Forums » The Warrior

Taunting/Agro Control

    • 18 posts
    April 30, 2017 11:35 AM PDT

    I have not seen this talked about yet so I am going to start a conversation about Taunting.  In my eyes you 3 types of way to get agro off of a caster/healer..

    1) A single target taunt that makes the mob stop what it is doing and turn and attack you.  Duration of how long that mob is on you is up for debate.

    2) Hate/Agreesion Table.  The highest player on the list keeps and get's agro,  Normally there is some type of Agro/Hate dump that can be done by DPS to a single target to make sure that the top of the table is held by a Tank.

    3) Multiple Target Taunt that does not reguire you to attack a single mob.  You can AOE and this becomes an instant taunt that will turn mobs.

     

    I personally like the single target taunt for Warriors.  Normally a Warrior will have duel wield so they will be doing damange on mobs and it would force us to attack multiple mobs at one time if we want to keep or pull more then one mob at a time.  If I just have to hit an AOE taunt, then stand there that isn't fun.  Make us work for our AOE groups.   However, I do like that one of Tank Types has an AOE taunt like the Dire Lord or the Paladin from Vanguard.  Big cool down, but something that can be used if all heck breaks loose.

    What do you guys like for Taunting and Agro Control?

     

     

    • 21 posts
    April 30, 2017 1:05 PM PDT
    Actually had a pretty good discussion on this topic here: https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/1636/new-concept-for-warriors/view/page/1 I think page 2 is where it really got into it
    • 18 posts
    May 1, 2017 4:23 PM PDT

    Thanks

    • 21 posts
    May 2, 2017 2:37 PM PDT

    No worries

    • 431 posts
    May 3, 2017 11:38 PM PDT

    Kecho said:

    If I just have to hit an AOE taunt, then stand there that isn't fun.  Make us work for our AOE groups. 

    Definitely a fan of this line!

    You may be also interested in putting your 2 cents in here re: the good and bad of AoE Taunt (and DPS)

    https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/3132/keeping-aoe-dps-aoe-taunting-to-a-minimum

     

    • 2377 posts
    May 4, 2017 5:21 AM PDT

    This is the description of Taunt we have from Cohh's monk in the April stream:

    Taunt: "Taunt your target to attack you, generating increased threat for 3 seconds. [L1]"

    So it is single-target and over-time. It does not appear to automatically guarantee you to be at the top of the hate list. I suspect the amount of damage you deal within those three seconds will make a big difference as to how much threat you can generate. The taunt just amplifies it. I also suspect increased levels of Taunt will increase the amount of hate generated and possibly the duration.

    • 3 posts
    May 14, 2017 9:20 PM PDT

    warriors use DPS for AE aggro in Vanguard.

    • 14 posts
    June 8, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

    Lol... go watch that new Wonder Woman movie.

    Best. MT. Ever.

    'She's taking all the fire! ASSIST! ASSIST!'

    I'll take a Warrior Class just like that, thanks. Complete with the guys in the back wondering when the nerf is coming.

    And if she was any weaker.. her Leeroy Jenkins of No Man's Land would have been awesome.

     

     


    This post was edited by Quillim at June 8, 2017 3:44 PM PDT
    • 111 posts
    June 14, 2017 8:12 AM PDT

    I hope to see more positional MoB control. Give warriors the ability to harpoon a fleeing MoB to pull them back or deliver a kick to the knee to keep them from racing after the healer. I never understood the concept that yelling profanities at a giant rat would keep it attacking me instead of the wizard throwing fireballs at it.

    • 128 posts
    October 3, 2017 8:59 PM PDT

    Kecho said:

    I have not seen this talked about yet so I am going to start a conversation about Taunting.  In my eyes you 3 types of way to get agro off of a caster/healer..

    1) A single target taunt that makes the mob stop what it is doing and turn and attack you.  Duration of how long that mob is on you is up for debate.

    2) Hate/Agreesion Table.  The highest player on the list keeps and get's agro,  Normally there is some type of Agro/Hate dump that can be done by DPS to a single target to make sure that the top of the table is held by a Tank.

    3) Multiple Target Taunt that does not reguire you to attack a single mob.  You can AOE and this becomes an instant taunt that will turn mobs.

    I personally like the single target taunt for Warriors.  Normally a Warrior will have duel wield so they will be doing damange on mobs and it would force us to attack multiple mobs at one time if we want to keep or pull more then one mob at a time.  If I just have to hit an AOE taunt, then stand there that isn't fun.  Make us work for our AOE groups.   However, I do like that one of Tank Types has an AOE taunt like the Dire Lord or the Paladin from Vanguard.  Big cool down, but something that can be used if all heck breaks loose.

    What do you guys like for Taunting and Agro Control?

    I've always said since the early EQ days I could care less if I hit like a wet noodle so long as I can hold aggro and mitigate damage. That stands true today. I'm hoping that the warrior's aggro holding ability will in some ways be tied to their weapon choice. So for an example, say a sword and shield warrior along with taunts will also have the added bonus of being able to deliver a shield bash that may can interrupt casting and generate a bit more aggro. 

    In earlier EQ aggro became a kind of group responsibility as there was no AoE taunt for warriors, so it wasn't solely on the tank. Nuke happy wizards had to time their attacks or risk getting a facial realignment. :) But I've always viewed the AoE taunt as a long term taunt that comes sealed in a jar with a sign that reads, "Break Glass in Case of a Train".

    However, Vanguard offered some other options to help augment a warrior's tanking ability with both offensive and defensive targets and skills for each. There are a lot of good tanking abilities that have come out over the years that it would be nice to see in some form as the warrior that go beyond just taunting, but don't really enhance the damage of the warrior such as a long cooldown skill in LOTRO called Turn the Tables, which if stunned would allow the tank to reverse it (handy if a few mobs popped up and one stunned you before you could react)). From Vanguard you had skills like Protect, which would allow you to intercept an attack on your defensive target. There are a lot of useful skills that can be added without making them feel like just another caster.

    That being said, if all goes as we hope, the enchanter or other CC classes should be handling those adds as trying to tank multiples will probably end in a tragic (though sometimes comedic) disastrous end.

     :)

    • 119 posts
    October 14, 2017 2:14 PM PDT

    I would love a combination of EQ and WoW.  Taunt aggro for x seconds, but also puts you atop the aggro table.

     

    From the description of our taunt iteration... it looks pretty good!

    • 128 posts
    October 14, 2017 6:20 PM PDT

    Porygon said:

    I would love a combination of EQ and WoW.  Taunt aggro for x seconds, but also puts you atop the aggro table.

     

    From the description of our taunt iteration... it looks pretty good!

    Tell you another skill that sometimes had hilarious consequence to help with aggro control. Rift's sabo build had a skill where you could put explosive charges on a mob and then toss a mark on your tank and then detonate and then tranfer the aggro. Now that was handy for pulling, but if the sabo forgot to mark the tank for transfer, well, hilarity ensued.

    • 119 posts
    October 14, 2017 10:48 PM PDT

    Kratuk said:

    Porygon said:

    I would love a combination of EQ and WoW.  Taunt aggro for x seconds, but also puts you atop the aggro table.

     

    From the description of our taunt iteration... it looks pretty good!

    Tell you another skill that sometimes had hilarious consequence to help with aggro control. Rift's sabo build had a skill where you could put explosive charges on a mob and then toss a mark on your tank and then detonate and then tranfer the aggro. Now that was handy for pulling, but if the sabo forgot to mark the tank for transfer, well, hilarity ensued.

     

    Wow hunter forgets to misdirect... ive done.. err seen that happen before.