Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting 'guild' halls/areas

• 77 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:27 PM PDT

I fondly remember playing RS back in the day and thing that got me excited were those 'guild' halls for crafters/adventurers etc for those whom had levelled their skill high enough.

It created a sense of excitement and curiosity to work one's way up to gain access to such an area. It need not be as advantageous as it was in RS to have access there, but having an area to gather certain materials without mobs annoying you like out in the world would be a benefit to those wanting to do that. Particularly considering this is a group focused game this would prevent you from dying if you just want to log on for a little bit. Another thought is that it could pose an opportunity for epic crafting quests from some Guru crafting NPC.

The potential limitations of this idea is that it would reduce player count out in the world and may reduce the excitement of the element of danger. It would be something one has to be quite a high level for as a reward for their hard work and gives a sense of pride and identity.

• 110 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:36 PM PDT

What is RS?

• 77 posts
    May 16, 2017 6:52 PM PDT

Runescape.

• 1468 posts
    May 17, 2017 1:04 AM PDT

Vaeruun said:

I fondly remember playing RS back in the day and thing that got me excited were those 'guild' halls for crafters/adventurers etc for those whom had levelled their skill high enough.

It created a sense of excitement and curiosity to work one's way up to gain access to such an area. It need not be as advantageous as it was in RS to have access there, but having an area to gather certain materials without mobs annoying you like out in the world would be a benefit to those wanting to do that. Particularly considering this is a group focused game this would prevent you from dying if you just want to log on for a little bit. Another thought is that it could pose an opportunity for epic crafting quests from some Guru crafting NPC.

The potential limitations of this idea is that it would reduce player count out in the world and may reduce the excitement of the element of danger. It would be something one has to be quite a high level for as a reward for their hard work and gives a sense of pride and identity.

I'm kinda hoping Pantheon will use the EQ or Vanguard solution which was to have major crafting centres in the major cities. That would have the advantage that no matter what race you choose you will have access to a crafting area and that it doesn't split the crafting community into those who have access and those that do not. Having crafting areas in major cities would mean that crafters would gather at the same places and be able to talk to each other while they are crafting something which I find makes crafting much more enjoyable. You will also get access to crafting quest NPCs there as well.

I really hope there will be some major crafting quest lines that take a long time to complete that give some pretty good rewards and stuff. I love crafting but I also enjoy questing so being able to do both at the same time will be pretty cool.

• 18 posts
    June 7, 2017 7:08 PM PDT

i totaly agree. the crafting areas is where the crafters meet and greet eachother. its how we socialize. EQ2 also has a "crafting" chat channel

• 801 posts
    November 14, 2017 10:38 AM PST

Bumping old topic, the other is in the other forums.

The thing is, Open Survival games are becoming very popular when it comes to building bases etc... clan areas to collect things.

What the next gen MMO should have is open plots purchased in zones around the world. Only so many can be purchased and only a set min limit purchase them such as 50+ for grand sized and for the smaller type of 10-49 a smaller type guild hall plot. You can design it any way you like, using the default packages. You can farm for other items around the world to craft unique pieces.

A group of 1-9 can have a house. A standard purchased house. Here you can fashion your house the way you see fit.

These buildings will be seen by players running by but it becomes an instanced zone private to those ranked too. The buildings can not be fashioned using a ugly system but that of a default package. There maybe only so many available around the world, 1 account can only create one with set limits under that banner. The other alts of the account can join freely others guilds.

This opens it up, not causing any real lag issues as it could be a cave dewelling or a simple house, to a grand castle. The more you progress in the game opens up more things, and size of the guild halls.

It is a huge time sync and many players do enjoy putting in time. Nobody has really done this yet that i know of.

Everything is stored via SQL database, and is instanced to that guild only. Everything loads like a zone does.

So each zone maybe only have 10 guild halls grand sized, 25 smaller guild halls and maybe a small city or town of 50+ houses. You may also have 5-10 caves around the map.

Just an idea, i would have loved to see in an MMO, and there is many ways this can be handled. Not your simple mindcraft building but default clan packages, that are displayed real time. They dont have to be very big huge structures but they can slowly grow in size as you progress through the game. Raiding or other ideas i am sure might work there.

Sure some of this has been talked about already in other forums i do not have access too.

• 1785 posts
    November 14, 2017 11:24 AM PST

Cromulent said:

Vaeruun said:

I'm kinda hoping Pantheon will use the EQ or Vanguard solution which was to have major crafting centres in the major cities. That would have the advantage that no matter what race you choose you will have access to a crafting area and that it doesn't split the crafting community into those who have access and those that do not. Having crafting areas in major cities would mean that crafters would gather at the same places and be able to talk to each other while they are crafting something which I find makes crafting much more enjoyable. You will also get access to crafting quest NPCs there as well.

I really hope there will be some major crafting quest lines that take a long time to complete that give some pretty good rewards and stuff. I love crafting but I also enjoy questing so being able to do both at the same time will be pretty cool.

Disclaimer:  We have no idea how crafting will work mechanically so this is all just supposition on my part:

There are two ways to go with enabling crafting.  Pantehon could use either or both of these methods.

Option 1:  Crafting is enabled by means of a tool/kit that you carry around with you.  Using this kit in your inventory drops you into the crafting interface regardless of where you are.

Benefits of doing this:

- You can craft anywhere, which can make for some interesting tie-ins with adventuring content, or even just enable you to help people when and where they need something (for example, making arrows for your group's ranger because they ran out)

- This can cut down on crowding in cities and other areas, although you'll still generally get crowds of crafters sitting around things like bankers or auctioneers/market boards.

Downsides of doing this:

- To craft something, you have to have everything you need on you.  Depending on how recipes work, that can be a big hit on inventory space.

Option 2:  Crafting is enabled by crafting "stations" that you interact with.

Benefits of doing this:

- Crafting stations can be put in places like cities where the designers want people to gather socially.

- "Private" versions of crafting stations can be created that can be placed in player housing.  These crafting stations can have quality levels, giving bonuses to crafting, or can have attached storage, freeing up crafter inventory - both of which make them desirable to have.

Downsides of doing this:

- You can end up with crowds of people standing around the same crafting station, which can be a little immersion breaking.  How many smiths can realistically use the same forge, as an example?

- If crafting stations end up in instanced areas (due to the crowds), you lose the benefit of having them out in places where people gather.

Option 3:  Crafting can happen both individually through a tool/kit, and at a crafting station.

Benefits of doing this:

- You get all the benefits of both of the above options.

- You can introduce a higher element of complexity to recipes that use the crafting stations, or certain recipes that require crafting stations.  For example, maybe your kit can only take recipes with up to 4 ingredients, more than that and you need a station.

Downsides of doing this:

- You can still end up with the downsides listed above.

EQ1 used the first option that I outlined, allowing players to craft anywhere.  Most other games that implement "click-to-get-item" style crafting do as well, although there's no reason they couldn't tie more complex gameplay to it.  EQ2 and Vanguard used the second option, confining crafting to crafting stations.  SWG used the third option, allowing players to do basic crafting with their tool anywhere, but forcing them to use a station for more complex recipes.

My personal preference is Option 3, with the following reasons/caveats:

- I want to allow people to craft simple recipes wherever they are, especially at low levels where it enables crafters to be immediately useful to a group.  So for example potions, ranged ammunition, basic armor, etc.

- I want high-end crafting recipes to have additional complexity.  It should be a considerably more involved process to create that +5 Superior Adamantine Longsword of Dragonslaying than it was to create that Bronze Dagger back when I started.

- I want to give people reasons to congregate in towns/cities.  However, I do not want to introduce overcrowding at service NPCs or at crafting stations, so placement and number of crafting stations is a concern.

- I want housing areas to really matter to players and be population centers in their own right, once housing is put into the game (which I'm pretty sure would be an expansion effort).  See my post in this thread for more on what I'd like to see for that - but having crafting stations as part of housing areas would encourage people to hang around those areas more.

• 334 posts
    November 14, 2017 3:25 PM PST

I see.. Nephele makes such long posts (and informational) that we need a special line in craft skills. Epic friar/monk constructions crafts.
    3D building block Cathedral (build time: 50 ingame years) /shoves Nephele, "you start with the organ"

• 1785 posts
    November 14, 2017 4:25 PM PST

LOL.  If we have vanguard-style buildable ships, houses and guild halls, I *will* get my entire guild working on them.... and then give them away during server events.  Just watch.

• 118 posts
    November 14, 2017 4:50 PM PST

Nephele said:

LOL.  If we have vanguard-style buildable ships, houses and guild halls, I *will* get my entire guild working on them.... and then give them away during server events.  Just watch.

The devs have mentioned a few times a desire for player housing and ships... fingers crossed!

• 3016 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:40 PM PST

I remember major crafting areas in Vanguard, causing major lag,  would prefer to be able to acquire crafting stations for my own little home in Pantheon,  no competition, no lag.  :)   This worked perfectly in EQII and could sell on the auction house through an object that looked like a wardrobe.     No crowding around auction house outlets either. :)

This post was edited by CanadinaXegony at November 15, 2017 12:42 PM PST
    • 5 posts
    November 17, 2017 3:35 PM PST

I'm certainly months late to this part, but...

I would absolutely love to see a revival of Everquest 2-esqe crafting areas in cities.  I have fond memories (especially as a roleplayer) of the little interactions with others crafting in-character.  The little banter, the 'oofs!' as the forge went off and blasted you.. it gave more life to an already wonderful crafting system.

• 801 posts
    November 19, 2017 6:17 AM PST

Not really Khisera, i bumped the old thread to merge info's