Forums » General Guild Discussion

Best forums to use for a guild?

• 48 posts
    May 7, 2017 1:58 PM PDT

I have been out of the MMO guild scene for a while, but I purchased my domain and am workingon getting a website set up and now I am wondering what forums do most people use nowadays that work out pretty well? Any advice is welcome.

• 13 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:08 PM PDT

I think most guilds use either enjin, shivtr, guildomatic etc so many easy to setup sites u can use now with build in forums/calendars/DKP/loot council and so on.

If u just want a forum, surely phpbb is enough?

This post was edited by thaitanic at May 7, 2017 3:08 PM PDT
    • 57 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

What thaitanic said, plus guilded.gg if you want something that doesn't look half bad, is feature full (can also request features), and easy to use. I've also built many guild websites over the years and am over it. Guilded is a bunch of clicks and you have a website that serves all the purpose I need. It also has a really solid Discord bot.

• 218 posts
    August 14, 2017 8:31 AM PDT

I know this is a older post but i'd figure i'd weigh in.  It depends on your level of skill with website based stuff.  Are you someone who can install software on a server, customize it, and everything else?  If So your best bet is IPB or Xenforo.  Both paid software but top of the line software at that.  Phpbb can be used but wouldn't recommend the headache that can follow.

• 189 posts
    September 12, 2017 5:18 PM PDT

LOL... Rivacom..... Ancient Guardians is currently on Enjin, but not married to it. If we make a change, it will be before launch, tho! I dont' like confusion! heheee

• 1486 posts
    September 12, 2017 5:22 PM PDT

Rivacom said:

I know this is a older post but i'd figure i'd weigh in.  It depends on your level of skill with website based stuff.  Are you someone who can install software on a server, customize it, and everything else?  If So your best bet is IPB or Xenforo.  Both paid software but top of the line software at that.  Phpbb can be used but wouldn't recommend the headache that can follow.

I totally agree with this. I run Pantheon Crafters on Xenforo and it is great. There are also some good style devs for it that are quite reasonable in price. I used a company called Pixel Exit for my style.

But when I started my guild I used phpBB because I didn't want to pay for website software because I wasn't sure if it was going to take off. Now that we have quite a lot of members I'm thinking of changing the forum software to something a bit better with a custom style. Unfortunately Xenforo doesn't have an importer for phpBB 3.2 which means I can't go there. I might look into IPB instead though. We'll have to see.

So yeah I highly recommend Xenforo. Although Xenforo 2 is going to be out sometime soon so you'll need to pay for a brand new style when that is released so it might be worth waiting for that.

• 218 posts
    September 13, 2017 6:04 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I totally agree with this. I run Pantheon Crafters on Xenforo and it is great. There are also some good style devs for it that are quite reasonable in price. I used a company called Pixel Exit for my style.

But when I started my guild I used phpBB because I didn't want to pay for website software because I wasn't sure if it was going to take off. Now that we have quite a lot of members I'm thinking of changing the forum software to something a bit better with a custom style. Unfortunately Xenforo doesn't have an importer for phpBB 3.2 which means I can't go there. I might look into IPB instead though. We'll have to see.

So yeah I highly recommend Xenforo. Although Xenforo 2 is going to be out sometime soon so you'll need to pay for a brand new style when that is released so it might be worth waiting for that.

I sort of did the same thing.  I started in  2011 with phpbb, we grew so large that phpbb just showed it's flaws.  Moved to vBulletin 3.8(the last good vBulletin).  Tried 4, it was awful to work with and heard ex vBulleting devs moved to Xenforo, quickly sold vBulletin for Xenforo.  

This post was edited by Rivacom at September 13, 2017 6:04 AM PDT
    • 149 posts
    September 13, 2017 7:01 AM PDT

My dad purchased our domain but didn't want to use the typical guild site stuff. So we made our own. May be a bit more expensive that way, but you can make it look really amazing.

Just depends on what you want and how far you're willing to go for it (money, time, etc).

http://www.subterfuge-guild.com

And I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can help with designing for a resonable price.

Hope you find what you're looking for though! Can be a pain in the butt sometimes when you really want a kick-a** forum/website but don't have the means to get it.

• 347 posts
    September 26, 2017 8:38 AM PDT

I just wanted to add some thoughts for anyone still trying to make a decision, and hope it helps :)

As a long-time guild leader I think it's a better option to find a reputable service to host your website, and use that, than it is to try to set up your own using PHPBB or similar.  Most services offer a good level of customization and features, and tools to help spread the cost among your guild members.

The reason I recommend using a service is simply people and life.  Most of us want our guilds to succeed and stand the test of time in games that we play.  That means that there's going to be turnover in our membership - people are going to leave the game, new people are going to come in, and so on.  If you have a guild member hosting/administering your site and that person decides they're done with PRF - or worse, done with your guild, what happens?  Do you trust them to keep it going?  Do you try to move everyone over to a new site?  Even when everyone has good intentions and works together it can still be a nightmare to try to move sites once a guild is up and running for any length of time.

Likewise, what happens if you have a life change and need to hand over leadership of the guild to someone else?  I've known plenty of guild leaders over the years that had to step back because they got a different job, had children, or just simply got burned out.

Heck, what happens if you're on a homegrown site and your hosting provider decides to increase their fees?

Thus why I prefer services.  Services make it easy (mostly) to hand responsibility from one person to another, to keep the guild and the site going even if the original admins are no longer involved.  Plus, most services are big enough (and cloud-based enough) that they're pretty stable in terms of price, you don't have to worry about fees dramatically increasing because the datacenter got popular.

As far as which service to use - honestly, most of them are good.  It's really just a matter of looking at the features and the pricing and deciding what works best for your guild.

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking of setting up a guild site!

• 218 posts
    September 27, 2017 6:16 AM PDT

Nephele said:

I just wanted to add some thoughts for anyone still trying to make a decision, and hope it helps :)

As a long-time guild leader I think it's a better option to find a reputable service to host your website, and use that, than it is to try to set up your own using PHPBB or similar.  Most services offer a good level of customization and features, and tools to help spread the cost among your guild members.

The reason I recommend using a service is simply people and life.  Most of us want our guilds to succeed and stand the test of time in games that we play.  That means that there's going to be turnover in our membership - people are going to leave the game, new people are going to come in, and so on.  If you have a guild member hosting/administering your site and that person decides they're done with PRF - or worse, done with your guild, what happens?  Do you trust them to keep it going?  Do you try to move everyone over to a new site?  Even when everyone has good intentions and works together it can still be a nightmare to try to move sites once a guild is up and running for any length of time.

Although I see your concern,  most of this is easy to avoid.  It's very easy to setup backup systems and recovery options for most modern systems are as easy as point and click.  So even if a host had to change, everything shifting over could be as little as a few minutes.  Not to mention, I would not recommend outsourcing hosting for "your" community to anyone but yourself.  So stuff like this shouldn't really be an issue.

Likewise, what happens if you have a life change and need to hand over leadership of the guild to someone else?  I've known plenty of guild leaders over the years that had to step back because they got a different job, had children, or just simply got burned out.

From my experience, most of the time this actually happens.  The user just steps away, but doesn't remove themselves from the community.  And in most cases the previous admin does whatever they can prior to help anyone new who is in charge of the community.  Not really a reason to avoid custom software over guild hosting sites.

Heck, what happens if you're on a homegrown site and your hosting provider decides to increase their fees?

This is a concern for anyone, but you know what the beauty of it is?  You can find new ones.  Web hosting is a very large markey and there are hundreds of hosts to choose from.  That being said,  I know the cost of my VPS server I use for our website, is far cheaper than what Enjin charges per month.  Not to mention Enjin's prices have increase a number of times, so why is this only a concern for self hosted sites? 

Thus why I prefer services.  Services make it easy (mostly) to hand responsibility from one person to another, to keep the guild and the site going even if the original admins are no longer involved.  Plus, most services are big enough (and cloud-based enough) that they're pretty stable in terms of price, you don't have to worry about fees dramatically increasing because the datacenter got popular.

The fees for these sites are no different than the fees you'd pay for self hosted sites.  Being in the cloud actually would increase the overall price as it's more resources they have to rent.  The only difference is, your pricing is leveraged based on the amount of consumers in the market.  There are a lot more variables that can affect price on hosted sites over hosting it yourself.

You also keep mentioning transfer of services, you still have to transfer ownership in these hosted sites.  Not sure how that's different than say, me giving admin access on my forums.

As far as which service to use - honestly, most of them are good.  It's really just a matter of looking at the features and the pricing and deciding what works best for your guild.

I hope this helps anyone who's thinking of setting up a guild site!

So as I stated above, it depends on your skill level.  Setting up hosting and forum software isn't rocket science and is relatively easy.  The issue with Cookie cutter sites like enjin, and the various other ones is that they start to all look the same.  As soon as I click one I can tell it's from one of these sites. That being said, this might be fine for some, but for myself who has poured hours of work into website for clans, guilds and communities ,  I don't like to skip on the website.  I enjoy a custom made website a lot more and to me, it shows that a leader is committed to running a community.  

• 347 posts
    September 27, 2017 7:48 AM PDT

To each their own.  My opinions come from my experiences with running guild sites on multiple hosts and platforms over the years and having to deal with all the different things I mentioned.  When they did, they were painful every time, because I/my guild hadn't planned on those things happening.  In the end, for the guilds I've run, and for my peace of mind, it was easier to go pick a major service, set up a group pay option through paypal, and be done with it.  Don't get me wrong - I know that it's possible to handle all of those with a homegrown site.  I know a couple of really successful guilds that have used homegrown sites for many years.  But I think for a new guild leader it's a decision that they really should approach objectively.  Using a service gets you a lot of things up front, but you give up some control and customization ability.  Using a homegrown site may be cheaper, but it demands more time and a carries a higher level of risk for someone who's unfamiliar with web site administration.  Pick your poison.

• 1486 posts
    October 9, 2017 4:23 AM PDT

I always recommend using Linode for website hosting. You need to know how to use the Linux command line but you can literally do anything you want with a Linode server (assuming it is legal). Want to run a forum? No problem. Run a Minecraft server? No problem.

I spend $25 a month on my Linode and for that I get automatic backups every 24 hours. I run 5 domains on it. 3 Wordpress sites, one Xenforo site and one PHPbb site and I can use any database server I want along with any HTTP server I want.

As long as I know how to set it up on a Linux server I can do it. I'd never ever go back to using shared hosting. Plus even though Linode is an American company I can use their London datacentre.

• 218 posts
    October 9, 2017 7:14 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I always recommend using Linode for website hosting. You need to know how to use the Linux command line but you can literally do anything you want with a Linode server (assuming it is legal). Want to run a forum? No problem. Run a Minecraft server? No problem.

I spend $25 a month on my Linode and for that I get automatic backups every 24 hours. I run 5 domains on it. 3 Wordpress sites, one Xenforo site and one PHPbb site and I can use any database server I want along with any HTTP server I want.

As long as I know how to set it up on a Linux server I can do it. I'd never ever go back to using shared hosting. Plus even though Linode is an American company I can use their London datacentre.

+1 for linode, i've used them in the past without issue.  Not sure how the pricing stacks up now but I use Ramnode for my mission critical stuff and OVH for other things like discord bots.