Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

sound effects and visuals

• 24 posts
    April 21, 2017 7:42 AM PDT

Is there anything known yet about bossfights and quest triggers - perception comes in mind - that will occur by sound effects or visual effects? 

Since I am hearing impaired i need visual effects to replace the sound mechanics in boss fights. I am also a bit worried about the perception system that might trigger quests by hearing something, which i will obviously miss, even with high perception.

But since this game will also have visual impaired people that will mostly rely on sound triggers, i honestly hope that those effect will have both: visual AND sound effects.

I have watched the video's and since i cannot hear the spoken explanation, i might have missed something actual being explained. I also know that a lot will change before its finished, but i hope that someone can tell me if there are plans towards sound/visual effects. 

• 1584 posts
    April 21, 2017 7:46 AM PDT

On a Video when the preception system triggers it was writin on the screen saying you notice something or heard somethign so im sure you will be fine, as im sure they thought ahead on this and decided when it triggered that everyone playing the game would know that it triggered.

• 2886 posts
    April 21, 2017 7:50 AM PDT

There are definitely plenty of seeing/hearing impaired players (See https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/5819/requests-from-the-visionally-impaired). And it's a legitimate concern. I have not heard any official word on it, but I expect VR to be accomodating. There's no reason why you should be at a disadvantage. Some people have to have their sound turned off while they're playing. Or perhaps there are other loud people in the room. You shouldn't be penalized for just missing one auditory hint. This is definitely the sort of thing that will probably be discussed during testing.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at April 21, 2017 7:52 AM PDT
    • 422 posts
    April 21, 2017 9:02 AM PDT

I would absolutely love to see something like they did in DDO. They would have a sound effect, some text appear saying something along the lines of you hear such or see such but it wasn't always incredibly specific, but they would also have a narrator speak the text displayed on the screen. It made it feel as if my life had voice over narration. I just absolutely loved that. It brings back the feeling of playing the pen and paper D&D games, and might serve to help people such as yourself and the visually impaired both.