Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Lost diamonds in the rough

• 578 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:28 PM PDT

I just checked out the Hellpoint kickstarter and it reminded me of a game I played a while back. It was a game called Hellgate: London. Hellgate was made by some old Diablo devs and played a lot like Diablo just in 3rd and 1st person depending on your class. You leveled up your character and opened up new abilities and skills and there was definitely loads and loads of loot. There were gobs of different types of monsters and bosses to fight that varied in tactics which made combat pretty fun and dynamic.

Problem with Hellgate though was it had a fate similar to Vanguard. I can't remember if it got released early but it had a ROUGH release and was riddled with bugs and even had some unfinished content I believe? I'm not 100% sure on all of what was wrong with it upon release but I know it had its fair share of problems which caused it to not do so well commercially. Eventually it was bought out by another company I think and was cleaned up and then went f2p. But at the end of the day it was one of those games that was actually really good but just didn't get real popular due to circumstances.

Anybody else here know of any games that they loved or games that were actually good games but just didn't do as well as they should have? Obviously, especially with this community, Vanguard would definitely be one of these games.

• 3852 posts
    May 10, 2017 8:03 AM PDT

Hellgate was very good although as you say a lot of flaws. I regretted its demise though I wasn't exactly surprised.

The dead games I regretted the most were actually series more than individual games since this was back before MMOs or MUDs and once a single player game was released it couldn't be killed unless they sent burglars to your house or apartment to steal the box. Might and Magic which essentially died after MM9 (buggy piece of crap), Wizardry which died after Wizardry 8 (great game, the best of all of them) and Jagged Alliance  (squad based combat game by the Wizardry folks) which essentially died after JA 2 1/2.

May they all rest in peace!

• 578 posts
    May 10, 2017 12:35 PM PDT

The original Might and Magic for the the Sega Master system? is one of my ALL time favorite games. It was actually the first game to provide a mini map iirc and was just WAY ahead of its time. I think it was also one of the first open world games even if it wasn't 3d graphics yet.

Wizardry was just brutal and punishing lol.