Forums » General Guild Discussion

Best forums to use for a guild?

• 44 posts
    May 7, 2017 1:58 PM PDT

I have been out of the MMO guild scene for a while, but I purchased my domain and am workingon getting a website set up and now I am wondering what forums do most people use nowadays that work out pretty well? Any advice is welcome.

• 12 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:08 PM PDT

I think most guilds use either enjin, shivtr, guildomatic etc so many easy to setup sites u can use now with build in forums/calendars/DKP/loot council and so on.

If u just want a forum, surely phpbb is enough?

This post was edited by thaitanic at May 7, 2017 3:08 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    May 7, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

What thaitanic said, plus guilded.gg if you want something that doesn't look half bad, is feature full (can also request features), and easy to use. I've also built many guild websites over the years and am over it. Guilded is a bunch of clicks and you have a website that serves all the purpose I need. It also has a really solid Discord bot.

• 195 posts
    August 14, 2017 8:31 AM PDT

I know this is a older post but i'd figure i'd weigh in.  It depends on your level of skill with website based stuff.  Are you someone who can install software on a server, customize it, and everything else?  If So your best bet is IPB or Xenforo.  Both paid software but top of the line software at that.  Phpbb can be used but wouldn't recommend the headache that can follow.

• 171 posts
    September 12, 2017 5:18 PM PDT

LOL... Rivacom..... Ancient Guardians is currently on Enjin, but not married to it. If we make a change, it will be before launch, tho! I dont' like confusion! heheee

• 1367 posts
    September 12, 2017 5:22 PM PDT

Rivacom said:

I know this is a older post but i'd figure i'd weigh in.  It depends on your level of skill with website based stuff.  Are you someone who can install software on a server, customize it, and everything else?  If So your best bet is IPB or Xenforo.  Both paid software but top of the line software at that.  Phpbb can be used but wouldn't recommend the headache that can follow.

I totally agree with this. I run Pantheon Crafters on Xenforo and it is great. There are also some good style devs for it that are quite reasonable in price. I used a company called Pixel Exit for my style.

But when I started my guild I used phpBB because I didn't want to pay for website software because I wasn't sure if it was going to take off. Now that we have quite a lot of members I'm thinking of changing the forum software to something a bit better with a custom style. Unfortunately Xenforo doesn't have an importer for phpBB 3.2 which means I can't go there. I might look into IPB instead though. We'll have to see.

So yeah I highly recommend Xenforo. Although Xenforo 2 is going to be out sometime soon so you'll need to pay for a brand new style when that is released so it might be worth waiting for that.

• 195 posts
    September 13, 2017 6:04 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I totally agree with this. I run Pantheon Crafters on Xenforo and it is great. There are also some good style devs for it that are quite reasonable in price. I used a company called Pixel Exit for my style.

But when I started my guild I used phpBB because I didn't want to pay for website software because I wasn't sure if it was going to take off. Now that we have quite a lot of members I'm thinking of changing the forum software to something a bit better with a custom style. Unfortunately Xenforo doesn't have an importer for phpBB 3.2 which means I can't go there. I might look into IPB instead though. We'll have to see.

So yeah I highly recommend Xenforo. Although Xenforo 2 is going to be out sometime soon so you'll need to pay for a brand new style when that is released so it might be worth waiting for that.

I sort of did the same thing.  I started in  2011 with phpbb, we grew so large that phpbb just showed it's flaws.  Moved to vBulletin 3.8(the last good vBulletin).  Tried 4, it was awful to work with and heard ex vBulleting devs moved to Xenforo, quickly sold vBulletin for Xenforo.  

This post was edited by Rivacom at September 13, 2017 6:04 AM PDT
    • 140 posts
    September 13, 2017 7:01 AM PDT

My dad purchased our domain but didn't want to use the typical guild site stuff. So we made our own. May be a bit more expensive that way, but you can make it look really amazing.

Just depends on what you want and how far you're willing to go for it (money, time, etc).

http://www.subterfuge-guild.com

And I'm sure there are plenty of people here that can help with designing for a resonable price.

Hope you find what you're looking for though! Can be a pain in the butt sometimes when you really want a kick-a** forum/website but don't have the means to get it.