Forums » The Rogue

Hmm, no perma stealth...

• 10 posts
    May 14, 2018 8:00 PM PDT

I agree rogs need to have stealth that is not time or movement limited.

I posted ages ago that rogs need to do two things, mass damage and move around with limited restrictions.

CC and other utility is all secondary to me.  I love rogs and i hate when games dilute those two major roles.  The other stuff is nice, but not worth it to me at the expense of pure unadulterated damage and ability to move around in situations which other are unable to. 

In EQ i love helping others via CR or getting down to camps that others may not be able to reach.  I like scouting into places and reporting out to the group.  The thought that a rog in this environment would not be as "stealthy" just makes me sad.  If you lose that then there are many other classes that and produce damage but comes with far better secondary abilities.

• 10 posts
    May 17, 2018 10:55 AM PDT

From watching the rogue perspective streams, it seemed they had a mana based stealth with an extremely long duration.  Might not be permanent, but probably effectively ends that way.

*edit

Appears they get permanent stealth by upgrading Shadow Walk (mana-draining) to Shadow Dwell, which is no-cost.

This post was edited by Apoxar at May 17, 2018 11:06 AM PDT
    • 79 posts
    May 17, 2018 10:57 AM PDT
    Personally I thought the rogue had the best set of skills possible for a dps class. I mean ccs, interrupts, flying attack, backstab, bleeds, poisons they will be Beasts!! Ok you might get a stealth timer, but hey you can't get everything. In my eyes and compared to ranger and monk they already have a Lot to offer apart from dpsing.
    • 37 posts
    May 17, 2018 5:18 PM PDT

Well based on yesterday's newsletter, it looks like they will end up having a permenant stealth.

Shadow Dwell

Rogues can evolve their Shadow Walk ability into Shadow Dwell, achieving a nearly supernatural degree of stealth which does not require mana to sustain.

I'm assuming this will be unlocked in the later levels.

• 10 posts
    May 19, 2018 10:45 AM PDT

chobo said:

Well based on yesterday's newsletter, it looks like they will end up having a permenant stealth.

Shadow Dwell

Rogues can evolve their Shadow Walk ability into Shadow Dwell, achieving a nearly supernatural degree of stealth which does not require mana to sustain.

I'm assuming this will be unlocked in the later levels.

It sounds like unlocking it at a later level is not how it will work. Chris touches on this in his interview with MMORPG at the 27:50 mark. Stating that they kind of snuck in a little tease to an evolving spell mechanic they are working on internally which you can see he eludes to in their wording. "Rogues can evolve their Shadow Walk ability into Shadow Dwell,". 

This might be something interesting to look out for in future reveals to get a better idea of what they are planning.

• 34 posts
    May 19, 2018 11:44 AM PDT

Even if you don’t have a permanent stealth as a long time rogue main I would say you should just work on using it between areas where it’s needed and the such. 

Use it wisely not carelessly 

• 670 posts
    May 21, 2018 10:50 AM PDT

eldrun said:

Even if you don’t have a permanent stealth as a long time rogue main I would say you should just work on using it between areas where it’s needed and the such. 

Use it wisely not carelessly 

Agreed. I mained a rogue back in ye olde EQ, and the suspense was always the fear of being seeing/running into the mob that would "con" Ready to Attack despite my hide/sneak being on. It sounds like what they're delivering is forcing us to spend our stealth wisely, which could very well increase that suspense into something even more fun. 

Before the stealth runs out, for example, and you're deep in a dungeon scrambling to find a safe corner somewhere before it breaks, somewhere you can catch your breath until you can re-activate stealth. 

Overall, while I'll probably main a tank this time around, I'm very pleased with the direction they're going on Rogues. Brings me back.