though.

• Wig
    • 104 posts
    June 7, 2017 4:09 PM PDT

Like I said, I'm getting this from the Voices of Terminus episode I watched, which is a bit dated. As for the talent trees, I agree I don't want them for characters (creates cookie cutter specs) but for pets it could work..maybe? I think AA's could work as well to help give your pet more damage or survivability. I do like the idea of finding what pet does what as mallanb81 stated I.e. Cats are dps, bears are tanks. But again, Brad stated ranger isn't a pet class. However, you could interpret that in a few ways. Possibly combat pets are out for ranger, but non combat pets that resemble familiars? Just something for us to ponder while awaiting the Ranger reveal :)

• 151 posts
    June 11, 2017 4:43 AM PDT

kellindil said:

Rangers in D&D (which is confirmed to be the inspiration for all the classes VR has planned) were not a pet class but at a high enough level could opt to have a companion. Usually a wolf, big cat, bear, or bird. These were just animals that tagged along. They had no real special abilities. Being wild animals they were not always around thus they were more of a temporary pet. 

I'd be fine with a companion that just tagged along and didn't help in combat, as long as I'm not forced to use a bow.

• 413 posts
    June 11, 2017 9:07 AM PDT

If they force anyone to use any specific weapons over another i will be increadibly disapointed. I want to use a bow as a primary weapon, but I do not support locking a classes gameplay to a single weapon choice. Melee should be equally viable as a bow and vice versa.

• Wig
    • 104 posts
    June 11, 2017 4:38 PM PDT

I agree. I think melee and ranged should both be viable options. Allow the player to decide how to specialize via AAs.

• 228 posts
    July 10, 2017 9:00 AM PDT
    There will not be AA's at launch, no one from VR has said anything about Ranger's being a pet class, and Rangers will most likely be the only class to master the bow. Let's just accept this and move on.
    • 191 posts
    August 16, 2017 8:55 PM PDT
    I liked the way WoW did pets tbh. One of the few things I enjoyed. I liked having a companion in the wild
    • 9 posts
    September 11, 2017 9:46 AM PDT

I'd like a ranger pet to be like the EQ AA Pack Hunt where your summon wolves. Maybe you need to do a quest to get this AA in order to learn how to do it. At first you're only able to summon one wolf but you can very slowly upgrade it to give you more wolves.

This post was edited by Utica at September 11, 2017 9:47 AM PDT
    • 122 posts
    October 26, 2017 7:51 AM PDT

Considering the ranger classes in Pantheon are pretty attuned with nature, I would be fine with having a pet or pets, for simple mechanics, such as if you have your owl summoned, you can use him to go scout around a corner or something. Or if you summoned a wolf, maybe he would increase your foraging or tracking via sceant (just thinking outloud). Unless it's an AA, the pets for a ranger should not be a source of dps in my opinion.

• 1 posts
    October 26, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

Im a long time ranger and lurker here.  Im not sure why you cant have three options.  Sort of like WoW, gasp, was at one point.  Let the ranger choose a specialization, melee, ranged or pet. IF you have a seperate skill tree for each with the dps being similar then everyone will be able to play the way they like.  In my vision melee or ranged have no pet, except maybe a temp uncontrolled summone wolf type dot really thing.  I personally really enjoyed the wow hunter and before they screwed up all the classesand i had a couple of em. one melee and one ranged focused. 

• 413 posts
    October 26, 2017 8:50 AM PDT

Rokchewer said:

Im a long time ranger and lurker here.  Im not sure why you cant have three options.  Sort of like WoW, gasp, was at one point.  Let the ranger choose a specialization, melee, ranged or pet. IF you have a seperate skill tree for each with the dps being similar then everyone will be able to play the way they like.  In my vision melee or ranged have no pet, except maybe a temp uncontrolled summone wolf type dot really thing.  I personally really enjoyed the wow hunter and before they screwed up all the classesand i had a couple of em. one melee and one ranged focused. 

NO SKILL TREES!!!!!

This is one of THE reasons I hate WoW. One will always be the best and you end up forced into a specific spec.

Keep anything and everything WoW-ish out!!

• 122 posts
    October 26, 2017 9:00 AM PDT

Rokchewer said:

To your defense, I do hope the ranger is designed to where it can viable to use melee or ranged dps. The good thing about EQ and VG, is you didn't need a skill tree to be able to have these different "specs." If you spent enough time playing, you would gain enough AA points to level up Endless Quiver, AMD3, or a bunch of melee enchancing abilities (albeit in EQ ranged was the way to go with a ranger). As sort of mentioned above, every top guild theorycrafts (create mathematical combat formulas for optimization) and there will always be one spec used in a raid during a given expansion period. With intelligent design from devs, we won't have to bottleneck ourselves into 1 spec; rather, we will have it all at our disposal, leaving it up to the skill of the player to know which kind of dps he/she should use in a given situation.

The WoW hunter was fun (I mained him from day 1 until Burning Crusade, switching to rogue), but it did not follow the traditional design of a ranger (dungeons and dragons, which is what Brad would often pull inspiration from in the past, where rangers don't have pets with any impact on combat). Again to your point, however, VR has taken "their own approach" to the fantasy setting (i.e. new takes on halflings, gnomes, ogre druid etc), so it's not out of the realm of possibility we see them with a pet, though I believe only druid lore contained any direct information regarding pets.

This post was edited by Zuljan at October 26, 2017 9:09 AM PDT