Forums » The Cleric

Complete Heal

• 14 posts
    June 22, 2017 11:51 PM PDT

I've been a healer for many years in EQ2.  

When I am healing and things are serious, I get my enjoyment of it from knowing who and when to throw certain types of heals on. I love figuring that part out. I want to keep my tank healed, and also those around me - but I don't want to spam one type/kind of heal over and over to make that happen. In my opinion, having a complete heal would take some of that energy and excitement away from me, and make the game more on the boring side. Sure, an emergency type heal with certain cool down or time restrictions is nice to have on hand. But, I want situational variety... 

• 16 posts
    June 23, 2017 9:40 PM PDT

Solitude said:

When I am healing and things are serious, I get my enjoyment of it from knowing who and when to throw certain types of heals on. I love figuring that part out. I want to keep my tank healed, and also those around me - but I don't want to spam one type/kind of heal over and over to make that happen. In my opinion, having a complete heal would take some of that energy and excitement away from me, and make the game more on the boring side. Sure, an emergency type heal with certain cool down or time restrictions is nice to have on hand. But, I want situational variety... 

I would love to see cognitive healing come back into play. I love the idea of being able to use multiple spell ranks to get the job done. Why blow 500 mana when you could blow 250 for a lower version of the same spell rank and get the job done just as well. The ability to cognitvely heal comes in handy at higher levels when you as a healer have to micro manage your mana reserve. Healing use to have a fun strategic component tied into it, when there was actual critical though process invloved in spell choice and rank.

As a cleric I love the idea of having complete heal, its a good emergancy heal and can come in handy should additional mobs spawn on your group, or if a train runs through. But in a normal situation the only classes that should really benefit from a complete heal are the tanks as their health pools are naturally the largest amoung the classes. From playing: Wow, rift, eso, and Tara, it kind of bothers me that in most healing situations you use the highest spell rank possible to get the job done, even on a mage like dps who have far less health and require far less healing.

Honestly for me personally healing has gotten to the state of mind numbing boredom. There use to be times of situational crisis, in which it felt rewarding to be a healer. These situations really set a first class healer appart from the rest. They invloved intense critical thinking and situational change, as well as your own judgment in mana management. If you managed to stave your group off the brink of death in these situations, you felt like you actually did your part in carrying your team to victory.

I remember heal juggling aggro in EQ1 as a cleric to take some of the pressure from the rest of the group, until cc could be placed on them. I miss this kind of strategic game play. As a healer main, I have personally found encounters to become less rewarding in their challenge aspect. While they still have a difficulty aspect in their mechanics, their ability to incorporate strategic gameplay has decreased over time. And while difficulty is important, player strategy and ability to adapt have to be incoporated for rewarding, and challenging gameplay.

• 14 posts
    June 24, 2017 7:41 PM PDT

Baldur said:

Solitude said:

I would love to see cognitive healing come back into play. I love the idea of being able to use multiple spell ranks to get the job done. Why blow 500 mana when you could blow 250 for a lower version of the same spell rank and get the job done just as well. The ability to cognitvely heal comes in handy at higher levels when you as a healer have to micro manage your mana reserve. Healing use to have a fun strategic component tied into it, when there was actual critical though process invloved in spell choice and rank.

As a cleric I love the idea of having complete heal, its a good emergancy heal and can come in handy should additional mobs spawn on your group, or if a train runs through. But in a normal situation the only classes that should really benefit from a complete heal are the tanks as their health pools are naturally the largest amoung the classes. From playing: Wow, rift, eso, and Tara, it kind of bothers me that in most healing situations you use the highest spell rank possible to get the job done, even on a mage like dps who have far less health and require far less healing.

Honestly for me personally healing has gotten to the state of mind numbing boredom. There use to be times of situational crisis, in which it felt rewarding to be a healer. These situations really set a first class healer appart from the rest. They invloved intense critical thinking and situational change, as well as your own judgment in mana management. If you managed to stave your group off the brink of death in these situations, you felt like you actually did your part in carrying your team to victory.

I remember heal juggling aggro in EQ1 as a cleric to take some of the pressure from the rest of the group, until cc could be placed on them. I miss this kind of strategic game play. As a healer main, I have personally found encounters to become less rewarding in their challenge aspect. While they still have a difficulty aspect in their mechanics, their ability to incorporate strategic gameplay has decreased over time. And while difficulty is important, player strategy and ability to adapt have to be incoporated for rewarding, and challenging gameplay.

Very well said, and I couldn't agree more! Especially the mind numbing boredom. I do miss the days when being a healer wasn't easy and only those dedicated and, like you said, with critical thinking and focus, were at the top of the game. More so, again, is the feeling of being an absolutely needed player in the group to progress.

It is my hope that we will see some of this make a come back with Pantheon. 

• 30 posts
    July 10, 2017 7:11 PM PDT

I healed as a cleric in EQ1 for several years (kunark through PoP, mostly) and I feel like I have a different opinion on the CH. The cast time was so long on it that you had to be a real good judge of the fights and your tank in order to get it off sufficiently. You would have to possibly spot heal or HoT beforehand in order to buy yourself enough time. CH was one of the more mana efficient heals and the best healers would time the CH on the tanks and not end up having to blow a ton of mana trying to "catch up" with less mana-efficient heals. If you couldn't be a good judge of the time factor of the CH, it would drastically effect your ability to efficiently heal and keep things rolling. Sure, I could sit there and spam "Greater Healing" over and over again, but it wasn't efficient and you would end up causing your group to have to take med breaks.