Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

New Member and Not sure what to Expect

• 5 posts
    May 17, 2017 8:45 AM PDT

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this game a few days ago and after watching a few of the online videos and reviewing some forum post I immediately Pledged!

However the more I browse the forums and finished up the video, several things are apparent to me.

1. This game is similar to Everquest 1

2. This game is similar to Vanguard

3. OMG I have never played any of those games did I just waste my money!!!! LOL

My concern is that I have never played either of those games and My only frame of reference for MMO's is FFXI and FFXIV (which I hated).  Now, I absolutely loved FFXI at initial release, the game was hard, and it required you to build relationships with people and teams to clear content which made every quest/mission acomplishment that more worth it.  Even getting gear was hard, but i still remember to this day getting my first piece of Job specefic gear and how rewarding it felt.  That is something that is missing from every MMO on the market and something I heard loud and clear in many of the videos.  

My only concern is that with so many references to EQ1 and Vanguard, did I mechanically miss the mark in what I am looking for?  Can any former EQ, Vanguard or FFXI players give an opinion or reference.  Granted the game is not out yet, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 409 posts
    May 17, 2017 8:51 AM PDT

deleted

This post was edited by Nimryl at August 23, 2017 7:55 AM PDT
    • 999 posts
    May 17, 2017 8:51 AM PDT

Welcome, and there are several FFXI vets here as well.  FFXI had many similar mechanics to EQ so you're most definitely not in the wrong place :).  Pantheon is being designed more akin to first generation MMOs where progression is rewarding, challenging, and meaningful, but, bringing a fresh twist to the old school feel.

Reading through the FAQ and Wiki should also make you feel right at home:

http://pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/

http://pantheonriseofthefallen.gamepedia.com/Pantheon:_Rise_of_the_Fallen_Wiki

• 2886 posts
    May 17, 2017 9:12 AM PDT

Tbh, it's actually better that you come into it with little to no expectations. Imo, there's really no reason to compare it any other game. Doing so only limits your understanding. You should only expect VR to fulfill their own goals that they laid out from the beginning:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/game_tenets/

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/game_features/

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/

If after reading the articles in the above links, you feel like it's something you're interested in, then you're in the right place. Feel free to tell us about you in the Introduce Yourself subforum.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 17, 2017 9:14 AM PDT
    • 151 posts
    May 17, 2017 9:16 AM PDT

Really need to check out the link for the Pantheon Difference. When I first heard of this game I read that and it gave me goose bumps. I told myself that if they only implement 30% of what is there this is my gaming home for the next .... well forever. If reading that doesnt get you on board you may not like whats being offered here.

• 239 posts
    May 17, 2017 9:29 AM PDT
    Run! Run far away and fast.
    If you have never played EQ or VG. If the bug bites you and you get addicted like the rest of us. A well designed MMO like EQ will stick with you for years and ruin your other MMO experiences trying to match it.
    Don't say I didn't warn you when I see you here 17 years later. :)
    • 110 posts
    May 17, 2017 9:34 AM PDT

ofhiii said:

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this game a few days ago and after watching a few of the online videos and reviewing some forum post I immediately Pledged!

However the more I browse the forums and finished up the video, several things are apparent to me.

My concern is that I have never played either of those games and My only frame of reference for MMO's is FFXI and FFXIV (which I hated).  Now, I absolutely loved FFXI at initial release, the game was hard, and it required you to build relationships with people and teams to clear content which made every quest/mission acomplishment that more worth it.  Even getting gear was hard, but i still remember to this day getting my first piece of Job specefic gear and how rewarding it felt.  That is something that is missing from every MMO on the market and something I heard loud and clear in many of the videos.  

My only concern is that with so many references to EQ1 and Vanguard, did I mechanically miss the mark in what I am looking for?  Can any former EQ, Vanguard or FFXI players give an opinion or reference.  Granted the game is not out yet, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

If you have played FFXI and FFXIV you will do just fine here.  :-)  FFXI is very similer to Everquest.  I played both FFXI and FFXIV and the communities in those games are the same kind of gamers that frequent this server.  What your seeing when you notice people saying its like EQ or VG is really we see the elements of both games because the developer who is designing this game is in fact the same developer of EQ and VG. 

I would direct you to the FAQ section as it will certainly be able to answer a lot of questions for you about specifically what tyhis game is all about.  I have always lumped FFXI in with Everquest because it was just as hard and worthwhile and meaningful as my Everquest playtime.  The people I met in FFXI are the same kind of people I meet in Everquest and on these boards.  Personally I don't think you made a mistake, I just think you came home.  You were enticed by the same values everybody on this forum shares.

We all realize there is something missing from MMO's and that sometyhing is meaningful relationships with like minded gamers with a sense of gratification in helping each other out and working together towards a common goal.  So I hope a few of us have been able to settle your nerves a bit, and personally I don't think you wasted your money.  So with that said welcome to the team!

This post was edited by Evorus at May 17, 2017 9:37 AM PDT
    • 129 posts
    May 17, 2017 10:39 AM PDT

Snakes will kick.

You've been warned.

• 3237 posts
    May 17, 2017 11:37 AM PDT
    I spent a good amount of time playing FFXI and sincerely hope that Pantheon recaptures many of the game play elements that they pulled off so well in that game. Particularly, keeping all level ranges populated with veteran players (Progeny will help with this I hope), difficult group/raid content, class flavor (specialization won't be as deep as sub classes but let's hope for the best), regional auction houses, player driven economy, meaningful and memorable loot ... the list goes on. I loved how they did their NM's in that game as well. It was very satisfying in regards to the rarity of loot, the NPC's themselves (respawn, placement) and challenge. FFXIV failed hard when it came to creating a successor for FFXI. You definitely came to the right place though ... I was searching for a game like this for a very long time and that search abruptly ended when I found this website.
    • 1778 posts
    May 17, 2017 11:38 AM PDT

@Ofhiii

FFXI vet here (Garuda Server represent!). Ive been following this game since the kickstarter. And I can say that I fully look forward to this game. I even became a VIP, I felt so strongly about it. And I have never played EQ or VG. But it checks all the right boxes for me. Not only in what the Devs have said, but also in the tenets and features. 

Basically what others have said before me is spot on. Just have an open mind about what the devs are trying to create with oldschool challenge and style of gameplay of the era of EQ and FFXI in mind. I will say dont expect some coomon things form the FFXI universe though. There will not be any Gnome engineers named Cid, or Chocobos, or the iconic Job Class system. But Im guessing you already knew that.

If you have any additional questions after looking around and reading the FAQ, tenets and features, then feel free to do so!

In the mean time, welcome to the family!

• 5 posts
    May 17, 2017 12:52 PM PDT

Thank you so much for all the feedback and links to additional information.

It nice to be able to ask a question on a forum and get honest feedback from the fanbase without disrespecting people or opinions.

I have read all the links provided (still going thru WIKI) and the comments and I believe I have made the right decision and have finally found what I have been looking since FFXI ended (post ABBY)

Now comes the hardest part......the waiting LOL

Thanks again!

• 578 posts
    May 17, 2017 12:54 PM PDT

What I can add on top of the few FFXI vets that have already responded is that I believe Pantheon will be more FFXI than FFXIV.

Some of the things that both EQ and VG share that will have a good chance at being in Pantheon are GREAT classes. This won't be a game like Rift where a rogue can be a tank, healer, dps, support, etc at the flick of a button or with any press of a button at all. It doesn't have a classless system either where you begin your new character and rather than pick a class you select from a giant pool of classes to create your own class. Pantheon will have very defined classes that play very defined roles (with some variance due to stances and dual specializations) but with this each class will feel utterly unique and give lots of replay for if you want to play multiple characters. On top of this, personally, EQ and VG have had the best classes out of all the MMOs out there.

Gameplay will focus more on combat rather than loading up on dozens of quests and completing them. Leveling will be obtained more through grouping with friends and strangers alike instead of soloing/grouping from quest to quest. And leveling will take some time unlike some of the current MMOs where you can gain 10 levels alone in a matter of hours.

These are just a few things that I believe Pantheon will include that will make it more like FFXI than FFXIV.

• 66 posts
    May 17, 2017 1:04 PM PDT

Hey Ofhiii

Another FFXI vet sticking his nose in here (Siren Server).

Like you I just the forum a few days ago after watching the vids and reading the posts and dev replied.  I think have come to the right place, this game promises to be what FFXI was in the RoTZ / CoP time frames, heres hoping. :)

This post was edited by DuxDux at May 17, 2017 1:04 PM PDT
    • 422 posts
    May 17, 2017 1:06 PM PDT

bobwinner said:

Snakes will kick.

You've been warned.

RIOT if they don't...

• 294 posts
    May 17, 2017 1:20 PM PDT

I enjoyed EQ1 and loved Vanguardsoh, and have also enjoyed about twenty other games thoroughly. This game is not the same as any of those. Yes, there may be some similarities as in all games, but this title is a work of art, and mechanics, in its own right. It will differ therefore from any other game. You said you've already pledged, so I'd say play and have a great load of fun doing so.

That's the reason I play games: To have fun.

• 131 posts
    May 17, 2017 2:45 PM PDT

Grats on finding Pantheon Ofhiii!!!  So glad you have joined us =)

Sounds to be like you have oome to the right place!

• 801 posts
    May 17, 2017 2:59 PM PDT

ofhiii said:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance

#3 was a joke right? Otherwise why on earth would you not investagate the game prior to pushing money. We are granted access to the game, depending on the package. I hope you understand what we all did here, it isnt an EA purchase.

We all backed this dev team.

Otherwise welcome, and no this game isnt going to be exactly like anyone of them. It will be a new game, with similar features. Glad to have you aboard!!

• 41 posts
    May 17, 2017 3:06 PM PDT

Glad to have you.  Welcome to Pantheon!

• 2752 posts
    May 17, 2017 4:50 PM PDT

kellindil said:

bobwinner said:

Snakes will kick.

You've been warned.

RIOT if they don't...

Oh you can count on it! Seriously, kicking snakes would be a beautiful little easter egg/nod. 

• 318 posts
    May 17, 2017 7:21 PM PDT

ofhiii said:

Thank you so much for all the feedback and links to additional information.

It nice to be able to ask a question on a forum and get honest feedback from the fanbase without disrespecting people or opinions.

I have read all the links provided (still going thru WIKI) and the comments and I believe I have made the right decision and have finally found what I have been looking since FFXI ended (post ABBY)

Now comes the hardest part......the waiting LOL

Thanks again!

Welcome to Pantheon, @ofhiii!

The waiting sucks, but at least there is a great community you get to be a part of in the meantime.

• 119 posts
    May 18, 2017 2:10 AM PDT

even if it's like any other MMO, i don't see why it matters to know that one. for sure, the world will be very different. but from what i've read here in the forum, it's going to be quite different from EQ (i don't know VG) in many ways, so there's no need to worry anyways. i came here hoping for some sort of EQ remake with a different world, and in this regard, there's unfulfilled expectations (disclaimer: that doesn't mean i'm unhappy or regret pledging).

• 3852 posts
    May 18, 2017 7:25 AM PDT

Welcome to Pantheon.

Unlike the great majority of people here I wasn't an EQ player either. It doesn't really matter - I don't follow some of the references people make in posts to specific zones or mobs but that has never stopped me from understanding the basic themes and discussions.

As noted above the important things are the basic tenets shaping Pantheon not whether they came from EQ, Vanguard, other MMOs or were made up as needed by VR.

Like you I truly disliked FFXIV - it had little social aspect (often people wouldn't say one word for an entire dungeon) and it focused far too much on raid-type mechanics (move from pixel to pixel in a preset order rather than actually focusing on the fight with the mobs).

Few of us are delighted with everything about this game. letsdance would have preferred something more similar to EQ - I would prefer less focus on grouping and more solo play (I like to socialize in chat and guilds but not to play in groups 24/7) - etc etc but essentially all of us feel that while Pantheon won't be *totally* perfect for every playstyle represented on these forums it will be a whloe *lot* better than the sad crop of current MMOs.

• 844 posts
    May 18, 2017 8:00 PM PDT

Having played most major MMO's, I would love to play an MMO that was new and fresh. Not simply another copy of a copy slathered with P2W, RNG monetization gimmicks designed to trigger your gambling addiction and keep you endlessly grinding for your next regrade scroll.

Enjoy.