Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bring them back!

• 513 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:39 PM PDT

I miss the days of original EQ when everyone managed their own stats for their own reason.  Sure, as an Enchanter my primary stat was INT as it was for ANY mage.  But I also loved playing the stats game - getting my INT as high as possible followed closely by my CHA.  Oh the crazy things i did for my CHA!  I also would actively go after STA for hit points and even STR for my staff strikes.  I worked everything as much as I could!  At in as much as it pertained to my class!  And by the time I was done with EQ2 - there was only STA and Int.  I felt like a third of the game had been cut.  Can't tell you how much time was wasted in Rathe Mtn's trying to get that damned +10 CHA hat  (+ TEN cha!).  I want that again....

• 1468 posts
    May 6, 2017 7:56 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I miss the days of original EQ when everyone managed their own stats for their own reason.  Sure, as an Enchanter my primary stat was INT as it was for ANY mage.  But I also loved playing the stats game - getting my INT as high as possible followed closely by my CHA.  Oh the crazy things i did for my CHA!  I also would actively go after STA for hit points and even STR for my staff strikes.  I worked everything as much as I could!  At in as much as it pertained to my class!  And by the time I was done with EQ2 - there was only STA and Int.  I felt like a third of the game had been cut.  Can't tell you how much time was wasted in Rathe Mtn's trying to get that damned +10 CHA hat  (+ TEN cha!).  I want that again....

Yeah I agree with you. I loved trying to find the best gear for my characters in EQ and there was so much gear to choose from that every character looked different and had different stats. It was amazing just seeing all of the different options available to each player. One thing I hated in WoW was that every high end player essentially always had the same gear because it was done in tiered fashion which meant that for each tier you were in there was only one set of armour you could reasonably wear. It ruined the whole looking for gear game that was in EQ.

• 68 posts
    May 7, 2017 6:18 AM PDT

When you Min/Max, gear choice is only an illusion; as is any AA combo. The only thing that will make a min/maxer stand out is their skill level. When people understand this, as happens is most games, things like appearance gear become important to min/maxers.

This is why an in game cash shop with just appearance gear would make a lot of money for VR.

• 1468 posts
    May 7, 2017 6:37 AM PDT

beautifully said:

When you Min/Max, gear choice is only an illusion; as is any AA combo. The only thing that will make a min/maxer stand out is their skill level. When people understand this, as happens is most games, things like appearance gear become important to min/maxers.

This is why an in game cash shop with just appearance gear would make a lot of money for VR.

Given that the devs have said that there will be multiple best in slot items for different situations I don't think min / maxing will be as effective as it is in other games. I hope not anyway. Min/maxing is pretty boring because you just follow a guide someone else has written and you have no choices you can make yourself. Skill is often enough to counteract sub-optimal gear to an extent.

• 3852 posts
    May 7, 2017 6:54 AM PDT

Part of the problem is that too many games treat players as idiots (not without reason from my experience with many of their players). They make only one statistic relevant - maybe two if they are careless. Thus a warrior class may care only about strength and agility doesn't even affect it.

Better to have all statistics relevent even intelligence and wisdom which could affect perception, speed skills are gained, saving throws etc. If all statistics are relevent even min-maxers will have different statistics tied to how they personally play and their individual judgment of priorities.

• 159 posts
    May 8, 2017 3:32 AM PDT

beautifully said:

No. No no no no no. I'm sorry, but if any sort of cash shop appears in the game, I'm 99% sure I'll drop it. I've done it before after investing several years into a game. Cash shops shift the focus from actual content to marketable pixels. I don't know a single case of a cash shop making a game better. If there are to be cosmetics in-game, players should earn them by playing. I'm perfectly happy to pay a monthly subscription, but I will not validate a bottomless money pit model.

• 200 posts
    May 8, 2017 3:45 AM PDT

beautifully said:

But what the OP is saying, is quite the opposite of this. In early EQ it could be useful to gather different sets, with different stats, for different circumstances. I'd love to see that making a comeback, nothing outrageous but simply some pieces to be able to play your character (slightly) differently. I've been missing that ever since as well, that all stats matter in their own way. 

I hope we can move away from 'the right way to gear', as it always immediately seems to imply other ways are automatically 'bad'. I dislike the min/maxing mindset, I hope VR manages to discourage it somewhat :). And I can't stand cash shops, even if it's 'just' appearance stuff but I won't go into that any more *grins*.

• 172 posts
    May 8, 2017 4:35 PM PDT

I agree with the OP in that making it so that all of the stats have relevance will add to the various permutations of different useful gear.  I look forward to being able to use gear that was not neccesarily made for my class, but that could help me in some other way.  Playing creatively and making the best of what I had was what EQ1 was all about for me.

• 513 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:33 PM PDT

I think that when I get some super-high Charisma that my bar tab should go down!

• 417 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:46 PM PDT

Definitely agree the more stats that have relevance to each class the better. Let there be more strategy involved with our decisions.

• 264 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:49 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I agree with this also. Right on the money Nephretiti

• 1434 posts
    May 12, 2017 3:57 PM PDT

I would hope every stat is useful for every class, and it should be an actual decision where we allocate our points and what items we seek to best enhance our playstyle. I'm tired of this boring, linear character development where we only pick one or two stats and everything else is irrelevant. I'd like to see a warrior's taunt more effective if they're intelligent, or wisdom increase their chance to parry. If I pump agility on my wizard instead of intelligence, I should actually see my ability to dodge enhanced for a sacrifice of mana.

• 3237 posts
    May 12, 2017 4:44 PM PDT

Dullahan said:

I would hope every stat is useful for every class, and it should be an actual decision where we allocate our points and what items we seek to best enhance our playstyle. I'm tired of this boring, linear character development where we only pick one or two stats and everything else is irrelevant. I'd like to see a warrior's taunt more effective if they're intelligent, or wisdom increase their chance to parry. If I pump agility on my wizard instead of intelligence, I should actually see my ability to dodge enhanced for a sacrifice of mana.

I would like to see something like this as far as stats having a universal impact across all classes:  (Secondary Bonus)

Strength:  Slightly modifies how much weight you can carry on your person.

Stamina:  Slightly modifies how long you can hold your breath under water and how long you can sprint.

Agility:  Slightly modifies movement speed.

Dexterity:  Slightly modifies climbing ability / falling damage.

Intelligence:  Slightly modifies ability to learn new languages or identify opportunities of some sort, perhaps perception.

Wisdom:  Slightly modifies base resistances and decreases chance of fizzling or being interrupted.

Charisma:  Very slightly modifies hidden luck stat.  Slightly modifies power of persuasion.  (Diplomacy!)

Beyond that, they should also provide their regular benefits:  (Primary Use)

Strength:  Modifies melee attack damage.

Stamina:  Modifies max HP.

Agility:  Modifies defensive abilities such as parry/dodge.

Dexterity:  Modifies melee/ranged accuracy.

Wisdom:  Modifies healing output.

Intelligence:  Modifies offensive spell damage.

Charisma:  Modifies buffs.

I'm not sure what stats will be used in Pantheon but I think it would be cool if stats had a primary use as well as a secondary bonus.  I definitely don't want to stack wisdom for parry or INT for taunt though ... that sounds super backwards for any tank.  I think having secondary bonuses similar to what I have proposed would go a long way with promoting the idea of having situational gear, as well.

This post was edited by oneADseven at May 12, 2017 5:29 PM PDT
    • 138 posts
    May 12, 2017 4:53 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

I think that when I get some super-high Charisma that my bar tab should go down!

haha yeppers!! :D

• 138 posts
    May 12, 2017 4:54 PM PDT

Nephretiti said:

Very much agree with this and miss this as well!!

• 3016 posts
    May 12, 2017 5:21 PM PDT

beautifully said:

No cash shops..we've discussed this many times before.   Many here agree with what I've just stated.   If it is an outside online store that sells, bobbleheads, limited edition art, coffee cups, hoodies...bumper stickers ...I'll do that.   But nothing that resembles pay to win or even close to it.   Start with appearance gear, then it goes to experience potions..etc etc etc ad nauseam.    There are other ways VR can make money,  one of those ways is by encouraging friends to take a look at this game and see if they like it.    The other is by buying expansion packs or Dlc.

• 513 posts
    May 14, 2017 8:16 PM PDT

What about armor type restrictions?  I think we should allow mages to wear certain plate armor.  Let them find out that casting lightening bolt while wearing full copper plate might be a little detrimental to the gaming experience.... 

• 1468 posts
    May 14, 2017 10:01 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

beautifully said:

No cash shops..we've discussed this many times before.   Many here agree with what I've just stated.   If it is an outside online store that sells, bobbleheads, limited edition art, coffee cups, hoodies...bumper stickers ...I'll do that.   But nothing that resembles pay to win or even close to it.   Start with appearance gear, then it goes to experience potions..etc etc etc ad nauseam.    There are other ways VR can make money,  one of those ways is by encouraging friends to take a look at this game and see if they like it.    The other is by buying expansion packs or Dlc.

Agreed. No cash shops. I want everything to do with the game to be included in my monthly subscription. I'd happily buy mugs or a t-shirt or something from a web store though or maybe books about Pantheon or something.